Spyder Garage

Default First Ride on my new front VREDESTEIN QUATRAC 5's

I finally got in my test ride or the new Quatrac 5's. 90 miles in pretty strong Texas winds and found them to be outstanding. I really could feel the difference at low speeds in city traffic and then hit the open road cruising at 70 mph. The handling ... well all I can say is "WOW". I would have never expected to feel that much difference. I hope to get in a little cruising with Liz this weekend and see how the handling is with two up. To all those who have offered so much information that led me to this change ... Thank You.
    2014 , yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

What size for the rear tire on a 15” rim?
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    What size for the rear tire on a 15” rim?
    I am runing the Quatrac 5 in 205/60R15 size. I have 13,000 miles on it and it has been great. No issues in the rain (all types of rain) as well as dry roads. The only thing is tire wear as it looks like a 17 to 18,000 mile tire and the diffaculty of procuring one.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Try them in the rain & snow if you really want to see what they can do

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RTSJohn View Post
    I finally got in my test ride or the new Quatrac 5's. 90 miles in pretty strong Texas winds and found them to be outstanding. I really could feel the difference at low speeds in city traffic and then hit the open road cruising at 70 mph. The handling ... well all I can say is "WOW". I would have never expected to feel that much difference. I hope to get in a little cruising with Liz this weekend and see how the handling is with two up. To all those who have offered so much information that led me to this change ... Thank You.
    I'm glad your Glad you took the plunge …. You didn't mention what PSI you using …. the science and my opinion, say 17-18 psi ( front )…. Most folks here agree and are very happy running that range …. it won't matter what the load is …. it's a much stronger tire than the Crapenda's …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Changing the front tires on 2017 RTS made a big difference. Glad I did. Federal Formosas

Spyder Garage

We did a 200+ mile ride yesterday and loved the ride. Two up tracking was straight as an arrow. I am given to overcontrol in strong winds but found this not to be an issue yesterday. I'm running 17 PSI on the front and 26 on the rear (Kenda). To say I am satisfied would be an understatement. I still find it hard to believe that i would notice so much difference.
    2014 , yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

We took the advice of BLUEKNIGHT911's advice of upgrading our tires to the Vredestein Quantrac 5 tires Front 16 psi rear 18 psi and are currently riding the Smokie's and we are extremely pleased with the ride plus the increased safety of these wonderful tires. These tires make a HUGE difference in the ride!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Vredestein Quatrac 5's

Just ordered a set of Vredestein Quatrac 5's for the front. I'm sure I could have gotten a few thousand more miles out of the BRP tires ------- but its time. Besides---- I was out yesterday and feeling a bit frisky with the Stage 1 ECU upgrade and realized I could use a more substantial tire on the front.

Lew L
    Last edited by Lew L; 10-14-2019 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Friskyness
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Got my RT "Squared Away" this afternoon at the Syders In The Hills Rally. I get my first road test of the completion of new front tires and a Laser Alignment tomorrow in the Texas Hill Country.
    2014 , yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

what size tires did you buy, I am going to change my stock tires out also, very twitchy and I'm a new Spyder rider so trying to over correct makes it worse.

Spyder Garage

who mounted them for you, I am also in Texas in the Houston area...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RobertT View Post
    what size tires did you buy, I am going to change my stock tires out also, very twitchy and I'm a new Spyder rider so trying to over correct makes it worse.
    Spyders are not usually aligned well from the factory … If yours hasn't been Lazer aligned I would consider having it done ….. I chose the 165/60-15 Vredestein Quatrac 5 tire …. the 175/55-15 also works but it is about $18 to $20 more and I don't think it's worth the price difference ...jmho.. ….. Mike …….

Spyder Garage

I bought the 175/55-15 from tire rack. I removed my front wheels and took them and new tires to Discount Tire and the mounted with new valves for
    $22 each. I just finished about 900 miles to-from-and during "Spyders in the Hills" and I am really pleased with the tires and the Laser Alignment I had done by Squared Away at the event. Enjoy that ride !!!
    2014 , yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RTSJohn View Post
    I bought the 175/55-15 from tire rack. I removed my front wheels and took them and new tires to Discount Tire and the mounted with new valves for
    $22 each. I just finished about 900 miles to-from-and during "Spyders in the Hills" and I am really pleased with the tires and the Laser Alignment I had done by Squared Away at the event. Enjoy that ride !!!
    Glad you are enjoying them …. have you been on any Wet roads yet ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Just mounted the Vredestine in 165 size. Did and oil change also and I'll take the out this afternoon to feel how the tires are and check the oil level. Looking forward to a good experience with the Vredestein tires.
    Lew L

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Just mounted the Vredestine in 165 size. Did and oil change also and I'll take the out this afternoon to feel how the tires are and check the oil level. Looking forward to a good experience with the Vredestein tires.
    Lew L
    Thanks - I also bought the 165/60-15 size ….. please tell us what PSI you are using also …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Thanks - I also bought the 165/60-15 size ….. please tell us what PSI you are using also …… Mike

Hi Mike,
    Well I took a little spin to get the feel of the new tires. I'm using 18 psi and that seems to give a great ride. Turn in seems quicker ( stiffer side walls??) The tires are quieter and an more " planted " in sharp turns. I purposely rolled over some rumble strips and the tires sounded vastly different---- deeper tone and not "slappy" like the wonderful OEM tires. ( better construction ??)

I'm very pleased. Thanks Mike for the good find.
    Lew L

Spyder Garage

Hi Mike,
    Well I took a little spin to get the feel of the new tires. I'm using 18 psi and that seems to give a great ride. Turn in seems quicker ( stiffer side walls??) The tires are quieter and an more " planted " in sharp turns. I purposely rolled over some rumble strips and the tires sounded vastly different---- deeper tone and not "slappy" like the wonderful OEM tires. ( better construction ??)

I'm very pleased. Thanks Mike for the good find.
    Lew L
    Lew, " stiffer sidewalls " - That's interesting, the Max load rating is only 908 lbs. per tire ( in 165/60-15 ) I will check further, but I believe that is on the Low side as far as max weight is concerned. ….. Please do me a favor, take the psi down to 16, and do 100 miles. I'd like your opinion on this …… Glad you like them, everyone else does ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Lew, " stiffer sidewalls " - That's interesting, the Max load rating is only 908 lbs. per tire ( in 165/60-15 ) I will check further, but I believe that is on the Low side as far as max weight is concerned. ….. Please do me a favor, take the psi down to 16, and do 100 miles. I'd like your opinion on this …… Glad you like them, everyone else does ….. Mike
    OK Mike, will do. I want to check the pressure after the R&R of the tires anyways. Check the lug nuts also. I ran the Crapendas at 24 or 25 psi ----- the Vredestiens at 18 psi felt much better/ more planted.

Lew L

Spyder Garage

OK Mike, will do. I want to check the pressure after the R&R of the tires anyways. Check the lug nuts also. I ran the Crapendas at 24 or 25 psi ----- the Vredestiens at 18 psi felt much better/ more planted.

Lew L
    Thanks for being willing to test them ….. some folks here have complained / suggested that ONLY if the tires are Actually tested on a Spyder does the info mean anything … I know better, but my ( tire ) knowledge base is greater than almost anyone on the Forum. The feedback from members here that have purchased these tires have been hugely positive ….. even more so than my other " best tire " the General Altimax RT43 ( the lower speed rated model ) …… thanks again for your input ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

The OEM Kenda front tire load rating is only 481 Lbs @ 30 PSI (Max Sidewall). So running them at the recommended 20 PSI ±2 PSI, the load rating is less. One reason I switched away from the poor original tires, load factor safety margin.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    The OEM Kenda front tire load rating is only 481 Lbs @ 30 PSI (Max Sidewall). So running them at the recommended 20 PSI ±2 PSI, the load rating is less. One reason I switched away from the poor original tires, load factor safety margin.
    I should have explained further …. I refuse to compare Kenda's with ANY Auto tire, they are so far apart in quality of construction, it just can't be done ….. My reference to the Q-5 tire @ 908lbs. was using a lot of other auto tire brands that will carry 200lbs. or so, more weight ( than the Q-5, ie 1100 +lbs. ).... IMHO there is a limit to how " soft " a sidewall can be.... I wouldn't go below 800lbs. because too much air pressure would be needed to keep them stabilized …. like the Crapenda's need …… Mike

Spyder Garage

So any thoughts on the Kumho below in the stock size on the rear to pair with the 175/55R15 Vredestein Quantrac 5's on the front?

Kumho Ecsta AST
    High Performance All-Season
    Size: 225/50R15 91H
    UTQG: 400 A A

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyBuickDealer View Post
    So any thoughts on the Kumho below in the stock size on the rear to pair with the 175/55R15 Vredestein Quantrac 5's on the front?

Kumho Ecsta AST
    High Performance All-Season
    Size: 225/50R15 91H
    UTQG: 400 A A

Thanks!
    The Q-5's are a great choice, they come in 205/60-15 so I recommend that for the rear. Many folks here report that the Kumho's lose wet traction at about 1/2 the tires wear life …… good luck …. Mike