Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Oil Change Mess....Cured?

I've read that changing the motor oil can create a mess on top of motor skid pan. The manual states to take out the large 17mm bolt first. I wonder that if the small bolt is taken out first the "weight " of the oil would make it like a high pressure nozzle & squirt all over the place. Maybe, just maybe, that is what is happening. So, not to chance it I simply made a straight tube funnel out of a soft piece of plastic, one tie strap, and electrical tape. It fits up in the pan hole slightly slug, but has clearance around the socket to let oil dump straight out hopefully at least 99% down below the pan. I know the socket and wrench will get oily, but they'll be easy to clean. I'll try this out when Winter prep is being done. I just thought, if it would be possible to glue some foam rubber on top edge of the tube to make it seal better. Probably not needed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

The oil from the 17mm which should be taken off First shouts to the right at quite an angle BUT when I cut a decent hole in the plastic All around the holes its very easy and each subsequent oil change is just as easy?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

We remove the belly pans. Then, take a gallon milk jug, cut the bottom off 4 inches up. The top becomes a funnel, the bottom a funnel holder. Works great!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I put a toilet paper roll (cut in half) in the hole in my skidplate yesterday when I did the first oil change and it worked perfectly at directing the oil down to the oil catch pan.No mess left behind in the skid plate.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pantera View Post
    I put a toilet paper roll (cut in half) in the hole in my skidplate yesterday when I did the first oil change and it worked perfectly at directing the oil down to the oil catch pan.No mess left behind in the skid plate.
    Great idea! The tube is discarded and does not need to be cleaned.
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Skid plates have been off since my first oil change ( 1 year ago). Much easier to get to everything, and no problems so far.

Spyder Garage

It will help to get more air moving also!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl