Spyder Garage

Default Add power outlet to 2016 RT Limited

Can you tap into the wires that power the outlet in the trunk that run under the seat for a dash board power outlet?

Spyder Garage

Yes - but there are better ways. That outlet is fused at 5 amps, which probably OK for charging cell phone, etc. But I would suggest what a lot of us do: Those two round 55mm gauges for temp & gas - they pop out very easy with the 4 screws in that panel. Turn handlebars fully to easily take it out. Now you can take those out and replace with: 12V cigarette socket; dual USB; Voltage monitor; etc. etc. Kits from vendors on this site, very nice aluminum frames. Those readings automatically show up on your LCD screen when unplugged. Since the battery is right there up front, I found it easy to snake wires down to it (with the inline fuse) supplied by the vendors. You want to keep those off of existing circuits that are monitored by the computers. Just my 2 cents, very happy with them. I have a cigarette socket with a high power dual 2.1A adaptor one side and voltage monitor on the other $18 on EBay). I have the RTS (no GPS or chrome) but the rest is exactly the same.

Spyder Garage

Yes, you can tap into that circuit without a problem provided you stay withing the max current draw. You can fit a replacement higher rated fuse into the fuse box if need be. Take care how big you go though.

To add to stevencovert's post. If you need battery power up front there is no need to fight threading a positive supply from the battery; the battery positive is connected directly to the main alternator post so you can pick up power there and it's easily accessible at the lefthand front side panel. Battery negative is also engine ground to you can pick that up off an engine bolt near the alternator also. Just to reiterate what Steven said, if you go directly from a battery source, include a fuse close by your +ve connection.
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Spyder Garage

What are you going to power? Look in my posts for one titled "Look what I found" or maybe "Guess what I found". I describe where to find the power taps and how to run the wires up under the headlights to the switch panel.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

I use a accessories board to hook up things like this, of course you do have to tap into a lighting wire that turns the board on, but its the only tap you have to make, it feeds off the battery but its safer then tapping into wires all over the Bike.

Add On’s

2017 Pearl White RTL
    SPYDER RAM Multi Mount
    Ram Mount Drivers cup holder
    Ram Mount passenger Cup Holder
    TRICELED Bar/Circle
    Brake Light/RGB LED
    Ground Effects Lighting
    Airhorn/compressor
    LED Head Lights
    LED Fog Lights
    K & N Air filter