Spyder Garage

Default Help with changing out License Plate Light on 09 RS

So I picked up a standard tag light from the auto store. It has a ground and hot wire. If I cut into the original license plate light and replace it with a tag light, will I throw any codes? The reason for all of this is because I lost the lens cover and don't feel like paying $50 to replace it.

Thanks,
    Sheila

Spyder Garage

I may have a lens cover because I switched to the Sport Fender. I can check and let you know.
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tspappe View Post
    So I picked up a standard tag light from the auto store. It has a ground and hot wire. If I cut into the original license plate light and replace it with a tag light, will I throw any codes? The reason for all of this is because I lost the lens cover and don't feel like paying $50 to replace it.

Thanks,
    Sheila
    Not absolutely sure on this, but just trying to connect up & wire in an alternative light might not work too well, Sheila (Vader's lens might be a much better solution! )

Our Spyders use a Can-Bus system that rather than having separate wiring for each circuit, where the circuit for a particular light gets triggered at the contol end & then goes live along its entire length for just that light; instead (simplified somewhat for ease of explanation) the Can-Bus 'circuit' is effectively much lighter wiring loop with a number of different components hanging off it, a loop over which the controlling computer sends out a signal addressed to only the component/device which responds to it's 'proper ID', the component then doing whatever it is that it's been programmed or commanded to do.... So by cutting the wires to the tail-light & wiring in something that isn't going to be recognised by the conttrolling computer Can-Bus, you might end up with all sorts of things failing &/or working incorrectly.... that's IF anything works at all?!!

Anyhow, just throwing the 'Be wary of the Can-Bus' alert out there hoping that you don't get caught out, and sorta hoping that those who might really know more about that particular light & its wiring post up with the good oil!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-11-2019 at 02:19 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Not absolutely sure on this, but just trying to connect up & wire in an alternative light might not work too well, Sheila (Vader's lens might be a much better solution! )

Our Spyders use a Can-Bus system that rather than having separate wiring for each circuit, where the circuit for a particular light gets triggered at the contol end & then goes live along its entire length for just that light; instead (simplified somewhat for ease of explanation) the Can-Bus 'circuit' is effectively much lighter wiring loop with a number of different components hanging off it, a loop over which the controlling computer sends out a signal addressed to only the component/device which responds to it's 'proper ID', the component then doing whatever it is that it's been programmed or commanded to do.... So by cutting the wires to the tail-light & wiring in something that isn't going to be recognised by the conttrolling computer Can-Bus, you might end up with all sorts of things failing &/or working incorrectly.... that's IF anything works at all?!!

Anyhow, just throwing the 'Be wary of the Can-Bus' alert out there hoping that you don't get caught out, and sorta hoping that those who might really know more about that particular light & its wiring post up with the good oil!
    We did it with a RSS 2013. All was fine. ( I imagine a light bulb, is a light bulb....)

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

P.S. 3 Kumho AST 225/50R15 and 1 Toyo Proxies 4 225/50R15 rear tires
    2 sets of Kumho 175/55R15 front tires
    1 set of Hankook V4
    1 set of Canadian Tire General tire Evertrek RTX in 14" for the 2012 ...

Spyder Garage

Thank you very much, I appreciate it

Spyder Garage

Default Some do...

LED bulbs can cause issues as they are less resistant and polarity must be correct. In your case as that light is on the same circut as the running lights you will not have a problem. I lost some lenses but found them with the added reflector replaced with a lens so it became a running light as well. Several vendors have them as well as ebay and amazon unde $20.00. If installed with black silicone around the edge you will not lose it....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

My tag light got smashed at a dealer-stealer and he disavowed nay responsibility, claiming I brought it in that way. I have an eBay tail trunk, ran the tail-running light wires, brake light wire and ground to the lite in the trunk. 10 years not codes, no sweat. With license plate assembly/lite smashed, I just tapped the tail-running lite wire for an auto parts plate holder, mounting it higher on the trunk, bit careful not to block the view of brake, tail, & turn lights. words well for the spyder1.jpglast 6 years.
    Former Navy LT, Retired Chemical Dependency Therapist, Retired Widower, "Do, or do not, there is no try"... Jedi Master Yoda.
    Proud member of AA, PGR, and a Navy Shellback!
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , matte black trim, Green/gray Charcoal? depends on the lighting