Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Skups View Post
    You can't change the oil too much.
    I'm with you on that centiment. I guess too often could be considered wasteful but as soon as oil is used it begins to degrade so it's really up to the user how much degradation they're willing to allow between changes.

For me for a new engine, any engine, it's before 300 miles for first change, 1200 miles for the next change then every 4000 after that. Occasionally, there's an exception as now, because we've been away riding all day every day for almost 5 weeks the Spyders' oil is getting pretty dark and burned now but we'll be home within the next 500 miles so I'll leave it until then. Just convenience really.
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Spyder Garage

I’ll stick with the 3000 miles as recommended by BRP. It’s pretty clear in the owners manual. I bet they know their equipment better then most and I’m good with that. If BRP thought it was best to change the oil at 600 miles that’s what they would recommend but they do not. Just my opinion.

Spyder Garage

I just called my dealer to check what they recommend and they said 3,000 miles is fine. But they would be happy to make an appointment to get my oil changed if I wanted too... I’m at 600 miles. Cost is $207 and an hour and a half of my time, not including the hour ride to and from the dealership each way...

Spyder Garage

I changed my own oil and filter at 3,000 miles just as the owner's manual and the Spyder Shop manual recommended. 2019 1330 F3-S........ I found no shavings nor any unusual amount of metal and the oil that came out looked good. I did not put the OEM oil back in. I do buy oil that is as good or better than what is recommended for use by the manuals. I am also not sticking to the schedule for oil changes that are in the manuals. The manuals recommend every 9,300 miles and I am changing mine every 5,000 miles. It has nothing to do with economic reasons or heavy use in bad conditions. I have always changed the oil every 5,000 miles on my bikes and will continue to do it. It does not matter if you use the OEM oil, as long as the oil is as good or better, by specifications. It does not matter if you change the oil at the recommended times or not, as long as the oil changes are more frequent than what is recommended. It costs me around $80 each time, just for the oil and the filter. There might be additional costs depending on what other service the manual calls for at that amount of miles. I keep all the information, date, miles, what supplies are used and the specs on them in a log on my computer.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rbflapjack View Post
    Along that line, what is the typical price range for the oil change service and the 3,000 mile service that people have seen?
    $350 is what I have experienced.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I just bought a 2019 F3L and got the 600 mile service recommendation as well. I made the first service free as part of the deal. Also, they will pick up and deliver the vehicle.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wmjkweber02 View Post
    I just bought a 2019 F3L and got the 600 mile service recommendation as well. I made the first service free as part of the deal. Also, they will pick up and deliver the vehicle.
    You did all right with the FREE part. The manual states 3000 for first service and then 9,500 intervals. Then, once a year or 9,500. The 600 mile first service is a carry over from the 998 2 cylinder engines.

From the manual page 119:

FIRST INSPECTION
    We recommend that after the first 5 000km (3,000 mi) of operation, your vehicle
    be inspected by an authorized Can-Am On-Road dealer, repair shop, or person of
    your own choosing. The first maintenance is very important and must not be neglected.
    NOTE: The first inspection is at the expense of the vehicle owner.
    We recommend that this inspection be signed by the authorized Can-AmOn-Road
    dealer, repair shop, or person of your own choosing having performed the first inspection

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I'm in the camp of an early first change. New engines will shed a considerable amount of wear metals during the first couple hundred miles. And yes, the magnet will catch actual visible shavings, it's the metal PPM you can't see that builds up in the oil. The filter will catch anything above about 30 micron, but wear particulates in the 5 to 10 micron range are what do damage.
    I do 500, 2000, then 5000 miles. Does it help? Can't say, except that it's never let me down, I'm old school, and used oil analysis supports my method.
    And, I think BRP is nuts with their recommendations on oil and interval.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by carbonation View Post
    I'm in the camp of an early first change. New engines will shed a considerable amount of wear metals during the first couple hundred miles. And yes, the magnet will catch actual visible shavings, it's the metal PPM you can't see that builds up in the oil. The filter will catch anything above about 30 micron, but wear particulates in the 5 to 10 micron range are what do damage.
    I do 500, 2000, then 5000 miles. Does it help? Can't say, except that it's never let me down, I'm old school, and used oil analysis supports my method.
    Whatever floats your boat. Earlier than recommended will not harm the engine. I do feel though, that BRP in their mighty wisdom, is not going to recommend something that will be harmful to the engines. 9500 miles or once a year whichever comes first...means that a lot of Spyders are getting changed out at 5000 miles or less.

Now that we can ride 12 months a year, I may consider a more frequent oil change than 9500. Time will tell.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by carbonation View Post
    I know it's not directly comparable, but consider this. The recommended oil change interval for the 1990 Acura Legend I had was 15,000 miles! And that was before synthetic oils were an everyday shelf item!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I paid $250 for the 600 mile service and for the 3,000 mile service . total $500
    Now I have a new 2021 F3LTD . I might skip the 600 mile service unless they will do it free, as a good gesture to a good customer. LOL.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motogordo View Post
    I paid $250 for the 600 mile service and for the 3,000 mile service . total $500
    Now I have a new 2021 F3LTD . I might skip the 600 mile service unless they will do it free, as a good gesture to a good customer. LOL.
    The first service on your 2021 is 3000 miles, not 600.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chasinsparks View Post
    My experience with said dealer was not that positive. I have herd others that have had better luck.
    Same here, The sale was a good experience but was told the same thing about the 600 miles for service, I waited until the 3k. But if you do decide to do it make sure you have an appointment now as my appointment was almost 2 months out from when I called. If you drive like me I was past the 3K when it was finally time for my appointment.

This is also the place that told me that when I had to have an accident repair that my F3 was not a "regular appointment" meaning that my accident repair was slowing down summer sales setups and that they were fitting my accident repair in between "regular appointments".

It took over 3 months to get the repair completed and to top it off they lost my new BRP factory cover I had on it to protect it from the elements as they have no storage/cover to protect vehicles being worked on. I was returned a cover but it wasn't mine and a lot older and worn. I guess somebody got lucky and got their old cover replaced with a new one while it was in the shop for a "regular appointment".

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

I change the oil in my 2021 F3 every week...whether it needs it or not.

Spyder Garage

2019 thread

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BadMonk View Post
    I change the oil in my 2021 F3 every week...whether it needs it or not.
    It's usually only British bikes (& old Harleys ) that leak out that much oil!! . But at least you know with them that when they stop leaking you hafta add more oil cos they's completely dry!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Read any motorcycle or car forum...Oil threads never die. They just get recycled over and over again.

Spyder Garage

Oct. 18, 2021

I mentioned to my dealer to throw it in for free. You know the answer to that. Does the dealer get paid for all warranty work from BURP ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rbflapjack View Post
    Yes, it was that dealer. Overall I was very happy with the dealer but I haven't had to use them for service yet. Have you had negative experience with that dealer or just know about the 600 mile recommendation.

No idea this question would spark such good discussion. I think I will check with them to make sure it is just an oil change and get an estimate.
    RB - I am also familiar with them. Sales people were all but rude. I had what I would consider a very helpful conversation with a mech in the service shop, but when I then asked for a quote for the work we discussed, he did a 180, telling me there was no way that their shop would do the work. The full story on that is a different topic. The original dealer (Woodbridge) did tell me that the 600 mile oil change was recommended, but that they would discount it, and it was only an oil/filter change, but that they would also check a number of 'routine' items that typically might show an incorrect torque setting, or a bolt that simply was not fully tightened at final assembly,etc. If the original dealer weren't a 3 hour drive, and if I didn't have to leave it there for 4 days, I'd probably go. I've had similar conversations with 5 other dealers (including MM) and have been less than confident that they could perform work from an experienced point of view.
    2021 F3 L , Stock Plugs (COILS, NOT WIRES!) Stock Brake Pedal Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Do you happen to know what the part numbers might be for the drain plug sealing washers and O-rings ?
    Since BRP says to use XPS 4T 5W40 Synthetic blend oil, I'd go with that. But I'd like to see what the cost for a filter and those washers/O-Rings are. There are "oil change kits" sold online for $140USD, but the oil itself is like $60USD, so I can't believe a filter (even a K&N) and the O-rings and washers would cost another $80...
    2021 F3 L , Stock Plugs (COILS, NOT WIRES!) Stock Brake Pedal Magma Red