Thread: Handgrip heater

Spyder Garage

Default Handgrip heater

My left grip heater stopped working, has anybody replaced one or had this problem? the right one is working fine.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

I will be watching for answer's here too. Took in my 17 RTL for the 2nd yr. service. Told the service writer that my hand grips got way to hot on low an I would have to turn them off they got so hot thru gloves. Their answer from in the shop was, it has a low an high switch there is no ajustment for heated grips. WTH I knew that. So 3 weeks now the right grip on low still heats but barely, and on high is even less warm than low. And the left grip quits working on high an on low barely anything. Totally screwed up. You would of thought they would have at least checked the damn grips. Now warranty changed to the extended Best warranty an it will cost me the deductable if the guy that works on spyders decides there is a problem besides, there is a high low switch. Sorry for the rant in your thread.

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting....🤔

Does sound like an electrical connection problem. Could be that the grips are not connected to the switch High to High and low to low, something they should be able to check out easily enough. Might check with another shop/dealer. Many bikes have heated grips and there must be more information out there....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Some times the little wires that run into the grip get pinched, brake, or short out! There small and the grip some times twists that's when the gremlins come out and play!! Good Luck!! Or you could have a switch acting up, they do see water now and then!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Some times the little wires that run into the grip get pinched, brake, or short out! There small and the grip some times twists that's when the gremlins come out and play!! Good Luck!! Or you could have a switch acting up, they do see water now and then!
    Thanks, I'm going to take it apart and look for pinched or broken wires tomorrow.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement left side grip for less than the dealer $150? Long story, the heat still works but there is no grip over the coils...

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

There are several m/c salvage sites around. Also eBay. As one salvage yard sign here one time said, "After all your car is nothing more than a collection of used parts!"

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Has your dealer verified with BRP that your problem is covered under your Best Warranty. My shop manager claims that when he contacted BRP due to my hand grips not working at all on low or high that it wasn't covered under the Best Warranty. BRP called it a normal wear item, like brake pads and tires. I don't agree with it, should be classified as electrical. So I've been now going on 2 years without heated hand grips. Passenger grips heat up nicely though, real big help for the driver.