Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Ram Air Intake System

A little more air, please. If you think your Ryker needs more air, Treal Performance has the right solution. Treal's also planning a turbo for the Ryker.

Ryker-Intake.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting....🤔

Let us know how it works out if your adding to your ryker but have not seen one for the F3 or other models....I added some extra air flow to my RS many years ago...
    20171227_093836.jpg (52.9 KB)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Batmobil-F3 View Post
    A little more air, please. If you think your Ryker needs more air, Treal Performance has the right solution. Treal's also planning a turbo for the Ryker.

Ryker-Intake.jpg

I am already skeptical of this company ….. I'm pretty sure the computer on the Ryker will DO what the computers do on the 1330 ( and all past engines ). They ADJUST to input changes …. meaning they will cancel / adjust to more & cooler air …. this is a FACT I'm not guessing on this ….. Monster Fuel was successful in their Power increase Because they re-mapped the computer. … Ask " TREAL " for DYNO results …. I'll bet you Don't hear back ….. good luck … Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't waste your money, what Blueknight911 above said is correct. Modern Fuel Injection constantly adjusts to Air Flow, Air Temp and Air density. A "Ram Airflow" has little or no effect below speeds of 100 MPH or so.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Now that is just waste of money. Then again there will be someone like the look of it and put down that hard earn cash.

Spyder Garage

I can do the same thing with my stock Ryker that they do in their info-mercial, custom Ryker. They give nothing to compare too. The stock Ryker 900 will spin the rear tire on acceleration. If they wanted to show improvement. All they need to do is drag race a stock Ryker next to their custom Ryker and show everyone the difference. I'd say there is a reason they don't do that. Of course you can easily fudge a drag race. And there are no Dyno numbers offered.

If you want to do this for the look, and don't mind the inevitable increase in intake noise. Then this mod may be for you. But if you are looking for a power increase, I'd want a lot more evidence before I went with this. I think chances are high that you would be disappointed.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 10-14-2019 at 03:44 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

So what about just doing the 2 bros exhaust? Should feel and hear the power?

Spyder Garage

Bajaron. Man i use to buy stuff from you on my 09SE5! Got those kick ass spark plug wires from you

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stridersr7 View Post
    So what about just doing the 2 bros exhaust? Should feel and hear the power?
    Your imagination will feel the power.

Will probably result in a loss of power except at very hi RPM's and then doubtful of any gain.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    Your imagination will feel the power.

Will probably result in a loss of power except at very hi RPM's and then doubtful of any gain.
    It has a lot to do with the human psyche. There was a test done by Consumer's Guide magazine years ago. They asked a good number of people to judge the power and efficiency of many different vacuum cleaners. People consistently rated the noisier units as most powerful. Even though objective, scientific test results clearly showed that some of the much quieter vacuum cleaners actually had greater suction and delivered better results. It was clear that noise equaled power to the average consumer. This has always stuck in my mind.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    It has a lot to do with the human psyche. There was a test done by Consumer's Guide magazine years ago. They asked a good number of people to judge the power and efficiency of many different vacuum cleaners. People consistently rated the noisier units as most powerful. Even though objective, scientific test results clearly showed that some of the much quieter vacuum cleaners actually had greater suction and delivered better results. It was clear that noise equaled power to the average consumer. This has always stuck in my mind.
    … plus most Spyder owners are on the downhill side of the mountain ( I'm 72 )….. back in my early days with cars and mtc.'s there were things you could do to increase power HP, or Torque, some times both.... Todays veh's are sooooooooooo different. … it's like night and day. What worked back then just won't work now, computers read everything that is going on in the drive-train ( engine + transmission )….. and unless you alter the computer - everything you add or delete, most likely will cancelled by the computer ….. Worst case scenario is you change to many things and the OEM computer shuts down …… be careful what you wish for - is a truism …… good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

They said more data is coming. Kind of sad to see the negative comments.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
    What negative comments ??? … There are some folks on this forum who don't drink the Kool-Aid, and aren't afraid to question claims without proof ….. I don't think those are negative comments …… jmho …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    It has a lot to do with the human psyche. There was a test done by Consumer's Guide magazine years ago. It was clear that noise equaled power to the average consumer. This has always stuck in my mind.
    works for HD

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
    Worked as a flight test engineer and test pilot some years ago and am very familiar with Aerodynamic Q, ie the physics of Ram Air Pressure vs speed and Fluid Physics.

No negative comments at all.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Seems to me the stock system is already a ram air set up.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    Worked as a flight test engineer and test pilot some years ago and am very familiar with Aerodynamic Q, ie the physics of Ram Air Pressure vs speed and Fluid Physics.

No negative comments at all.
    This brings up a subject that has been a question for me for some time. This, and a number of similar air intake kits for other vehicles, are many times touted as a 'Ram Air' systems. Frankly, I do not see how this can be true. Ram air takes advantage of the vehicles speed which creates a pressurized air wave at the front of the vehicle. The faster the rate of speed, the greater the pressure. That is why we put windshields on our motorcycles. To protect us from the effects of this pressure wave of air.

However, a true 'Ram Air' system requires more than just a larger, freer flowing air filter. Ram Air also needs a way to collect this pressurized, higher density, higher velocity air. Typically, this is accomplished with a scoop or collector pointed in the direction of travel. 2 good examples of this are pictured below. The WW2 P-51 used Ram Air to increase air flow over the engine oil cooler. But it is the same principal. Higher density and velocity translates to a higher volume of air delivered to the cylinder, theoretically increasing power output of the engine.

Why 'Theoretically'? Because you have to match the additional air charge with the appropriate amount of fuel for all of this to create an increase in power output.

By the way, my dad took a ride in this exact P-51 fighter. What a smile that put on his face! This particular aircraft is based in Ramona, California (San Diego County). It is a beautiful, Awesome machine!

RamAir2.jpg

RamAir4.jpg

The Ram Air assembly for the Ryker listed here (as with many other 'Ram Air' systems) has no scoop or collector facing forward. So I see no way for this to qualify as a true 'Ram Air' system. As you can see below, the portion of the air filter facing forward is a solid piece with no way for air to enter from this direction.

RamAir.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Seems to me the stock system is already a ram air set up.
    My thoughts exactly! The stock Ryker setup is a true Ram Air system. Granted, the picture below is of the Ram Air for the CVT. But there is a similar assembly on the left side for the engine air intake.

RamAir3.jpg

I don't mean to be mean or 'Negative' here. Rather, I am attempting to make an objective analysis of this air intake system. I think it is what we all attempt to do when we consider purchasing any product.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 10-18-2019 at 09:53 AM.

Spyder Garage

Discussion of the issues is what this is all about. It is NOT necessary to get into arguing points back and forth. Good discussions are what makes the site interesting.

So far...just asking to keep it on the discussion basis. No need to get argumentative back and forth.

No ONE person is guilty. Just a general comment to get this back on track.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I say if that is what you are shooting for, then go for it. On the other hand, I am quite satisfied that my Ryker will achieve a 100mph on a freeway that has a 70mph speed LIMIT. If one finds the need for immediate speed/pickup than perhaps they put themselves into a situation resulting from their impatience? My Ryker already has more horsepower than my Harley, so I am happy enough with it. But, like I said if you wish the speed of a Corvette on your inexpensive three wheeler, have fun. I have no intention of running my Ryker Rally at the drag strip, and it already burns rubber way too easily, if I am not careful on taking off from a stop.

Spyder Garage

Hello guys,
    Can anyone tell me if I was to get it will it mess anything up? Can I just add that without doing anything else to it? Right now I have a two brothers exhaust. I only want to do these two things and that’s it. I’m not experienced with the performance side but I like the way it looks and sounds (that’s basically what I’m going for).

Spyder Garage

Though I have yet to get my ECU flashed on my F3T. From what I've here an ECU flash and exhaust upgrade is the way to go ,if performance gains are what you're interested in.

Spyder Garage

No I’m more for the looks and sound at this point. So can I put the intake on with my two brothers exhaust without doing anything else to it? Meaning not tuning, no dyno, or any issues, etc?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jsalientes3 View Post
    Hello guys,
    Can anyone tell me if I was to get it will it mess anything up? Can I just add that without doing anything else to it? Right now I have a two brothers exhaust. I only want to do these two things and that’s it. I’m not experienced with the performance side but I like the way it looks and sounds (that’s basically what I’m going for).
    Chances are no! But if you have a warranty failure on something that can be associated with it be prepared for a headache. Even if they cannot prove it! Just don't expect anything but a bit more noise, Maybe a little increase here and there due to cooler intake charge? The increases if any will not be noticeable except on a dyno.

Spyder Garage

Speculating, if you ride in the rain, problems could arrise.

What others mention regarding performance increase via a ram air or cold air intake is often hype over horsepower.

Spyder Garage

Ok great thanks for the input. Oh and no I never ride it in the rain.