Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jsalientes3 View Post
    Ok great thanks for the input. Oh and no I never ride it in the rain.
    Doubtful anyone plans to ride in the rain, my point is, if you get the air filter wet, it likely will run poorly, or may even quit.

Spyder Garage

If they were putting a turbo in there I may take a look at it, but just a big filter and a larger tube feeding it!! No!! It reminds me of back in high school when we would take our air filter covers and take them off and flip them over, MAN did that make it sound tuff hearing that suck the air, it just made us feel like we put a turbo on the old girl, But it was just a hoax!! Good luck with all that drink the cool-aid!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    This brings up a subject that has been a question for me for some time. This, and a number of similar air intake kits for other vehicles, are many times touted as a 'Ram Air' systems. Frankly, I do not see how this can be true. Ram air takes advantage of the vehicles speed which creates a pressurized air wave at the front of the vehicle. The faster the rate of speed, the greater the pressure. That is why we put windshields on our motorcycles. To protect us from the effects of this pressure wave of air.

However, a true 'Ram Air' system requires more than just a larger, freer flowing air filter. Ram Air also needs a way to collect this pressurized, higher density, higher velocity air. Typically, this is accomplished with a scoop or collector pointed in the direction of travel. 2 good examples of this are pictured below. The WW2 P-51 used Ram Air to increase air flow over the engine oil cooler. But it is the same principal. Higher density and velocity translates to a higher volume of air delivered to the cylinder, theoretically increasing power output of the engine.

Why 'Theoretically'? Because you have to match the additional air charge with the appropriate amount of fuel for all of this to create an increase in power output.

By the way, my dad took a ride in this exact P-51 fighter. What a smile that put on his face! This particular aircraft is based in Ramona, California (San Diego County). It is a beautiful, Awesome machine!

The Ram Air assembly for the Ryker listed here (as with many other 'Ram Air' systems) has no scoop or collector facing forward. So I see no way for this to qualify as a true 'Ram Air' system. As you can see below, the portion of the air filter facing forward is a solid piece with no way for air to enter from this direction.

My thoughts exactly! The stock Ryker setup is a true Ram Air system. Granted, the picture below is of the Ram Air for the CVT. But there is a similar assembly on the left side for the engine air intake.

I don't mean to be mean or 'Negative' here. Rather, I am attempting to make an objective analysis of this air intake system. I think it is what we all attempt to do when we consider purchasing any product.
    Boosted applications as in the 1st picture will benefit more from cooler denser air, also needing a low restriction exhaust. The most our little machines can hope for is cooler intake temperatures, but at what cost? Most folks here seem to be more into touring, requiring cleaner and elements (dirt, water) free intakes.

The P51 your father rode in, would it be the one that was or still is owned by the Dr. in Chino? I believe the one in the picture is from Montana? Last I heard the plane in San Diego was not airworthy? Its been awhile since I have been around there though!

Spyder Garage

That system in the first post is NOT " ram air" RA to be effective ( only 2 or 3% at best) must be in the very front where the pressure is highest, must be smooth inducing no turbulence, must be will sealed and insulated so as not to gather engine heat, taper no more that 10% until the filter. I learned these thing from Kevin Cameron, did them and more on my ZX-11. It added some above 80 mph or easily so pulling away from my friends ZX with no ram air mods. Oh, the ZX was one of the first bikes to have true RA.
    Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

This is the way to increase horse power. Changing out air intake doesn't increase HP only thing you will gain might be that your engine sounds different then stock.

Spyder Garage

That system in the first post is NOT " ram air" RA to be effective ( only 2 or 3% at best) must be in the very front where the pressure is highest, must be smooth inducing no turbulence, must be will sealed and insulated so as not to gather engine heat, taper no more that 10% until the filter. I learned these thing from Kevin Cameron, did them and more on my ZX-11. It added some above 80 mph or easily so pulling away from my friends ZX with no ram air mods. Oh, the ZX was one of the first bikes to have true RA.
    Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sputter View Post
    Boosted applications as in the 1st picture will benefit more from cooler denser air, also needing a low restriction exhaust. The most our little machines can hope for is cooler intake temperatures, but at what cost? Most folks here seem to be more into touring, requiring cleaner and elements (dirt, water) free intakes.

The P51 your father rode in, would it be the one that was or still is owned by the Dr. in Chino? I believe the one in the picture is from Montana? Last I heard the plane in San Diego was not airworthy? Its been awhile since I have been around there though!
    The 'Six-Shooter' WWII P-51 pictured in my previous post is owned by Chuck Hall. My dad took his flight in 1996 and Chuck owned it then. According to his Facebook page, this aircraft is still available for flights. Maybe you are confusing this P-51 with another aircraft?

History: 67-22580 N2580 "Six Shooter"

1967: Nov 24, NEW, Cavalier Aircraft Corp Cavalier F-51D
    1968: Jan 19, Bolivian AF - FAB 520
    1977: Dec, C-GXUQ, surplus, Arny Carnegie, Edmonton Alberta
    1978: Aug, C-GXUQ, sale, Neil McClain / McClain Flight Services Ltd, Strathmore Alberta
    1986: Oct, N151RK, sale, Richard Korff, Lockport NY
    1992: May, N151RK, sale, Aero Classics Inc, Daytona Beach FL
    1995: Nov, N151RK, sale, Chuck Hall, Ramona CA
    1996: Apr 18, reg, N2580, Chuck Hall, Ramona CA
    Last edited by BajaRon; 11-23-2019 at 01:08 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    The 'Six-Shooter' WWII P-51 pictured in my previous post is owned by Chuck Hall. My dad took his flight in 1996 and Chuck owned it then. According to his Facebook page, this aircraft is still available for flights. Maybe you are confusing this P-51 with another aircraft?

History: 67-22580 N2580 "Six Shooter"

1967: Nov 24, NEW, Cavalier Aircraft Corp Cavalier F-51D
    1968: Jan 19, Bolivian AF - FAB 520
    1977: Dec, C-GXUQ, surplus, Arny Carnegie, Edmonton Alberta
    1978: Aug, C-GXUQ, sale, Neil McClain / McClain Flight Services Ltd, Strathmore Alberta
    1986: Oct, N151RK, sale, Richard Korff, Lockport NY
    1992: May, N151RK, sale, Aero Classics Inc, Daytona Beach FL
    1995: Nov, N151RK, sale, Chuck Hall, Ramona CA
    1996: Apr 18, reg, N2580, Chuck Hall, Ramona CA
    Possible? I cannot remember the Doctors name from Chino, my dad knew him, my niece was offered a ride when she was about 12. I do remember the Six Shooter being in Montana and Strega in Northern Cal and Dago Red in Chino, Ramona was burning the last I was around there. Some kind of Repo or something happened to Dago Red, My 2 favorites, Dago Red and Strega! There were about 10-12 in Cal. in various states of airworthiness, some have changed names. There are a couple up here in Minnesota too. Awesome war birds!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sputter View Post
    Possible? I cannot remember the Doctors name from Chino, my dad knew him, my niece was offered a ride when she was about 12. I do remember the Six Shooter being in Montana and Strega in Northern Cal and Dago Red in Chino, Ramona was burning the last I was around there. Some kind of Repo or something happened to Dago Red, My 2 favorites, Dago Red and Strega! There were about 10-12 in Cal. in various states of airworthiness, some have changed names. There are a couple up here in Minnesota too. Awesome war birds!
    WWII produced some awesome machines. Of course a lot of improvements were made to the P-51 over the years. The 1967 model had a lot more than the 1945 models did. An amazing era gone by. Not that I'm looking for another war to boost aviation improvements. But the fact of the matter is that the crucible of war has, in many ways, advanced what man can do. For better or worse. Many war inventions, as strange as it may seem, have greatly improved our everyday lives.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

It's more of a CAI (cold air intake) then it is a ram air intake. Cold air intakes work on cars by capturing colder, denser air that allows for a cooler combustion.
    Not sure if that would actually benefit the Ryker since the engine is completely exposed.

It looks cool though.