Spyder Garage

Default HELP fuel filter replacement

Good Evening Everyone, Hope everyone is still out riding. It's chilly here in Chicagoland.

Well I did my 19.000 oil change and replaced the air filter okay. Now I just replaced the fuel filter and before I put her all back together I thought I would try to start her up to check for leaks. When I turned the key on it seemed normal but nothing happened when I hit the starter button. The lights were dim and flickering like a weak battery or bad ground or something else electrical. Nothing turns over or tries to at all. Could I have loosened a connection somewhere on the air filter side or the around the fuel Filter.
    Thanks, Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Not that I know of and I've changed my air and fuel filters multiple times. Check to ensure the battery terminals are tight.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

More likely just a bad battery. If yours is the original battery you got good life out of it. I had to replace my battery in our 2014 RT at 3 years. Most auto parts stores and all battery + stores have a load tester and can test your battery to find out if it's still good.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks, I got the bike 3 years ago and he said the battery was brand new. It may be due to replace the battery but I never had a battery go just like that. I've been riding it all summer. It sat for a few days while working on it ( oil change-air filter change and now the fuel filter). I had the gas tank to ground wire off for a while. It had a star washer on it and I could not find it when I hooked it up again. Thanks again, Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Battery Test

Did you get the battery tested? It's usually a pass or fail. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I have the Besy ?Green Manual and I cannot find a table of contents which would be helpful with over 1500 pages. Is anyone familiar with the manual? Thanks, Mike
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

FYI - I have a 2015 RTL and two weeks ago my Spyder went from starting fine one morning to deader-than-a-doornail by the afternoon. No warning, no nothing. Tested voltage and cranking load and it's gone. I don't know what your problem is, but batteries can fail without warning. I also suggest you check your battery connections as well.

Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Thanks, I will be doing that today. I have one of those pocket starters that I'm going to try but it is dead so I'm charging it. With the Spyder if I jump it and remove the jumper cables will it die or keep running. Thanks, Mike
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wmh9680 View Post
    Thanks, I will be doing that today. I have one of those pocket starters that I'm going to try but it is dead so I'm charging it. With the Spyder if I jump it and remove the jumper cables will it die or keep running. Thanks, Mike
    if jumped it should stay running and charging. How long it runs will determine how charged the Battery is for the next start. If jumping from a car make sure engine is off.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks, will do. Mike
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Pulled the batt and she shows 13+ volts but I’m taking it in to load test it. Having the mirrors disc wouldn’t do anything would it. I also have leds with an off/on switch and a direct line to the batt to charge my phone. Still wonder about a loose ground or connection somewhere. Had problems like that on my virago and an old plow truck. Thanks, Mike
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

You did say that you had the ground to tank wire off that had a star washer, but lost the star washer. Was the star washer over, or under the ground? Just thinking that the ground is not making a good ground connection. That is where I would start looking.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Thought I replied earlier but maybe not. I took the batt to the store and it had to be charged so they could load test it. It was fully charged a few hours earlier so I was guessing the problem was the batt. It was 3 years old. It came back dead so I will be looking for a new one. Any suggestions who/what to get. Maybe a forum sponsor. Thanks, Mike
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

I don't remember if the star washer was under or over at this point, all I know is I can not find it and have to go get one
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

I got a Duracell AGM at Batteries+Bulbs because they are conveniently located for me and I've never had a bad experience with one of their batteries. It was a perfect fit.
    The best,
    Rob

It came back dead so I will be looking for a new one. Any suggestions who/what to get.
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Battery

+ 2 for Duracell AGM ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Well I just picked up my new batt at batts&bulbs and she turned right over. Sure will miss searching for a short or bad connection, NOT. Thanks everyone. I guess I’m used to older bikes where that was the norm. Thanks again, Mike
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Well it never ends. I started her up b4 puttin the Tupperware back on to ck for leaks and all was fine but I noticed a cable wasn't routed right so I disc one side of the fuel line from the filter and when i hooked it back up I dn ck for leaks again and put the Tupperware back on and took her for a ride and I smelled gas so I had to remove the Tupperware again and found I needed to tighten one screw on the fuel line. I cn figue out how to attach the clamp on the filter so it is just hanging there (see pic). Anyone remember how both metal brackets go. Thanks Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

I'm pretty sure that on my '14 RT-S the bolt and nut that hold the clamp in your picture go through the hole in the frame that is immediately above the bolt head with the blue stripe on it in your picture. On mine the bolt is a Torx head that feeds from the inside outward and the nut is an acorn nut. I'm sorry, but I'm not pulling off all the Tupperware to confirm.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Thanks, I took pics before but I couldn't tell from them. I watched Doc Humphreys video but it is a little blurry. Great video though. Getting pretty good at removing the Tupperware. Problem is I only do it once a year and I forget.

How much uummpphh does the K&N air filter give you. It seemed a little stronger on my brief ride.
    Thanks again, Mike
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

The following are from my 2015 RT manual. See if this helps you.

Rob

Screen Shot 2019-10-17 at 9.34.29 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2019-10-17 at 9.35.09 PM.jpg

Well it never ends. I started her up b4 puttin the Tupperware back on to ck for leaks and all was fine but I noticed a cable wasn't routed right so I disc one side of the fuel line from the filter and when i hooked it back up I dn ck for leaks again and put the Tupperware back on and took her for a ride and I smelled gas so I had to remove the Tupperware again and found I needed to tighten one screw on the fuel line. I cn figue out how to attach the clamp on the filter so it is just hanging there (see pic). Anyone remember how both metal brackets go. Thanks Mike