Spyder Garage

Default Heated seat (button)

I purchased 2 heated pads for my RT ( Drivers and Passenger) Where is everyone putting the switch to turn them on? I have 2 round buttons I believe. Just curious I am considering drilling holes in the center switch location on the dash that is empty. I am also considering buying a oem switch and wire both into that. Just curious what others have done as in switch location

Spyder Garage

consider using a relay to the higher amperage of the heated seats.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yes, you can install them on the center plate between all the other switches, but digging down to that panel requires a whole of tupperware surgery. Not impossible (I installed USB ports there), but tedious. Definitely use a relay.

You could also dig into the tupperware panel that just under the seat. If you do, leave enough slack in the wire so that when you pull of the panel you have a bit of play.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

3 questions?

I’m confused on the relay. Dave (motocycle Dave’s kit) recommends it be hardwired straight to the battery. Then to the switches and then the seat. The battery lead has a fuse Built in for it.

If I wanted to put a switch in the center slot to control both at once ( on off ) what is the best switch to get that is fit and finished looking like the OEM switches?

Is it possible to get access to the existing switches so when the heated handgrips are turned on the seat is turned on instead of using any switches? Simply flip switch on front and drivers turn on, push power button twice on passenger finger tip pad and both grips and seat heaters turn on?

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    3 questions?

If I wanted to put a switch in the center slot to control both at once ( on off ) what is the best switch to get that is fit and finished looking like the OEM switches?

Is it possible to get access to the existing switches so when the heated handgrips are turned on the seat is turned on instead of using any switches? Simply flip switch on front and drivers turn on, push power button twice on passenger finger tip pad and both grips and seat heaters turn on?
    If you look for “Rocker Switch” on Amazon there are many choices that will fit. Most are black and backlit, and most have some label. These will fit in the front switch panel, although you’ll have to expand the existing round hole to a larger rectangular one. Not difficult.

Wiring to the grip heater switch should work, but nothing so fancy as you describe. I can’t imagine that doing anything more than “On” and “Off”. And I wouldn’t try to pull that much current from the grip heater circuit, I’d definitely use a relay for that and pull power from the battery.

If you wire to the battery and mount a switch on the switch panel, you run the possibility of running your battery down if you walk away from the bike with the switch left on. I’d use a relay (you can power one through the LED power light of an adjacent switch) so that the seat will automatically cut off with the ignition even if you leave the switch on.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

For that application I'd use a DPDT switch and a DPDT relay so that the front seat could be turned on by itself if Management didn't ride with you every time. You can order both of those from wish.com but will hafta wait a few weeks for them to get here. If you need a wiring diagram I could whip one up for you.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black