Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Living below your means

I see people around me who have all kinds of cool stuff. Yes, I have stuff, but I buy below what I can afford. Like, I bought a Ryker rather than an F3, I bought a Yamaha XRS rather than a Ducati, and just recently, I purchased a Honda rather than a Lexus. Even the Cadillac I owned I bought second hand. I live in a fairly small condo rather than a townhouse. I have never been on a fancy vacation.

So my savings and investments reflect my restraint. All is good. Or is it? I can't help but be jealous of these people. I know my pay is on par with many of them. But they live in big houses and drive new BMW's. I wonder if they just get a big inheritance. I have no inheritance per say. Both my parents where greedy sociopaths that only left debt in their wake. I do really like my new car. I am fortunate I can get a good car. But when I compare it to my wok parking lot full of Porsche, MB, Lexus and BMW, I feel jealous. I have the money for such a car, but I'm in this world alone. I need a good sized backup because I have no safety net.

I'm just rambling. I think we all fall pray to Consumerism.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-15-2019 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Title
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

https://youtu.be/r0HX4a5P8eE

The term is delayed gratification. I always explain to the young folks that we all suffer at some point in time. To a young person suffering may be the inability to buy those new sneakers or big screen TV. To an old guy suffering may be not being able to afford that replacement hip. You have to make a choice.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Rouge Hawk....you and I have much in common, except for one thing you mention; I have no jealousy or envy for those who have more than I. I also buy what I can afford to pay cash for, so I can live without debt. I knew what a burden debt was in my first marriage and swore off of it. We saw what happened to those who mortgaged their futures with excesses when the recession of '08 hit. My wife and I came through it OK because of zero debt - we even paid off our house years ago.
    I have been on motorcycle forums a long time and I can't count the amount of posts I've seen where someone is financing a toy for crying out loud! Nothing to envy there Mr. Hawk. Those big houses and fancy cars and toys, for the most part, aren't even theirs, a lender has the titles.
    So enjoy the hell outa what you have. After all, it's yours and no one else's.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

i'm the same way, thats why i have a used rs now, in fact i don't buy anything i can't save up and pay cash for and haven't had a payment on anything in over 20 years, i don't envy the people on f3's though, or the people i ride with on the new harleys, mines paid for and has been since i have owned it,
    2015 rs

Spyder Garage

Having stuff is not what it is all about. You don't own stuff. The stuff owns you. If you have enough, that is all you need. I don't buy anything unless I can pay for it............

Actually, I do own a new 2019 F3-S........... and I paid cash for it.

Many of the people who look like they have it all, have big debts and that is all. Keep living sensibly and you will be able to buy anything you want some day.

2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

You folks are wise!!!!

Spyder Garage

What everyone said^^^^

I don't know how old you are but you'll have the last laugh when you are able to retire a decade (or more) earlier than your peers.

Spyder Garage

Hawk - you are a wise dude!

My second car is a Ryker - why? - because in the beautiful climate that I enjoy 10 months of the year this is how I prefer to travel!

I can afford another nice auto but I want the wind in my hair and although I am 77 years old I do believe I will ryde with the wind for another 23 years!

Spyder Garage

If who you are is what you have and what you have is lost than who are you ?
    2015 Canam Spyder F3-S SE6
    Detachable Passenger backrest #219400703
    Gauge Spoiler #219400531
    Blue Ridge Windshield #219400746
    Hood stripes decal kit #219400711
    F3 Idler Pulley #219800431 / Lamonster roller upgrade
    Bajaron SwayBar
    Elka Stage 2 rear shock
    Arc LED fog lights
    Lamonster F3 bar clamp with Quad-lock phone mount
    Foam Hand Grip Covers
    Tufskinz Peel & Stick Tank Protector Pad (Glossy doomed carbon)

Spyder Garage

We only have one car. We would rather ride. Need one to haul the dogs, and big stuff that won’t fit the the trailer. We lease it, as even used cars depreciate so quickly! I could envision no car, just uber if we have to. Or rent one for a specific need. Cars consume cash: gas, oil, insurance, tags and on and on. Since we drive it maybe twice a week, the depreciation is absurd! We used to have 3 cars, a big toyhauler trailer, a trophy house, on the water.....and massive debt. We have a smaller home, 1 car, and enjoy ourselves a whole lot. Good trade!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Rogue
    I think debt is a fact of life. If you live without it then fantastic. Our money goes on our kids and grandkids trying to help them out where and when we can and I have no regrets in that regard. Getting closer to retirement has prompted me to reduce/eliminate overheads including selling off unused vehicles and other items, without being ridiculous i.e. keeping items the family and I use/enjoy. I know people with expensive vehicles and yes they are nice however if I had to live with the sort of debt to have one then no thanks. I thanked you for your post as it was a reminder to not fall into the trap of "if they can afford it why can't I?" The answer of course as others have mentioned is most often they don't actually own the items. I really enjoy what I have and get to enjoy the visual and aural excitement of what others have without the debt!
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

I am debt free and endeavor to stay that way. Sure a new truck would be be nice but for as much as I paid for my house? No thanks, I’ll just put a lot less into my Excursion and fix it up.
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My wife & i live what some would consider below our means. i have a '99 solara & my wife a '15 crosstrek. we own our apartment we live in & our
    house that we rent out. i bought both my bikes with cash doing sunday car shows and now do some ebay. we have what we want & will do early
    retirement in a few years while we can still enjoy life.
    We will retire debt free with ss being a bonus not a lifeline and of course moving down south to get more value for what we spent our life working
    and saving for.
    Those who wish to show off that can afford it, great for them, those who do so with large debt well too bad after all it is a personal choice.
    We have what we want & do what we want but of course we would like more and it doesn't bother us if we don't have it since we have each other.

Spyder Garage

I agree that debt/loans is hard to avoid, most people need it for a house etc.
    Personally I try to avoid any other loans though, both mine and my wife's car are 10-15 year old cars that are quite cheap to maintain. We have a decent living standard, but keep costs down. For example buying entry level smart phones instead of top of the line, and when buying a new TV every 7 years, we go for entry level of last years model when it's on sale.
    For me, living cheap and prioritizing what you spend money on - gives me economical wiggle room to afford a Ryker

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have been told that everyone has there own thing. What one person considers a waste, another considers a necessity. Example, I have a buddy that picks on me for using coupons and being frugal when it comes to buying cloths. Yet, he lives in a nice neighborhood, and needs to save up funds to buy a $5k dollar car, in which he only needs $3k to pay down. While I have been living cheaply, and eating with coupons when I can, I just purchased a 2 year old, sweet little convertible, which I paid for cash. Yes, I live in a slightly smaller house, but mine is paid for. I do buy my toys (bikes, spyders, convertible), but always within reason, and if I cannot pay cash, I don't get it. Some people smoke, some drink, some have other hobbies (guns, knives, antiques, etc.), but I like things that I can ride. Now, do I save for the future? Yes, you better believe I do, but I also believe in living for the present. Unfortunately (mostly due to my wife), we have spoiled our kids (24 & 32), and they have gotten an idea that we owe them something. But I have decided that although I plan on leaving them some of an inheritance, it will be more of a "what's left". Mainly because they have been given so much already. What kids need to learn (as I did), is that anything that your parents do for you past the age of 18 is strictly out of love. They owe you NOTHING!
    But, after purchasing my convertible, I realize something, although it is nice, it does the same job as my 11 year old Suzuki Grand Vitara. It gets me from point A to point B. So, in short, if you see something that you really want, and can afford it, get it. But just realize that you should get it for yourself. Not to impress someone else.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hawk View Post
    I see people around me who have all kinds of cool stuff. Yes, I have stuff, but I buy below what I can afford. Like, I bought a Ryker rather than an F3, I bought a Yamaha XRS rather than a Ducati, and just recently, I purchased a Honda rather than a Lexus.

So my savings and investments reflect my restraint.
    You have quite the restraint with 3 moto's.

I guess restraint is just a matter of perspective.

Spyder Garage

Another great discussion.

We have passed the retirement phase now and are living on proceeds from 401K and SS. It would have been nice had I saved more when I was working...but...you know what they say about 20/20 hindsight.

Fortunate enough that our AK home sold at asking price and gave us enough to start our life in AR with a new home. All our vehicles are paid for, and we carry no other debt other than a small mortgage compared to AK.

We have to be a bit more frugal than we were, but we are making it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Things aren't life, family and friends are life. Envy is a normal feeling, it is important how to deal with it. Just find out why you're jealous. Then there is also a way to deal with the feeling.

Spyder Garage

Thrifty shoppers don't experience jealousy.
    Can Am 2013 RTL SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I buy below what I can afford. Like, I bought a Ryker rather than an F3, I bought a Yamaha XRS rather than a Ducati, and just recently, I purchased a Honda rather than a Lexus. Even the Cadillac I owned I bought second hand. I live in a fairly small condo rather than a townhouse. I have never been on a fancy vacation. So my savings and investments reflect my restraint. All is good. Or is it?

I think we all fall pray to Consumerism.
    I disagree.

We don't all fall prey to consumerism, although many do. Madison Avenue banks on it.

Farkling is consumerism in action. What's the problem with that?

Others with different values would scoff at our expenditures for Spydering.

Best not to judge others, I think.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

We will soon be downsizing. We retire in just over 3 years. The existing house will be sold and a much smaller one will be bought for our retirement. The car and my wife's F3L will be paid off by then. Nothing wrong with living under your means. A heck of a lot better than the other way. I see too many people like that.
    Reminds me of a lady I saw at the grocery store a couple of years ago. She had $200 in food and she kept getting the cashier to try a different credit card to have the charge go through. Fifth one was the charm. She drove off in a Lexus SUV.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would say I (we...the family) live under our means but that doesn't stop us from buying or doing "stuff" we want. If we can afford it then its fair game. We work too hard not to live the way we want and in the end you can't take it with you so might as well spend and enjoy while you're here. Everybody is different, as long as what you do doesn't effect me then to each their own.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I see people around me who have all kinds of cool stuff. Yes, I have stuff, but I buy below what I can afford. Like, I bought a Ryker rather than an F3, I bought a Yamaha XRS rather than a Ducati, and just recently, I purchased a Honda rather than a Lexus. Even the Cadillac I owned I bought second hand. I live in a fairly small condo rather than a townhouse. I have never been on a fancy vacation.

So my savings and investments reflect my restraint. All is good. Or is it? I can't help but be jealous of these people. I know my pay is on par with many of them. But they live in big houses and drive new BMW's. I wonder if they just get a big inheritance. I have no inheritance per say. Both my parents where greedy sociopaths that only left debt in their wake. I do really like my new car. I am fortunate I can get a good car. But when I compare it to my wok parking lot full of Porsche, MB, Lexus and BMW, I feel jealous. I have the money for such a car, but I'm in this world alone. I need a good sized backup because I have no safety net.

with your financial philosophy …. concerning what others have - do they actually own these things or ( in my mind ) do the people who LENT them the money really own them ???? …. from what I have heard / read the majority of people in this country are really in serious Debt. All my life I have maintained a zero balance Due on all my credit cards. I use them almost exclusively as opposed to cash as do most people. But I know what my monthly income is ( I'm retired ) and spend accordingly. I now have to withdraw money ( RMD ) on a yearly basis because of the investment rules per the IRS. … and because of Taxes I decided that giving my children ( my heirs ) some of their inheritance ( $$$$$.00 ) on a yearly basis is going to save a lot in taxes ( at least for them ) … I have explained the financial facts of retirement to them and luckily they are investing it now for their future … good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

I completely know where you're coming from. I read an article a couple years ago titled "stop counting other people's money" that made me smile. If I can find the link to it I'll share it. Basically it said you see only what other people want you to see, not what's behind it. Sure, your neighbor might pull into his driveway with a new BMW, but maybe there's a huge monthly payment they'll have for years to come. Or they're swimming in debt so much from everything that they won't be able to retire until much later in life.

The message I got from it (and remind my wife often) is keep the focus on you, and your goals to make you happy. Sure, it might make you feel better to park your brand new car next to their brand new car, but does that truly make you happy? For me it doesn't. I just keep reminding myself I have a goal to retire early, and I keep working at that goal. Once I achieve that ( someone called it delayed gratification), then I can have the "last laugh", so to speak.
    2016 RTL "Boris"

Foam Grips
    Utopia Backrest
    BRP Passenger armrests
    Bajaron sway bar
    LED Bumpskid w/remote
    Belt guard
    BRT rear lighting w/strobe
    High mount BRT w/strobe
    Dual a-arm LEDs w/turn signals
    Multicolor underground Halo lighting
    LED headlights and foglights
    FOBO TPMS
    Techgripper phone holder
    Lidlox
    Dual USB with voltmeter
    Dakota Digital Compass/Clock/Altimeter/Temperature Gauge
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 175/55R15 - Fronts
    General Altimax RT43 215/60R15 - Rear

Spyder Garage

All those who have a job (pension), are decently paid, are healthy, maintain stable friendships and live in peace have, in my opinion, more than most people in this world. I enjoy my life, not the things I own. Things can only enrich life if I am satisfied with myself.