Spyder Garage

Default Non-Ethanol Gas - really like

I have a station by me that sells non-ethanol gas and I started using it a few weeks ago. I like it and it feels like it makes a difference. With winter coming I am hoping it will help protect the engine and lines during the winter when I cannot ride daily.
    Jim

Spyder Garage

It's the best you can feed your steed. Doesn't break down quickly like unleaded gas. Less chance of getting water in the fuel. I ran it when I lived in the N/E for a month before storing the bike for winter. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

it is good & getting harder to find still wouldn’t hurt to add som stabilizer to the system if your not gonna be able to move it at all. Just cranking & let idle helps, but is usually not effective overall. Many components need movement & circulation (in system not just fuel tank, put in before last fill up so it gets mixed well & pumped into lines)
    Last edited by Bfromla; 10-15-2019 at 10:00 PM. Reason: (B4)

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I jump for it all I can!! We call it dirty gas, but we love it!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

In my area, choice in premium is either 91 octane/100% gas or 93 octane/10% ethanol. During riding season, it's either/or, although I'll use the 100% gas if convenient for a bit more mpg's. That said, why would one crank/let idle the motor during storage? That's not a good thing for the oil, unless you run it to full operating temps. Put on a BT and nighty night..

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I am lucky live next to a station that sells it only thing i run in my spyder and truck.
    2019 RT , lamonster ext brake pedal GRAY

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    In my area, choice in premium is either 91 octane/100% gas or 93 octane/10% ethanol. During riding season, it's either/or, although I'll use the 100% gas if convenient for a bit more mpg's. That said, why would one crank/let idle the motor during storage? That's not a good thing for the oil, unless you run it to full operating temps. Put on a BT and nighty night..
    True that... Unless you can get the oil to operating temperature (nearly impossible to do without riding it) to vaporize the moisture and contaminants, you're doing more harm than good. One of the worst things you can do to an engine is have it idle for long periods when cold. Definitely not recommended.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

All the gas in AK was non-ethanol. Here in AR...10% ethanol seems to be the going thing. Hopefully, there will be no winter lay up for months like we experienced in AK. I am thinking no more than a week at a time here. Time will tell. I will let you know in the spring.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer.....

Around here I have not run across any... we get the added good fortune of being fed seasonal blends at higher prices... I do run seafoam every few tankfuls to keep things operating as they should. I do have a station that sells racing fuel and will put a pep in her step for a fun ryde....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

In Reno there are only a few stations that sell e-free gas and charge a premium for it --50 cents higher than 92 octane. I'd put it in the -- but I really like to run the higher octane ( e-free is 87 octane here) with the stage1 ECU upgrade -------- which by the way is WONDERFUL!!!. There is a station about 40 miles south of here that sells 100 octane e-free at $7 per gal.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Around here I have not run across any... we get the added good fortune of being fed seasonal blends at higher prices... I do run seafoam every few tankfuls to keep things operating as they should. I do have a station that sells racing fuel and will put a pep in her step for a fun ryde....
    We can find it here in Maine a lot around some boat marinas! But , yes the old race fuel is fun to, and it smells soooooooooooo good
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I have been burning 10% ethanol fuels since the early 80's. I have never had a problem with it. Over 300,000 miles on different bikes and no problems whatsoever. You might get a couple more MPG on straight gas but at what cost? It runs 30 cents a gallon more most of the time in IA.

Some of you older guys might remember a product called Heet used to thaw your gas lines in winter? Yah, wood alcohol.
    2018 Spyder ST Limited , Asphalt Gray

Spyder Garage

I have used e10 for years in cars trucks and vans with no fuel related issues. Snowblower, lawn mower and other gas powered gear get non ethanol fuel because they do not get used as often as the vehicles, and the users manual says not to use e10. Most stations here in NW Iowa sell e10 and e 0, with e10 being cheaper than e 0 and e 0 Premium. For the Spyder and the Nomad I usually run e 0, but have not had any issues using e10. I use fuel stabilizer in the bikes starting in October, because we never know when they will go into winter storage. I also always use stabilizer in mower and snowblower fuel because it can sit for weeks or months without use.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dpetrick View Post
    I have used e10 for years in cars trucks and vans with no fuel related issues. Snowblower, lawn mower and other gas powered gear get non ethanol fuel because they do not get used as often as the vehicles, and the users manual says not to use e10. Most stations here in NW Iowa sell e10 and e 0, with e10 being cheaper than e 0 and e 0 Premium. For the Spyder and the Nomad I usually run e 0, but have not had any issues using e10. I use fuel stabilizer in the bikes starting in October, because we never know when they will go into winter storage. I also always use stabilizer in mower and snowblower fuel because it can sit for weeks or months without use.
    Your doing it right in my book!! If you have to use the e10 use your stabilizer and you will not get caught with your pants down! I had a chain saw once that would not start, had the e10 in it, didn't think it had been sitting that long, cracked on that till my arm was going to fall off!!! Just before I was ready to throw the dam thing in the stream out back I poured the gas out and put fresh gas in, both gases smelled fine!! First pull of the new gas it fired and ran! There wasn't enough popcorn in that old gas to make it pop, darn This e10 crap sucks!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl