Thread: Swivel coupler

Spyder Garage

Post Swivel coupler

Is it better to have a swivel coupler when towing a trailer behind your Spyder?

Spyder Garage

you have a three track vehicle that is not going to lean, and a trailer that is a 2 track vehicle and is not going to lean, so why would you want a swivel hitch? Those are for vehicles that lean.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieIndia View Post
    Is it better to have a swivel coupler when towing a trailer behind your Spyder?
    It'd probably be a good idea to use a swivel coupler for the trailer if you're planning on doing a fair bit of 'rough road/off road' towing, (cos 'fixed ball' type couplings generally restrict the safe working angles of the hitch... ) but apart from that scenario, I'd go with what Pegasus said above.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Okay, thanks that's what I wanted to know. Never towed on two wheels or three.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieIndia View Post
    Okay, thanks that's what I wanted to know. Never towed on two wheels or three.
    I think what I used would be considered a " swivel coupler " …. I really hated the clunk, clunk, clunk, of the usual Ball type coupler …. Every time you stopped or started or slowed or accelerated it would happen …. no matter how tight the ball was in the coupler ….. So I decide to use a " tie rod designed for a Toyt. pk-up " ( any tie rod will work, but the smaller the better )….. I bolted a 3 x 3 x 3 in. piece of alumin. angle to my Tow hitch and drilled a 5/16th hole in it …. the stub part of the tie rod, bolts in using a Lok-Nut the part with the swivel is attached to the tongue of the trailer...… NO more clunking, when I tow it I have to check to make sure it's there …. because I can't by feel or sound ….. an added feature is - it's much more difficult to steal ….. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I use a swivel coupler. Found it much better than the stock straight version coupler. Less of the twisting affect from coupler to trailer. JMO.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I put one on the trailer I built to pull behind my Goldwing. Took it off and sold it when I modified the tongue to pull it with my Spyder!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Had a swivel on my previous trailer for 2 wheel and took it off and use it on the RT622 now...just a great idea in any towing scenario.
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White