Spyder Garage

Default New member with 2012 RT & Code P1174 - any ideas?

New to site, new to me used 2012 RT. I had some minor problems that I worked out. I came home yesterday, with the engine light on. I checked for codes and found P1174, System too lean bank 2. When I bought the bike, the purge tank by the fuel filter was disconnected and bypassed, I don't know why. Anyone know if this would cause a running lean code to pop up?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-16-2023 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question after move fm Welcome sect... ;-)

Spyder Garage

I got that code a lot with my 2011. Mine was caused by the purge vale sticking. You stated that yours had the evap cannister removed. Make sure the purge valve is still attached and plugged. If purge valve removed it will generate that fault. The other possible cause is a bad O2 sensor on the rear cylinder exhaust. Of course, there other possible causes: cracked intake manifold, dirty injector. Bruce
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-16-2023 at 07:06 PM. Reason: alot: ' 's ... ;-)
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Do you know if the rubber MAP sensor hoses have been changed to silicone. These are a known issue and should be changed from rubber to silicone.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by safecracker View Post
    I got that code a lot with my 2011. Mine was caused by the purge vale sticking. You stated that yours had the evap cannister removed. Make sure the purge valve is still attached and plugged. If purge valve removed it will generate that fault. The other possible cause is a bad O2 sensor on the rear cylinder exhaust. Of course, there other possible causes: cracked intake manifold, dirty injector. Bruce
    Thanks for the input, the canister is plugged off, but I'm going to relook at the purge valve. I might try putting the canister back in line and see what happens. It idles at 1300 to 1400 rpms, is that about right? And do you know if it will hurt to run with it being lean? Thanks
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-20-2023 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Do you know if the rubber MAP sensor hoses have been changed to silicone. These are a known issue and should be changed from rubber to silicone.
    Hi, I'll have to check that out, but I doubt it. Where is the MAP sensor located?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by drewdog View Post
    Thanks for the input, the canister is plugged off, but I'm going to relook at the purge valve. I might try putting the canister back in line and see what happens. It idles at 1300 to 1400 rpms, is that about right? And do you know if it will hurt to run with it being lean? Thanks
    Yes, 1200 to 1300 is normal for your motor.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-20-2023 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

The can should be disconnected, and the valve should be plugged; just make sure that the vac hose to the engine is plugged and tight. The can itself can be ripped out and set to the side. I just did mine this summer, that's what I did, and I'm glad I did it.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-20-2023 at 11:27 PM.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by drewdog View Post
    Hi, I'll have to check that out, but I doubt it. Where is the MAP sensor located?
    Look on the left side of the Spyder up by the throttle bodies you will see a little black with a hose coming from that to the throttle body. There is one kind of hidden on the other side going to the front Throttle body. My silicone hoses are a reddish color. If yours are anything but black then they have been changed. If they haven't been changed, now would be a good time. I bought mine from NAPA, they are 3 mm vacuum hose in silicone. When I changed mine in 2015 I paid $6.00 for a package. When you take off the old hoses, preserve them and cut the new ones the same length.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Unfortunately ongoing

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...k-engine-light.

Purge was replaced, evap still connected, & MAP hose silicon upgrade; still random codes - no codes - engine light - or no engine light. The Light has been more constant lately & the codes P1171 &/or P1174. Sometimes they alternate, or team up, or disappear. Attempting to keep records of mileage & occurrence. Mainly happening at start-ups & fill ups. Is a wicked gremlin!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-04-2023 at 05:38 PM.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Was on vacation for a while, thanks for the replies. I will check out my options. Anyone know what psi the fuel pump should put out?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-04-2023 at 05:39 PM.