Spyder Garage

Spyder Can you increase the fuse amperage for the trunk power adapter? Or other solution?

With so many experts on this Forum, we are hoping for a solution to our problem which is if we can charge my wife's portable Inogen Oxygen machine while we are riding?

Wife has a light weight Inogen Oxygen producer and we have a car charger adapter we use in our car to charge the unit. It takes a 25 amp fuse (we had to increase fuse amperage from 20 to 25 amps for the unit not to blow the fuse) to charge the unit. Is there any solution to this problem using the Spyder trunk charging unit or does anyone have another solution? Believe trunk charging unit is supported by a 5 amp fuse which makes it useless for other than charging a cell phone. We have a 2016 RT L SE6.

Spyder Garage

I reckon you'd be much better served by installing dedicated 25 amp capable wiring in a charging circuit specifically for the Inogen than you will be by massively overloading the existing wiring in that OE 5amp circuit!! The 5 amp fuse is almost certainly there to protect the wiring from being overloaded, and swapping fuses just to allow said overloading is simply asking for trouble... &/or a fire!

Installing a dedicated circuit really isn't hard to do for yourself, or if you don't think you're up to it, it won't cost you a heap to get an auto elec to do it, and that way they get to ensure it's all up to scratch.... But whatever way you get it done, having a dedicated charging circuit with wiring that's heavy enough for the intended load, with suitable fusing & fuse holders, etc, will almost certainly be worth it!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I bobbarb4546

Me too that's what I'll do, wiring is limited

FlyBoy2121
    2014 RT ltd , original original Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bobbarb4546 View Post
    With so many experts on this Forum, we are hoping for a solution to our problem which is if we can charge my wife's portable Inogen Oxygen machine while we are riding?

Wife has a light weight Inogen Oxygen producer and we have a car charger adapter we use in our car to charge the unit. It takes a 25 amp fuse (we had to increase fuse amperage from 20 to 25 amps for the unit not to blow the fuse) to charge the unit. Is there any solution to this problem using the Spyder trunk charging unit or does anyone have another solution? Believe trunk charging unit is supported by a 5 amp fuse which makes it useless for other than charging a cell phone. We have a 2016 RT L SE6.
    Mr bobbarb4546,
    Don't know if they changed much between the years, but my 2018 RTL lists the alternator as 90 Amps maximum. The 25 amp circuit you put on would take around 28% of the total available. The Spyder is a power hog, so at very minimum I'd put a dedicated 25 amp circuit directly off of the battery, with an engine running load shedding relay to protect the power circuit from all kinds of problems. I've never seen it (yet), but there's lots of stories about Spyders throwing weird codes with low battery voltage, which is exactly what will happen if you pull 25 amps off before the engine runs.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

25 amp on 16 gauge wire. That's a bit too much. Connect a dedicated line with 12 gauge wire. The alternator puts out lots of power. So don't worry about that. But putting a relay in the circuit so it is only live when the engine is running. Is a good idea. The accessory circuit can be used as the trigger voltage for the relay.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

portable Inogen Oxygen machine It takes a 25 amp fuse

You say it takes 25 amps. I have an Inogen portable also and it only calls for about 7 amps max. What unit do you have?

Spyder Garage

I have some friends that have the same machine and it wont work in their van. It is supposed to only operate in newer vehicles as the system draws too much amperage. It doesn't pop the fuse the draw is just too much and the battery for the machine goes down. Best wishes on getting it solved!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Simple answer to your question is NO.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you have the SAE plug type battery maintainer on your Spyder that is directly hooked to your battery terminals you could use that plug...But at 25 A. I'd say your at the limits of that style connector...

Spyder Garage

Thank you for all your responses. Her machine is a Inogen 3. If we were to get a dedicated line from the battery with applicable fuse for safety will this be a safe solution. As Baron14y has stated it only draws 7 amperes and is it necessary to have a 12 gauge independent wire from the battery to support a 25 amp fuse. We were traveling with all our lights on plus the multiple lights of our Aluma Trailer when the 20 amp fuse blew and it was replaced by a 25 amp fuse. It fixed the problem in our 2013 Acadia but now we really need to get this issue fixed so we can enjoy longer rides. All your feedback and solutions are highly appreciated. We would just ask for clarification on the solution to this problem. If unit is only drawing 7 amps can we run a dedicated line to support 10 or 15 amps and fuse of applicable size to resolve this problem and would it be SAFE? We are not very mechanically inclined and request your expertise to help us make a smart decision so we can enjoy longer rides. In the past we have added upgrades to our Spyder based on the expert advice of our Spyder Lover Friends and those recommendations including replacing OEM tires with car tires (Vredestein Quatrac 5's) and we are enjoying our ride so much more than before.. This is a big one that would make us very happy campers.

Spyder Garage

The plot thickens. If I understand you correctly. You are confusing what happened on one bike with another. If the unit only takes 7 amps. The accessory circuit is dedicated to only the rear and front outlet. There should be nothing else connected to it. So as long as the internal battery powers the unit and the plug is only a battery charger for the unit. Changing to a 10 amp fuse should not be a problem. If the unit is driven directly from the plug. Initial motor start draw needs to be taken into account. That would take a 15 amp fuse. Someone needs to verify the wire gauge for a 2016 RT. I don't have the wiring diagram for that specific year.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Sorry for the confusion, the Acadia is a full size SUV by GMC not a motorcycle. We had to change out the 20 amp fuse for a 25 amp fuse because the 20 amp fuse blew on our trip up to the Smokies. The 25 amp fuse fixed the problem in our car and now we want to fix the problem of charging my wife's Inogen Oxygen machine which I believe Baron14y states only draws 7 amps. Now you have the correct information we would appreciate advice on fixing our problem. Thank you BILLYBOVINE for your expertise on this issue and we welcome your advice on how to finally fix this problem so we can enjoy longer rides and keep my wife's oxygen unit fully charged as we go along. Were are going to be extremely happy Spyder Riders if we can fix this issue. And could a automotive electrical shop accomplish running a dedicated line from the battery to the console?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Which 20amp fuse blew in your Acadia? A main fuse in the power distribution panel? If so, what else is on that circuit? If not a main circuit fuse, then is it the inline fuse associated with the cigarette lighter adapter?

I'm quite sure your med machine doesn't need a 25 amp circuit. Look at the power supply for the oxygen machine; it will tell you how much AC input amperage it draws and how much DC output it creates. It should also have a power / wattage rating. What are all those numbers?

Also, you keep saying the machine's charging circuit, which would imply it has a battery. I doubt that, but we need to know if the power supply powers the machine or just recharges a battery, as you're implying.

Yes an automotive electrical shop can do the install. But you need to be clear about what you want them to do.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bobbarb4546 View Post
    Sorry for the confusion, the Acadia is a full size SUV by GMC not a motorcycle. We had to change out the 20 amp fuse for a 25 amp fuse because the 20 amp fuse blew on our trip up to the Smokies. The 25 amp fuse fixed the problem in our car and now we want to fix the problem of charging my wife's Inogen Oxygen machine which I believe Baron14y states only draws 7 amps. Now you have the correct information we would appreciate advice on fixing our problem. Thank you BILLYBOVINE for your expertise on this issue and we welcome your advice on how to finally fix this problem so we can enjoy longer rides and keep my wife's oxygen unit fully charged as we go along. Were are going to be extremely happy Spyder Riders if we can fix this issue. And could a automotive electrical shop accomplish running a dedicated line from the battery to the console?
    OK, you've clarified well now.

It would be poor practise to run your unit from the trunk accessory socket.

When an electrical device contains a motor, just as you switch on the device there is a large current flow much larger than the rated continuous current flow. This is because the motor is not turning at switch on so its windings act almost as a short on the circuit, once it is spinning the motor presents itself as a higher resistance so the current draw drops.

To overcome this it is common to utilise a slow blow fuse which can tolerate the high start current for long enough to get the motor up to speed. But, in your case it appears the start up current draw is greater than 20amps (since you needed a 25amp fuse in your car) This would be beyond the normal capability of a fuse around the 7 to 10amp rating.

Your option then would be to fuse the circuit using a 25amp fuse. Fusing a 5amp rated circuit with a 25amp fuse would not be a good thing even if the cabling could carry a bit more than 5amps - 25amps is a great deal more!

So, you've two choices, a direct always live supply from the battery or a battery supply to a relay and the relay triggered by an ignition live source so when you turn on the ignition the relay energises and you get your supply to your oxygen unit. The trunk accessory supply could be used to trigger the relay if this proved convenient.

Your main supply, direct or through the relay, will require a 25amp or greater fuse as close to the battery as is possible to protect the circuitry. Since in your car a 20amp fuse blew, I'd use a 35amp fuse. A 25amp fuse is going to be running hot while carrying 20 plus amps.
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Spyder Garage

Sorry for being a bit blunt here, but it really sounds like you probably should take your Inogen machine AND the Spyder to an Auto Elec and tell them how you want to use/run/charge the Inogen! They will be able to install an appropriate circuit, wiring, relays if necessary, fuses, the lot - But I think you are adding a lot of confusion and misunderstanding to the situation (yours as well as possibly others!) by trying to compare what happened on your Acadia with what you're trying to do now!

If you don't really understand the wiring or fuse size issues that've been mentioned, or even the 'is it safe to do this' bit, you're probably best off NOT trying to second guess how it needs to be done, and NOT trying to quantify what might be needed when you're asking those questions..... If you aren't confident, then please, take it to an expert and tell them what your desired outcome & performance is - You want to be able to safely charge/run your Inogen machine without compromising safety, the wiring, &/or the battery. Simples!

BTW, fitting a higher amperage fuse in order to stop a lightweight fuse from blowing all the time is really NOT a recommended course of action.... not unless you like cooking marshmallows over the coals of your now useless & burnt out vehicle! And YES, there was a time when I too didn't think an extra 5 amps would matter, but I learnt thru personal experience many years ago that it can and, especially when it comes to motor vehicles, oftimes does!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just looked this up. It runs on battery power. There are various battery packs, providing varying periods of run times (e.g. 5 hours or so). There is NO WAY it draws anywhere close to 25 amps. Do as Peter says and go to a qualified auto electrical shop with the machine and Spyder and ask them. My guess is the recharge draw is less than 7 amps.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Thank you to all our Spyder Lovers for your expert and practical advice. We have an appointment today with a Auto Electric Shop and hope to have this issue resolved today. My wife is on Oxygen 24/7 and uses a large oxygen unit while we are home and then the portable Inogen 3 when we are out. The tech understands the issue and will be installing a dedicated line for her Inogen 3. Inogen recommends a line no smaller to handle up to 15 amps which is a little over twice as much to keep the battery of the unit charged. My wife is going to be a happy camper as she is limited on the activities she can participate in and this one is her favorite in being able to ride her Spyder. Now we will be able to take longer rides and not worry about running out of battery. We have heeded the advice of many participants of this forum including replacing the sway bar when we first purchased our Spyder and then also replacing the oem tires with Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires. Both upgrades have made a remarkable difference in safety and comfort of our ride. We are currently up in the Smokies and enjoying the more cool temps and the great roads to ride on. Thanks again to the Spyder Lovers of this great forum!

Spyder Garage

Had the dedicated line from the battery installed and it works! Wife's Inogen 3 is now charging her unit. Yea! However, I just got home and noticed what appears to be like a elongated orange light bulb with the orange numbers going counter clockwise of 2 on the left 2 on the bottom and 2 on the right side of the bulb all in orange. anyone have an idea what that symbol and numbers mean. The Spyder ran perfectly without any problems. Thanks again for anyone's expertise in identifying this issue.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey Bob. Are you talking about this light? If so, that's your VSS indication light. Those aren't 2's, they're just squiggles. You can read all about VSS in your manual. But for right now, let's start simple and work our way up. You had another mechanic working on your machine, right? He probably had to move some stuff around to run some wires. There's a switch under the passenger portion of your seat that is part of the VSS system. It tells the system that a passenger is onboard so that it can make some adjustments. Lift up your seat and inspect the wiring going from that switch down to the frame. Make sure it is plugged in.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Doug, You are the man!!!! How the heck I saw a light bulb with 3 2's engulfing it I dont know, but, that was it. I did just what you suggested and problem has been solved. Great job and thanks for the right diagnosis and fix. Your the bomb and yes they were squiggles and the warning light is now gone. And yes the auto electrician who installed a dedicated line for my wifes oxygen machine today some how it got disconnected. Anyway, thanks for the great tip and I hope to run into you some day because your favorite beverage will be on me. Take care.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Of course. You’re welcome. My father was on O2 for many years, so I’m familiar with all of the concerns that go into managing that. I’m glad your wife can ride with you and get the supply she needs. Be safe out there.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238