Thread: Winter Ryker

Spyder Garage

Default Winter Ryker

I live in Chicago but I want to ride the Ryker year round.

Do you think the Ryker will hold up in the winter?
    I have 2,200 miles on my Ryker. If I decide to put her up for the winter should I change the oil first?

Spyder Garage

I would change it in the spring that way you will start the riding season with fresh oil.

Spyder Garage

NO! Don't ride in the salt. Manual says to change oil for storage. If you don't, you're going to be so anxious to get out and ride come spring that you won't get around to changing the oil as soon as you should. (that's most likely what would happen to me) I have 2600 miles on my rally. Probably be just over 3000 miles when it's changed, just in time for storage. BUT, if there is no snow, ice, or salt I plan on riding into the cold weather also. I have plenty of Winter bicycling clothes that will help out. Use "udder balm" on the face.....really.

Spyder Garage

Always change the oil for storage and then it's ready for spring

Spyder Garage

It's your call. The Ryker will probably be fine with the temperatures. The warning about salt could be an issue.

I do think it could be a safety issue. Chicago has a lot of traffic. I don't feel that I would be comfortable will all those bigger cars, trucks, SUV's whizzing around and out of control. I have never done winter driving in snow and ice. I know about me, but am not confident others have my well being in mind. Drive safe.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I seen somewhere, that if u drive it in the winter, in Canada, u have to put snow tires on it, that's the law

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ryker62 View Post
    I seen somewhere, that if u drive it in the winter, in Canada, u have to put snow tires on it, that's the law
    OP lives in Chicago so Canadian laws doesn't apply

Spyder Garage

Here in Wisconsin there are too many hazards to venture out for me. Besides snow, there is ice where you are not suspecting in shady places and also black ice at times that you don't pick up on until your in it. If we are invisible in good weather, how much more do we disappear when people are looking through winter-crudded windshields and don't expect our smaller silouhette to be out and about? Also, Wisconsin salts roads and while that is hard on cages... it would be much harder on machines like a Spyders or motorcycles that are not designed for winter riding. I know of a few people who ride all year (beater bikes with sidecars) ... they've been featured in news stories ... but I wouldn't be willing to take the risk to me or damage to my Spyder from the elements.

Spyder Garage

RE: Snow tires. When Spyders came out in 2008, I lived in Alaska. The dealer put studded tires on his Spyder all around. He drove it to work once and said not only no, but heck no.

Black ice is prevalent in AK. Any time there is a storm, the Glenn Hwy Corridor becomes a smash up gallery. We call them "ditch divers." All those four wheel drives in the ditch. The thing is...you can GO, but good luck STOPPING. I always felt that I was taking a big chance by playing hockey with big trucks and SUV's. First ice on the road and I parked it for the season.

The Owners Manuals used to say not recommended for use in snow. Have not read a manual since 2014....so I don't know about the current stuff or the Rykers.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Its not a snow and ice machine. I have typically ridden 2 wheels above 30 degrees but thats with a decent windshield. I doubt the tiny stock windshield would be comfortable for me much below 45, but in E. Ky I should still have 5-8 days per month where its warm enough to ride.

Spyder Garage

A lot of concerns/considerations have allready been adressed in the thread. One additional thing that I would worry for is ice chunks. My car has a ground clearance of 170mm, the ryker has 112mm, and during the winter it happends very often that my car scrapes snow/ice build up on the road or hits ice blocks falling off from the wheel wells of other cars. Even with an extra radiator guard I would still expect damage to either the radiator or front suspension/linkages.

Spyder Garage

instead of hand-guards aso - I installed now the Can-Am winter-fairing ..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    instead of hand-guards aso - I installed now the Can-Am winter-fairing ..
    Which fairing did you go with? Did you have to change the handlebar?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Switchback12 View Post
    Which fairing did you go with? Did you have to change the handlebar?
    Can-Am outlander luxury .. yes you need a little different handlbar to fix it ..
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Hi Chris56. That winter fairing looks sweet! I ride my 600 in the winter. If the roads are clear and the temp hit's 40 or higher, I will bundle up and go for an hour ride. Clears the head and is refreshing. I have had it snow, when on one of these rides and hightailed it home. I am approaching 6,000 miles and am a happy camper with my 600 Ace.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ryker62 View Post
    Snow tires are not required everywhere in Canada. For example, Ontario does not require them while Quebec does.
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Spyder Garage

Gratulation to the Can-Am- Designers - such a brilliant idea to fix it on the handlebars !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtQs...ature=youtu.be