Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Damaged rear fender

During a 2-up ride with my girlfriend, we went over huge bump on the road, rear suspension bottomed fully down and the max mount/rear passenger seat probably went to collision with the rear fender causing damage.

Has anyone experienced this?

I have 900 Standard, rear spring preload set to 5 and we weight no more than 330lbs/150kg...

00EA6C2D-A2E8-49E9-AC2F-9D28C8FD3823.jpg

Spyder Garage

Ouch! I have a Rally and my daughter and family spent a day riding two up on it with no problem. My son-in-law weighs well over 200lbs and my daughter and grandkids each weigh over a hundred. No problems.

Spyder Garage

We had the same Problem .. use the FOX shock on the back and adjusted it to the strongest Position ..
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer.....

There is a lot of recommendatiions to going with a stronger shock on the rear if ryding double. Did not know it could be this bad but as suggested above go with the Fox or the stronger BRP shock if you will be ryding double....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

At the end of the day, I would say, God bless you guys that want to make a two up machine out of a one up chaise! And after riding one I can see why you want to, but where the rubber hits the road is the weight limit of the bike! That backend is built to it, and designed for that weight to be for the most part it the saddle up front, not hang out over the end of the bike! With out beefing up the structure, and getting that weight on the right side of the wheel so your not riding a wheelie down the rode at every roll of the gas, good luck! For me if I loved the ride and style of the Ryker and my wife liked it also, for the price of two base models you could be smarter and cheaper to get two, be safe, and know it will not fall apart on you! Or buy a F3 and not have to worry or bust your balls redesigning a bike for another company! Good luck guys it will be interesting to see what you guys come up with! P.S It is human nature not to be satisfied with what you have and try to make it better!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

It is design for two up riding I don't know where you get your information from, otherwise CAN AM will never sell passenger seat for it. Can Am wants keep the cost down on the Ryker so they didn't sell any of the Ryker with passenger seat instead they gave you option to buy the passenger kit along with beefed up shocks. Like everything else there is always weight limit. Stock shocks are design for 180 lbs rider. Every motorcycle company design their bikes for 180 lbs rider. Can Am is no different and average American rider is over 200 lbs. Ryker's weight limit is almost same as the F3.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Switchback12 View Post
    It is design for two up riding I don't know where you get your information from, otherwise CAN AM will never sell passenger seat for it. Can Am wants keep the cost down on the Ryker so they didn't sell any of the Ryker with passenger seat instead they gave you option to buy the passenger kit along with beefed up shocks. Like everything else there is always weight limit. Stock shocks are design for 180 lbs rider. Every motorcycle company design their bikes for 180 lbs rider. Can Am is no different and average American rider is over 200 lbs. Ryker's weight limit is almost same as the F3.
    Just stand back and look at the Ryker and a f3, or rt and tell me if you think, really think that that bike should have two people on it!!! JUST MY 2 cents! Throw a couple young kids on there ok, put a couple adults on there not so much!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

the Rykers holds more load than a Spyder F3 !!!! .. read the manuals - a lot of F3 Ryders have more problems 2up than the rykers with the FOY Shocks !!!

we did now 10.000 miles with the Ryker 900 (had an RT before..) and love the much better handling and the "new" sporty design of it ....
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Looks can be deceiving. I look like only weight 170 lbs but really on the scale is just over 200 lbs. All depends how you carry the weight. Ryker and F3 weight ratio is not that much different. Just look up the weight ratio Ryker vs F3 you will have your answer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Just stand back and look at the Ryker and a f3, or rt and tell me if you think, really think that that bike should have two people on it!!! JUST MY 2 cents! Throw a couple young kids on there ok, put a couple adults on there not so much!!!
    I just googled it for you Spyder F3 can hold total of 439 lbs this will include rider, passenger, gear(jackets, pants, helmets anything you and the passenger wearing) and luggage. Ryker will hold 459 lbs this will includes rider passenger you get the point. Bottom line here you can't judge the book by its cover.

Spyder Garage

We will continue this topic when more of you get on here and have pictures like the top of this post had!! I can make a sr5 Toyota pick up haul a ton of cargo but how long and where do you put it!! Every one has there own thoughts that's what make us what we are!! Have a good day gents!! Ride had and smile lots!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

the super leight-weight Ryker is really much "faster" than our old spyders - it is more like a Enduro-motorcicle- best 2up touring "Spyder" for the Alps and Italy !!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about the damage. To add to comments about the Spyder vs Ryker 2 up compatibility - the comment re the Ryker uprated shocks sold with the extra seat seams reasonable. The F3 Spyder comes WITH the extra seat as standard but I question the standard shock is adequate. This seems to be acknowledged by BRP because they offer to sell you a "2 up" uprated shock. I have an F3 and ride 2 up quite often, fearing the possibility of the OP occurring, we fitted a gas adjustable aftermarket shock after only a few hundred miles. I can confirm it is a major improvement without loss of ride comfort.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMA88 View Post
    During a 2-up ride with my girlfriend, we went over huge bump on the road, rear suspension bottomed fully down and the max mount/rear passenger seat probably went to collision with the rear fender causing damage.

Has anyone experienced this?

I have 900 Standard, rear spring preload set to 5 and we weight no more than 330lbs/150kg...

00EA6C2D-A2E8-49E9-AC2F-9D28C8FD3823.jpg
    Do you have the 2-up spring on your Ryker?
    When I bought my Rally the dealer asked me if I would be riding 2 up frequently. When I said yes he suggested I should have the 2-up spring installed.

Spyder Garage

No, I do not. But I am having it installed today. I am curious how it is gonna behave on solo and 2-up rides. Hope it is not gonna be so hard on one up rides.

Spyder Garage

No, I do not. But I am having it installed today. I am curious how it is gonna behave on solo and 2-up rides. Hope it is not gonna be so hard on one up rides.
    Some times they will build a shock with a double spring, one will be soft the other will act like a overload!! It will be interesting to see!!! Keep us informed!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I take my Ryker to work occasionally and haven't had any issues. I actually enjoy a stiffer ride so maybe that's just my preference. I dont know the actual design behind the 2 up spring but it may just be a progressive design where in it allows softness for the first inch or so of compression but then gets progressively stiffer when compressed more.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Markubis View Post
    Do you have the 2-up spring on your Ryker?
    When I bought my Rally the dealer asked me if I would be riding 2 up frequently. When I said yes he suggested I should have the 2-up spring installed.
    My dealer said the 2 up spring is incompatible with the Rally suspension.

Spyder Garage

if I remember correctly, the rally spring has a setting they recommend for 2-up riding however I don't see it mentioned in the manual. I know the FOX springs came with recommended setting based on operators and passengers weight.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bosky View Post
    if I remember correctly, the rally spring has a setting they recommend for 2-up riding however I don't see it mentioned in the manual. I know the FOX springs came with recommended setting based on operators and passengers weight.
    I’m pretty sure its in the operators manual. I think 2 up riding is position 4 on damping and 5/8” on the compression of the rear shock, working from memory, don’t hold me to those numbers.

Spyder Garage

Also had that happen. Installed the M2 Shocks. Problem solved.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KID Ryker View Post
    Also had that happen. Installed the M2 Shocks. Problem solved.
    Thank you. .the words of wisdom...the shocks is where BRP cut corners regardless if it's a Spyder or Ryker..you put some M2 or Elka shocks on the front and rear..and then ride two up...no problems... the fox shock springs are too weak for two up riding...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    We will continue this topic when more of you get on here and have pictures like the top of this post had!! I can make a sr5 Toyota pick up haul a ton of cargo but how long and where do you put it!! Every one has there own thoughts that's what make us what we are!! Have a good day gents!! Ride had and smile lots!!!
    I had a Toyt Tacoma, that I removed the OEM bed from , and made a flatbed for it. Then I constructed a steel frame from 1" angle @ 1/8 thick.... then I covered that with 26ga. galvanized 4x8 sheets...… This was all done, so I could put my 2014 RT inside and go cross country ….. The OEM weight load was way less than what I had added, so I used Air Bags in conjunction with the leaf springs..... I have some pics in my Albums …… Mike

Spyder Garage

PMA88 hi yes it has happened to me , after fitting a box on back , and two up spring position 4 it all proves it's a solo bike regards nico75 ,

Spyder Garage

Look at the weight limit on some motorcycle tires. Some bikes have skinny front tires too. The weight limit on many motorcycles is an avg of 450lbs. Go to a bike rally and look at some of the "healthy" two ups riding around. Some of them come from other states. I am not saying that the Ryker is made for two up, but like someone else said, they make passenger seats. My daughter and her husband or their young adult children ride my Ryker all over the place, spending the whole day on it, with NO damage so far. I am not saying it won't happen, but I bet the only way it will happen is if they go over a speed bump too fast or something of similar nature. Who knows? I will eventually get around to installing new springs or shock combos, but it's cheaper to replace the damaged fender right now. I know because I replaced my rally fender with a full Ryker fender for less than a hundred bucks. Besides, it's plastic. You are going to get blemishes on plastic, so enjoy it instead of worrying about it.