Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Default Laser Alignment

I had Netzley Tire do a laser alignment at the Maggie Valley, NC Spyder Rally. I didn't really expect to notice any difference since the Spyder was not pulling to one side, or showing any abnormal tire wear. I was pleasantly surprised. The main thing I noticed is easier steering. It seems like it has twice as much power steering as before. It takes much less effort to steer and tracks very straight and true. The Netzley guys always do good work.
    2018 Spyder RT Limited
    Asphalt Gray
    Can Am Passenger Armrests
    Can Am Comfort Seat
    Spyder Accessories Floating Footpegs
    Utopia Driver Backrest
    Bajaron Sway Bar
    Sena 20s Bluetooth
    Lidlocks Helmet Holders
    F4 Tall and Wide Tinted Windshield
    Fobo Tire Monitor
    Lamonster Spyderdock Cell Phone Holder
    Sheepskin Seat Cover
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    Magic Mirror
    Can Am Trailer Hitch
    Missing Belt Guard

Wish List - LED Headlights and Fog lights

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tenic View Post
    I had Netzley Tire do a laser alignment at the Maggie Valley, NC Spyder Rally. I didn't really expect to notice any difference since the Spyder was not pulling to one side, or showing any abnormal tire wear. I was pleasantly surprised. The main thing I noticed is easier steering. It seems like it has twice as much power steering as before. It takes much less effort to steer and tracks very straight and true. The Netzley guys always do good work.
    Mr. Tenic,
    This is a good write up. For all the folks who say I don't need it because mine is good enough, you can't knock it until you've tried it! A good alignment is a great thing. As is the Baja Ron sway bar and upgrade tires.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

My rides going to need new front tires next year, and I want to get it lined up!!! I guess I'll have to run it to New Hampshire to get it done, I don't know of any one in Maine that dose it!!! Can not wait for next year all ready!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

There are a number of things that people don't think they need on the Spyder. But once they get it done they are surprised at the improvement. Laser alignment is in this category. Money well spent.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I agree with all the above. I had Netzley install new tires and alignment and sway bar. They did a great job, and the Spyder does turn more easily, and tracks true, and is more stable. These guys are great to work with. Money well spent.
    Happy owner of 2014 White RTS - SE6

Spyder Garage

i wish someone had advertised that they would be in maggie doing alignments, mine needs one but i couldn't find out anywhere if someone was going to be there at maggie doing them. its a 7 hour round trip and i thought about going but couldn't find any real info about venders and services and the rs ain't no touring bike so i didn't go.
    2015 rs

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    There are a number of things that people don't think they need on the Spyder. But once they get it done they are surprised at the improvement. Laser alignment is in this category. Money well spent.
    Ron,

What puzzles me is that BRP didn't do this alignment from the factory. My bike is one year old and it didn't handle this good when it was new. I was at Maggie Valley last year and I didn't get the alignment done because I thought it would be a waste of money on a brand new bike. I just dont understand this. Any ideas?
    2018 Spyder RT Limited
    Asphalt Gray
    Can Am Passenger Armrests
    Can Am Comfort Seat
    Spyder Accessories Floating Footpegs
    Utopia Driver Backrest
    Bajaron Sway Bar
    Sena 20s Bluetooth
    Lidlocks Helmet Holders
    F4 Tall and Wide Tinted Windshield
    Fobo Tire Monitor
    Lamonster Spyderdock Cell Phone Holder
    Sheepskin Seat Cover
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    Magic Mirror
    Can Am Trailer Hitch
    Missing Belt Guard

Wish List - LED Headlights and Fog lights

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bayoubill View Post
    i wish someone had advertised that they would be in maggie doing alignments, mine needs one but i couldn't find out anywhere if someone was going to be there at maggie doing them. its a 7 hour round trip and i thought about going but couldn't find any real info about venders and services and the rs ain't no touring bike so i didn't go.
    Maybe not a touring bike. But I've been to California twice (over 2,500 miles 1 way), Canada twice, Kansas City twice, Sturgis, Florida... Touring is a state of mind, not a machine! (though I will admit that some vehicles are better suited than others)

Ron,

What puzzles me is that BRP didn't do this alignment from the factory. My bike is one year old and it didn't handle this good when it was new. I was at Maggie Valley last year and I didn't get the alignment done because I thought it would be a waste of money on a brand new bike. I just dont understand this. Any ideas?
    BRP does align the Spyder at the factory. Just like they balance the tires, etc. They just don't do a very good job of it. Though it isn't for a lack of trying, according to those who know. But it is what it is. You shouldn't have to get your brand new Spyder laser aligned. But you do if you want it right.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Ron,

Mr. Tenic,
    Not Ron, but just got mine done at SpyderPops, along with a heap of useful information. Here goes, to the best of my rememberance! Spyders have a specification for the toe in of 0.0° with a tolerance of ą0.2°. If the toe in is set to zero degrees static, then the front wheels can/will point out during cornering and at speed. This toe out condition makes the wander, and sometimes dart depending on road condition. To make matters worse, your dealer can send the bike out the door with a toe out condition of 0.2°, wandering like crazy, and still call it "In Spec".

The ROLO laser alignment calls for additional toe in, which stabilizes the bike and makes it track straighter over the road imperfections. Factory uses degrees across the rim, the ROLO system uses inches at (I believe) 72" from the rime center. I don't have the math to make the conversion, but my bike wandered into SpyderPops with 3/8" of ROLO measurement, and rode out like it was on rails with about 1" of toe in, and increase of 5/8" at 72". Not that much in degrees I think, but makes it track great.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals

Spyder Garage

what does it cost laser alignment
    2019 f3t , titanium

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pieman9155 View Post
    I seem to remember in the $120-$150 range.
    h0gr1der

Spyder Garage

The two biggest gripes I read about on this forum are front end alignment and quality tires. These two issues have the greatest effect on a Spyder's handling, yet the manufacturer seems content with a "lick and a promise" mentality. BRP seems to have adopted BMW's attitude towards listening to its rider community.

Spyder Garage

I think two spring time additions just may be a Bajaron sway bar kit and laser alignment. I see that a "semi" local dealer (Rob's Performance) is a laser alignment dealer. Hmmm......

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    Spyders have a specification for the toe in of 0.0° with a tolerance of ą0.2°. If the toe in is set to zero degrees static, then the front wheels can/will point out during cornering and at speed. This toe out condition makes the wander, and sometimes dart depending on road condition. To make matters worse, your dealer can send the bike out the door with a toe out condition of 0.2°, wandering like crazy, and still call it "In Spec".

The ROLO laser alignment calls for additional toe in, which stabilizes the bike and makes it track straighter over the road imperfections. Factory uses degrees across the rim, the ROLO system uses inches at (I believe) 72" from the rime center. I don't have the math to make the conversion, but my bike wandered into SpyderPops with 3/8" of ROLO measurement, and rode out like it was on rails with about 1" of toe in, and increase of 5/8" at 72". Not that much in degrees I think, but makes it track great.
    Mere possession of the ROLO equipment does not translate to competent results. My local dealer recently added ROLO alignment to its shop, so when my Spyder's front started wandering again, I let them try to fix it. They claimed my front end was "within spec," patted me on the head, and took my money. No change in handling, i.e., still a bit squirrelly. Needless to say, I wasn't thrilled and asked them to try again. Same result.

Oh, and one more interesting nugget: my service manager called BRP to see if they had any insight as to what my problem might be (as the alignment didn't seem to work), BRP stated, upon learning I had non-OEM tires on front, "tell him he's on his own." The service manager admitted he had never heard anything like that before.

Loyalty is a two-way street.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Maybe not a touring bike. But I've been to California twice (over 2,500 miles 1 way), Canada twice, Kansas City twice, Sturgis, Florida... Touring is a state of mind, not a machine! (though I will admit that some vehicles are better suited than others)

BRP does align the Spyder at the factory. Just like they balance the tires, etc. They just don't do a very good job of it. Though it isn't for a lack of trying, according to those who know. But it is what it is. You shouldn't have to get your brand new Spyder laser aligned. But you do if you want it right.
    its not a state of mind with me, its a state of 64 years of life, a worn out body from warehouse and maintenance work, and bad hip, even 10 years ago i could have ridden that rs all over the country.
    2015 rs

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post
    Mere possession of the ROLO equipment does not translate to competent results. My local dealer recently added ROLO alignment to its shop, so when my Spyder's front started wandering again, I let them try to fix it. They claimed my front end was "within spec," patted me on the head, and took my money. No change in handling, i.e., still a bit squirrelly. Needless to say, I wasn't thrilled and asked them to try again. Same result.

Oh, and one more interesting nugget: my service manager called BRP to see if they had any insight as to what my problem might be (as the alignment didn't seem to work), BRP stated, upon learning I had non-OEM tires on front, "tell him he's on his own." The service manager admitted he had never heard anything like that before.

Loyalty is a two-way street.

In my estimation, a lot of dealerships are "Stuck on Stupid" as far as technical specifications go. I can't recommend any alignment shop that doesn't have multiple satisfied mentions on the forum. Not to say that they aren't OK, but also who's to say they don't use the ROLO system to set the toe in to 0.0° and call it "In Spec". So you lose money and wander your way down the road, wondering what the hell just happened?

I took my Spyder in for the 3000 mile, gave them specific instruction to either not touch the rear belt or at very minimum set it to the 2015 TSB minimum specification. Rode the bike home, vibrating badly, found the belt at ą 210 Lb tension. They said 1050 was the minimum spec. Stuck on stupid I tell you! I pointed out the true minimum spec and they acted shocked to learn of such.
    h0gr1der

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post

In my estimation, a lot of dealerships are "Stuck on Stupid" as far as technical specifications go. I can't recommend any alignment shop that doesn't have multiple satisfied mentions on the forum. Not to say that they aren't OK, but also who's to say they don't use the ROLO system to set the toe in to 0.0° and call it "In Spec". So you lose money and wander your way down the road, wondering what the hell just happened?

I took my Spyder in for the 3000 mile, gave them specific instruction to either not touch the rear belt or at very minimum set it to the 2015 TSB minimum specification. Rode the bike home, vibrating badly, found the belt at ą 210 Lb tension. They said 1050 was the minimum spec. Stuck on stupid I tell you! I pointed out the true minimum spec and they acted shocked to learn of such.
    It is not just Can Am folks! Most servicing entities are not very good or just plain dishonest. After 13 years in the auto dealer service business 21 years ago, I had to get out. I could tell stories for hours, I considered writing a book at one time. I know now, 21 years later it is worse. I have so many projects I cannot keep up, as there is nobody to do quality work. If you can get someone they are booked and usually 75 years old with nobody below them to learn the trade. Its the world we live in and I don't like it!

I am hoping I can get hooked up somewhere with the folks from Squared next year, after I get the new shocks and install some new tires. I just purchased my 2013 with 1750 miles a month or so ago and think I should add some new shoes. I do the same with my Harleys, about every 7 years replace the tires as I don't ride too much anymore. Maybe time to thin out the herd? Already thinning out the race stuff, God spoke and said slow down buddy or we will get together soon!

Spyder Garage

its not a state of mind with me, its a state of 64 years of life, a worn out body from warehouse and maintenance work, and bad hip, even 10 years ago i could have ridden that rs all over the country.
    I hear ya! I am right there with you, we are too young for this. We need some more riding years. I am only 60, 2 more stents last October, stroke in December, now they want to replace both knees and crushed lower vertebrae is pending. Sometimes I only ride a couple miles down to the lake or to the next town to the café. But next year I am going to go for a ride to one to the events if it kills me! Hang in there sir!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sputter View Post
    I hear ya! I am right there with you, we are too young for this. We need some more riding years. I am only 60, 2 more stents last October, stroke in December, now they want to replace both knees and crushed lower vertebrae is pending. Sometimes I only ride a couple miles down to the lake or to the next town to the café. But next year I am going to go for a ride to one to the events if it kills me! Hang in there sir!
    i feel your pain, my left hip hurts so bad anymore i can't hardly even get on my road king, thats why the spyder to begin with, but about 2 hours on it is all i can handle because of the seating position the hip just hurts worse and worse, healthy people don't understand, i wouldn't have understood 10 years ago.
    2015 rs

Spyder Garage

i feel your pain, my left hip hurts so bad anymore i can't hardly even get on my road king, thats why the spyder to begin with, but about 2 hours on it is all i can handle because of the seating position the hip just hurts worse and worse, healthy people don't understand, i wouldn't have understood 10 years ago.
    Yup! My friend gets a hip replacement December at The VA. By the way nice Spyder!

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Squared Away will be in Deadwood next year. Looking forward to getting you properly aligned. We are in Texas, will be here until Sunday. Ride on down! The next week, Florida. You can always come to Las Vegas! Will be home by Veterans Day!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Squared Away will be in Deadwood next year. Looking forward to getting you properly aligned. We are in Texas, will be here until Sunday. Ride on down! The next week, Florida. You can always come to Las Vegas! Will be home by Veterans Day!
    Awesome!
    I will make it for sure, though I am sure it will be after May as we are supposed to have another bad winter. We still have most of the water left from last winter. Texas too far for my broken down body
    Will be going through Vegas the end of the month for the last time I hope. Finally empty out my storage in Havasu Will see ya in Deadwood!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pieman9155 View Post
    Just got a quote from the local dealer who does laser alignments in my area. Labor to install:
    1.) Bajaron sway bar = $120
    2.) Laser alignment = $258

I was hoping the alignment would be closer to the $200 mark. We shall see ....

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Just got a quote from the local dealer who does laser alignments in my area. Labor to install:
    1.) Bajaron sway bar = $120
    2.) Laser alignment = $258

I was hoping the alignment would be closer to the $200 mark. We shall see ....
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________________________
    Troop,
    Those are high prices. I just had the lazier alignment done for $100. Some places do it for $120.00. After checking the alignment and it doesn't need it there is no charge. But most do need it.

The sway bar cost $288 and add that to $120 install makes it $400. I just had an install for $338. Only took about 30 minutes or less to install.
    Happy owner of 2014 White RTS - SE6