SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default What are your winter bike projects ?

I have most everything you need to trick out your ride for spring....
    Spring is right around the corner, yea it's a long corner but it on the way.

Plenty of time to add that new TackForm Logo.jpeg
    Phone mount, maybe install a seat heater and Gel into your seat
    conformax.jpgSeat Heaters.jpeg
    AND no body has better prices on BIG BIKE PARTS and RIVCO ACCESSORIES
    Call me today 209-887-3283
    9:00AM to 8:00PM 7 days a week I am in California Pacific time zone

Spyder Garage

Default Ryde,ryde,ryde....

About the only good thing about this place....apologies to all the weather challenged ryders...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

We plan to ride as this winter we will be in Arizona!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

We moved to Las Vegas to ride all year! Winter projects are purging junk, and detailing bikes. And selling a few off...
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Winter projects - hmmmmmm - ride all year round.
    2009 GS SE5 , Red (Ferrari Red :) )

Spyder Garage

Bike projects, ideally finish the 1971 Rickman Yamaha RT360. Hopefully the Spyder stuff will be done within 2 weeks before the event.

Spyder Garage

Winter isn’t close????? It was spitting snow last night! It’s already here with the rain and cold temps at night. I’m not worried, it is suppose to be a high of 50 today and sun WAHOO so I guess I have another 4 weeks. As long as the roads are clear of snow and dry I’ll ride. Come late December and mid January I’ll install my new snazzy HEATED SEATS! Then I can test them on those sunny 32 degree days when the roads are bare with 2 feet of snow on the berms and the trails are completely ice for the sleds. Thanks Dave!

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

BURRRRRR..... it's a cool 80 here today guess I better put on a t-shirt

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    Winter isn’t close????? It was spitting snow last night! It’s already here with the rain and cold temps at night. I’m not worried, it is suppose to be a high of 50 today and sun WAHOO so I guess I have another 4 weeks. As long as the roads are clear of snow and dry I’ll ride. Come late December and mid January I’ll install my new snazzy HEATED SEATS! Then I can test them on those sunny 32 degree days when the roads are bare with 2 feet of snow on the berms and the trails are completely ice for the sleds. Thanks Dave!

Winter is not here yet in Vermont, but it will be before I know it.

Spyder is in hibernation, until April.

We had temps in the mornings in the low 30's, and this week snow in the higher elevations , and we'll get rain on Wednesday & Thursday during the day. But come December and thru March( Dec. 15th opening of the VAST trails) me and My significant other will be on the sleds( me on my new sled).

Thanks Dave!

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

The Pacific Northwest Rain Festival is about to begin and my plans are to install a Bajaron swaybar and a bump skid. Re the bump skid, I'm on the horns of a dilemma and maybe someone here can help me out of it. The are two skids offered; One from Spyderpops, which is made of 3/8" HPDE plastic (others sell it too) and the other from Custom Spyder Works, which thicker at 1/2" and made of cell cast acrylic.
    I'm leaning toward Custom's because it's thicker, but is it stronger? Getting one w/o lights - just plain.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    I'm leaning toward Custom's because it's thicker, but is it stronger?.......
    Maybe our roads here in Aus aren't a silky smooth as yours, but is this really a good idea? For my 2 bob's worth, adding anything that lowers the ground clearance of these things is an issue; so is adding anything that 'sticks out' or projects at all from underneath the tupperware on the trike, reducing its approach angle & making it more likely to hit the road surface/keb/whatever; & doing anything that both reduces the ground clearance AND reduces the trike's approach angle is just asking for trouble & really isn't a great move at all!

I've replaced the placcy skid plate under my RT with a (thin) alloy plate that doesn't project at all beyond the tupperware.... did that after I saw a Spyder written off due to a bent frame caused by running one of those projecting bump skid jobbies into a bump on the road!! My 'thin' skid plate protects the underside of the trike without reducing its approach angle & slides right over those bumps & rocks, road-kill, etc!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-15-2019 at 09:13 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for that input Peter. That happens to be a concern I have about bump skids. My bike is too low as it is for the crappy streets here in Portland. What I really want is some protection for the lower front plastic "bumper" thing that I tapped a wheel stop with. Show Chrome has one for RTs, but not F3s and it's shiny, I prefer black to blend in with the piece it will be mounted on.
    It's looking like I'm going to have one fabricated at a metal shop. If successful, this might turn into a cottage industry.
    Peter, can you give me any details about you alloy plate? Thickness? Photos? This intrigues me.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

I got it from the Aussie fella here on the Forum who goes by the username of noboot (but you could call him Ron. ) Drop him a pm and he should be able to help. Not sure what the freight costs from Aus would be... probably not a heap tho, it's fairly light!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-15-2019 at 10:52 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    We moved to Las Vegas to ride all year! Winter projects are purging junk, and detailing bikes. And selling a few off...
    Ooops there goes the Harley!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I got it from the Aussie fella here on the Forum who goes by the username of noboot (but you could call him Ron. ) Drop him a pm and he should be able to help. Not sure what the freight costs from Aus would be... probably not a heap tho, it's fairly light!
    No freight needed if the F3's plate is as simple as the one in Ron's photo, I can use mine as a template and make my own alloy one.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Let’s see........California Winter........my plan is to ryde, ryde, ryde!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    No freight needed if the F3's plate is as simple as the one in Ron's photo, I can use mine as a template and make my own alloy one.
    ^^ Quite possibly, altho I think you'll find it is just a little more complex than simply cutting out the required shape; there are some oddly angled holes needed & you'll probably need a bit of a bend put in it too, especially the front kick-up to stop the front edge from acting like a cheese slicer or concrete grader blade if you do touch down on anything (& despite having fitted slightly larger dia tires & raising the suspension to it's max safe usable height, I still do touch down every now & then! )

I did consider doing my own, but ultimately, it worked out to be easier & cheaper for me to get Ron's skid plate than it would've been for me to source the necessary material & make my own, even tho I do have all the necessary gear on hand to do so.... still, if you've got a use for the rest of the alloy sheet or access to smallish off-cuts, that might be different for you.... And as mentioned, o/seas freight might also alter that calculation for you too.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-16-2019 at 03:31 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!