Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire Pressure?

Spyder Garage

Default Tire Pressure?

I weigh 200 and I have the rally edition. What is the best pressure to use in each of the three tires?
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Default 0-60.....

Start with the recommended pressure... both fronts have to be the same as you know... then ryde and see if this works or needs adjustment. Everyone will have a setting for them. You can probably get it by weight but the biggest is the handling out there on the road. What tires will also have an effect but if they are the OEM then start with their recommendations...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I have 20 on both fronts and I'm the same weight and The Manual says 20 for front, 25 for front on the 900 and 600 because the tire design is different. 26-30 on rear- I have about 27 right now . Sun comes out tomorrow so I can ride.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

So basically, 25 front and 30 rear. Got it. Thanks
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Nooo, he said 20 for the front of a Rally.
    Spyder F3-S Special Series my traveling ride
    Ryker Rally modified for dual sport duty
    Honda Grom heavily modified for dual sport duty
    Ducati Scrambler Icon Dark my other traveling ride

Spyder Garage

Recommended pressure on the Rally is 20 psi front, 28 psi rear.

Non Rally 600/900 are 25 psi front
    Last edited by KyBill; 10-12-2019 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Correction

Spyder Garage

Open the right side cover where the CVT Filter is and read the sticker

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KyBill View Post
    Recommended pressure on the Rally is 20 psi front, 28 psi rear.

Non Rally 600/900 are 25 psi front
    That is non-sensicle, as tire pressure is absolutely optimized based solely upon WEIGHT. Since the Rally obviously weighs the same, pressures should match exactly.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen47 View Post
    That is non-sensicle, as tire pressure is absolutely optimized based solely upon WEIGHT. Since the Rally obviously weighs the same, pressures should match exactly.
    Thats the published spec in the operators manual.

Possibly because the Rally has different tires? I don’t know the reason but you can look it up for yourself if you prefer.

Spyder Garage

OK, now I'm all confuzzled. I could not find the numbers in the manual. It said take off doohicky-whatever (no sure what it is and how to get it off). I just thought someone here would already know. Mine is the Rally. I have it filled now to 25 on the front and 30 on the rear. Will that cause problems?
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Per manual and on sticker under cvt side cover: recommended front 20, rear 28.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hawk View Post
    OK, now I'm all confuzzled. I could not find the numbers in the manual. It said take off doohicky-whatever (no sure what it is and how to get it off). I just thought someone here would already know. Mine is the Rally. I have it filled now to 25 on the front and 30 on the rear. Will that cause problems?
    If you never had them at 20 per the manual you wouldn't know- and it could possible make the bike more jittery or jumpy on back roads with rough spots and even on the highway it might be more sensitive as you complained about. BEST to start at the recommended pressures AND then experiment if you want.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

I have Rally as well. Recommended PSI is 20 front 28 rear. If you take off CVT air-filter cover on the throttle side you will see it.

Spyder Garage

I wonder why they hide info like that. I will let some air out and make it 20/20/28. FYI, when I went to fill them they where 14/15/24
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

I wonder why they hide info like that. I will let some air out and make it 20/20/28. FYI, when I went to fill them they where 14/15/24
    Its both in the operators manual and under the side cover on the Ryker. Its important that the front tires be within 1/2 psi on one another or it could affect the handling. I’ve run 18/18/26 at times and ride is fine but if pressure is too high it can cause bike to overreact to road imperfections (my dealer had tire pressures set either at 44 psi or thereabouts when I first picked up the new Ryker Rally. It was jumping all over the road.

Spyder Garage

What KyBill said about the front tires being within 1/2 pound of each other is VERY important. When I first got my Spyder RTS back in '14, my wife and I used to ride a lot and the bike really felt a little vague in the corners. I was ready to order a heavier sway bar for it when I read a thread about the importance of the front tires being within that 1/2 lb. I checked and they were more than that. After correcting, it made a world of difference and fixed my cornering "vagueness". I'm NOT saying anything bad about heavier sway bars. I understand they help in more aggressive riding but I didn't ride aggressively with my wife and I don't ride my Rally that way either. Knowing this ahead of time, I have always checked my Rally pressures closely and have not noticed any handling problems. So keep a close eye on those front pressures!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by poli View Post
    Per manual and on sticker under cvt side cover: recommended front 20, rear 28.
    Mine says 25 front, 28 rear.

Spyder Garage

25 front and 28 rear is correct for the 600 and 900 models that do not have the Rally style tires. Specification on the Rally model is 20 front and 28 rear.
    r
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't get too awfully panicky about tire psi. Find what psi suits you best, stick with it, and check it often. Many folks don't know that in these small tires the psi will vary quite a bit and quite often; due to a number of outside influences. It is not uncommon at all to have a pound and a half deviation between the two tires and never notice it. A front tire psi can change a half pound, (or more) several times in just 30 minutes.

Spyder Garage

I wonder what pressure I should use when I switch to car temporary spare tires when I need new front tires? They are slightly narrower than the current front tires.

Spyder Garage

I wonder what pressure I should use when I switch to car temporary spare tires when I need new front tires? They are slightly narrower than the current front tires.
    Generally, those Temporary/Space Saver Spares are 'smaller volume' tires that need significantly higher air pressure in them to carry the same load as the tire they are replacing, so you might want to check the pressure/load info for the particular tire with its manufacturer, once you know the load your Ryker will be putting on it! Also, most car temporary spare tires will have a lower speed rating than the OE Spec tires on your Ryker, so you should check the legalities of running them wherever you are.

Running a lower speed (or load) rated tire than the OE Spec tire is definitely NOT LEGAL at all here in Australia!

Even cars with Space Saver Temporary spares note the speed limited rating on their tire placards, have stickers & directions all over the place reminding people not to drive the car too far or too fast once the spare is fitted, & the space saver tires are fitted onto different (brightly) coloured (space saver) rims so that anyone (ie, Police...) can tell at a glance that the vehicle is not meant to be being driven at speeds higher than 80 kph! (50mph-ish) There are also often (technically) time & 'distance in use' limits on those tires - they just aren't intended or designed to be used as a 'full-time/service tire' at all! I wouldn't recommend running them on anything except as the temporary spare they were designed to be!

Why don't you fit a similar sized 'proper' car tire? There are slightly different sizes available that meet or exceed the OE Spec Load & Speed ratings, and some even get very close to the same rolling diameter as the Kendas so as to keep the Nanny happy! Altho she really isn't all that likely to be upset by anything within about a +/- 10-15mm rolling diameter variance. There's really no need to fit a Temporary Spare, which is very likely an even LESS suitable tire than the OE spec Kenda - while it might be quite hard to believe that's even possible, running a Temporary Spare as a 'Full-time/service tire' will be doing just that!

But it is your Ryker & your life.... and maybe the life of the person/s you could hit when your 'temporary spare' fails due to its misuse....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-18-2019 at 04:07 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Are you serious? You're jiving us, right?

Spyder Garage

Why not replace the existing tires with the same brand?

Even if you don't like the quality/performance of them, surely they will be better than a car spare tire. Spare tires are only designed for short term use and have speed and handling limitations.

You're better off replacing with the same tire and wait for an aftermarket tire or an aftermarket fender that allows slightly wider tires.

Spyder Garage

I'm not an expert on the matter so I will just pass on what I have been told by a Spyder owner that I know. He said he replaced his tires with car tires because they are cheaper and last longer. I have found CAR replacement tires for the Rally rear wheel that are one third the price of dealer tires. Of course, the front tires on the Ryker are different, so I doubt there are any comparable car tires on the local market without possibly special ordering. Just my two cents. My Rally is new and I am limiting my use until I receive replacement wheel hub nuts. I have no problem with using the Ryker but since the service Dept advised against it, my spouse gets too upset when I think about riding much more than short local runs with it. So, I will not have to worry about replacing my tires for some time, unless of some accidental damage occurs.

Spyder Garage

The so-called "temporary" spare has a speed rating of 81 MPH. Since the weight on it will be minuscule compared to both a 4 wheeler application and its actual weight rating, it will be bulletproof in a mere Ryker application.