Spyder Garage

Default Big Bang Theory - Gearbox

Has anyone experienced or reported on the noticeable loud "BANG" from the gearbox when shifting out of neutral to reverse or neutral to first gear? However shifting from first to reverse or reverse to first is a very smooth/silent synchronization. Had this condition upon pickup new from the dealer and is still doing it after 1100mi. is this "BANG" normal and typical? I've had a variety of motorcycles (Honda and Kaw) some shifted better than others out of neutral but the 1330 ACE gearbox is by far the clank winner! (i mean the clear winner)
    2019 RT Limited , Pheonix orange

Spyder Garage

It should only make the “bang” when starting up and shifting to Reverse or first gear. There should be no “Bang” shifting from reverse to drive or shifting from 1st-6th. Yes this is normal with the initial shift only when machine is turned on. Commanders and outlanders are the same, skidoo 4 stroke reverse is the same also. It’s a BRP thing.

Spyder Garage

My RS SE5 does it. One way I found to help is to, after backing out of the garage, I hold the paddle shifter until it goes into first gear. No clunk when doing this.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you do a search on this site it will lead you to further information and YouTube videos showing and explaining exactly how and why this "clunk/bang" occurs, and you'll understand why it is not harmful.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    It should only make the “bang” when starting up and shifting to Reverse or first gear
    Not necessarily so - would "clunk/bang" from neutral to 1st or Rev whether it was just started or already running and put into neutral for some reason (and then back to 1st or Rev) - have done it many times. Just changed my oil and there was absolutely nothing on the transmissions magnetic drain plug so I'm of the opinion that it must not hurt anything.
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

The clunk, which is harmless, is because the transmission is a constant mesh design.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default It is normal.....

From neutral to frist or reverse will engage the idle transmission to the running engine. Once that has occured, with the so mentioned bang, the transmission is now in motion and all shifting will be smooth. If you start the engine while in gear this does not occur.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Normal for a constant mess transmission. To lessen the clunk, release the parking brake before leaving neutral.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Cool... Good point to clarify, it is in deed the "Initial" shift out of neutral that the clunk occurs. Thanks for all the replies.
    2019 RT Limited , Pheonix orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderCat View Post
    Has anyone experienced or reported on the noticeable loud "BANG" from the gearbox when shifting out of neutral to reverse or neutral to first gear? However shifting from first to reverse or reverse to first is a very smooth/silent synchronization. Had this condition upon pickup new from the dealer and is still doing it after 1100mi. is this "BANG" normal and typical? I've had a variety of motorcycles (Honda and Kaw) some shifted better than others out of neutral but the 1330 ACE gearbox is by far the clank winner! (i mean the clear winner)
    Yes, we all experience it to some degree or another. You will still have this condition 50,000 miles from now. I have found that I can lessen it a little by waiting for the engine idle to slow down after startup.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze