Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default just venting...day from hell at a dealership

I purchased a 2014 rts on feb 1st. I am due for my 3000 mile service. I had an appointment a few weeks ago for it, to have my headlights and fog lights checked due to they were flashing and turning off. A day before I was to have this service, the dealer called and said the mechanic was going to be gone and needed to change the day. This was ok with me due to I was thinking about getting the cb system installed. Told the service dept that I would call back to make another appt.
    I decided to get the cb and called the parts dept at the dealership. Told the guy to order it. He said i needed to pay first and sent me to the check out lady. Since we were talking on the phone, she sent me an email with their pay pal info. and i paid for the cb system..$1025. About 4 days later I got a call from the parts dept that my cb was in, the box had my name on it and it would be in the back room waiting for me.......pass me to service so I can get a service time. I told the service guy that I needed the 3000 mile service, my headlights/fog lights checked and the cb installed. My appoint. was set for yesterday at 9am.
    I arrived at 9am after a 1 1/2 hr ride. The service guy said ok. have you set up for the 3000 mile and check the headlights..thats was it. i asked about the install of the cb. I was told that there was no mention of it in the computer and the mechanic was booked all day on other service.
    Now this is my second time to go to this dealership for service. It is the 2nd time my appt has been screwed up. The first time someone deleted me from the list of service that day. I was able to get in thank goodness.
    I told the service guy i was was not happy about the lack of info. put into the computer, that it is not my fault the info. was not entered after I told them what I needed done. He said he would see what he could do. He had me sign that the cost would be $900. This included charges for checking the headlights/fog lights in case BRP denies covering the lights even tho it is covered by warranty. Another not happy thing.
    At 11am, a manager came over to me and asked for the cb unit. I told him what had taken place for me to order the cb. He left and came back a few min. later and saif there is no record of me placing an order for the cb and they had no record of me paying for it. I is not happy !!!
    I called my bank and get the date and tracking number and give it to the manager. he leaves and comes back 30 min. later. He found the payment but no order in the sytem. I told him I even got a call that the cb was in. he said they dont do that. i said that is why I waited to make an appt. ..to make sure the cb was here. He left. A few min. later he came back and said he was sending an employee to another dealership to get a cb for me.
    At 1:15 I walked down the street to get a bite to eat. I got a call from the manager asking me to come back that they had a major problem.
    As I walkd in, a service guy said they got the problem fixed.
    The problem was that the 2014 cb has 2 updates that require 2 small wires. The box my cb came in, had the numbers for the 2014 cb. when they opened it, there was only 1 wire. Luck had it that the manager had a 2014 cb that didnt work in a box and it had the wire I needed
    At 5pm i was told it would be ready in a few min.
    At 5:45 I was told the bike was ready. The mechanic came out to talk to me about all he did. He never mentioned checking the fog lights. I asked him about it and he said the service writer did not make any mention of it on the repair order.
    Now i am so upset and pissed of. I told the mechanic thanks knowing it was not his fault. So now i have to make another trip 1 1/2 hrs to get a problem fixed
    thanks for letting me vent

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow, Dave, that really sucks. And to have to go so far to get treated badly is even worse.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Service

Welcome! Great bikes, service is horrendous in way too many places! Got another one you can try? Have 2 here in Phoenix' northwest valley and they both stink

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave92253 View Post
    I purchased a 2014 rts on feb 1st. I am due for my 3000 mile service. I had an appointment a few weeks ago for it, to have my headlights and fog lights checked due to they were flashing and turning off. A day before I was to have this service, the dealer called and said the mechanic was going to be gone and needed to change the day. This was ok with me due to I was thinking about getting the cb system installed. Told the service dept that I would call back to make another appt.
    I decided to get the cb and called the parts dept at the dealership. Told the guy to order it. He said i needed to pay first and sent me to the check out lady. Since we were talking on the phone, she sent me an email with their pay pal info. and i paid for the cb system..$1025. About 4 days later I got a call from the parts dept that my cb was in, the box had my name on it and it would be in the back room waiting for me.......pass me to service so I can get a service time. I told the service guy that I needed the 3000 mile service, my headlights/fog lights checked and the cb installed. My appoint. was set for yesterday at 9am.
    I arrived at 9am after a 1 1/2 hr ride. The service guy said ok. have you set up for the 3000 mile and check the headlights..thats was it. i asked about the install of the cb. I was told that there was no mention of it in the computer and the mechanic was booked all day on other service.
    Now this is my second time to go to this dealership for service. It is the 2nd time my appt has been screwed up. The first time someone deleted me from the list of service that day. I was able to get in thank goodness.
    I told the service guy i was was not happy about the lack of info. put into the computer, that it is not my fault the info. was not entered after I told them what I needed done. He said he would see what he could do. He had me sign that the cost would be $900. This included charges for checking the headlights/fog lights in case BRP denies covering the lights even tho it is covered by warranty. Another not happy thing.
    At 11am, a manager came over to me and asked for the cb unit. I told him what had taken place for me to order the cb. He left and came back a few min. later and saif there is no record of me placing an order for the cb and they had no record of me paying for it. I is not happy !!!
    I called my bank and get the date and tracking number and give it to the manager. he leaves and comes back 30 min. later. He found the payment but no order in the sytem. I told him I even got a call that the cb was in. he said they dont do that. i said that is why I waited to make an appt. ..to make sure the cb was here. He left. A few min. later he came back and said he was sending an employee to another dealership to get a cb for me.
    At 1:15 I walked down the street to get a bite to eat. I got a call from the manager asking me to come back that they had a major problem.
    The problem was that the 2014 cb has 2 updates that require 2 small wires. The box my cb came in, had the numbers for the 2014 cb. when they opened it, there was only 1 wire. Luck had it that the manager had a 2014 cb that didnt work in a box and it had the wire I needed
    At 5:45 I was told the bike was ready. The mechanic came out to talk to me about all he did. He never mentioned checking the fog lights. I asked him about it and he said the service writer did not make any mention of it on the repair order.
    Now i am so upset and pissed of. I told the mechanic thanks knowing it was not his fault. So now i have to make another trip 1 1/2 hrs to get a problem fixed
    Your heading says it all. Must be a big and busy dealership for all the bs between parts and service and management to royally screw things up. If possible, I would be looking for another dealer. It seems no department knows what the other department is doing. I would be less than pleased, and they would know about it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I forgot. They only charged me $500 for the service

Spyder Garage

Ouch!!!!

Spyder Garage

I'm constantly amazed at the number of sub-par Cam am dealers out there. I'm one of the lucky ones with an awesome dealer about 60 miles away, but I do drive past another Cam am dealer on the way to this one.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd get the owner on the phone...
    ...and read him the riot act!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That really was a terrible experience and I feel for you. I wonder if getting the name of the person you speak to and the time would help to jog peoples memories if this happens again. Also sounds like the service manager could use a customer service tune up.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Spyder Garage

Default Enough is enough.....

Dave,

I feel for you. I too have been down the same path with them. On everything you mentioned, (plus misquoting prices and trying to rip you after the fact)...something I will not, and have not, stood for. Enough said about that.

Have never dinged them because their spyder tech is a really great guy and gives his all. Even tho he's surrounded by incompetence. I've tried to be as tolerant as possible and do their thinking for them. (like making sure they have everything that will be needed for whatever job - including paying for warrantied parts so they have them in place. To avoid multiple trips and related costs - for a simple warranty repair).

Sad thing is. Where ya going to go? Of the three other dealers within a 75 mile radius. Reports are, they are worse!

Perhaps it's time for you, me, and anyone else that's local - reads this -and uses them. To go have a set down with the owner. Perhaps that would turn things around. Perhaps? I'm game...if you are?

Sorry buddy....and folks here probably think I'm not tolerant. The cats out of the bag now
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 04-04-2014 at 06:40 PM.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

You have every right to vent!
    Hopefully you can find another dealership that can treat you a little better.
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

I would have said "No Thank you" when they asked for money up front for the CB.

You shouldn't pay until the job is complete.

Good luck in finding another dealer.
    2014 Cognac Spyder RT-S SM6, purchased July 8, 2015
    Rivco Flag Holders
    Eduo Innovations SRT Clear/Stainless Cup Holder
    Lamonster Spyder Decals
    Inspector Gadget Driver Floorboards and Heel-Toe Shifter
    Sena SPH10H-FM Headset for Half-Helmet
    Hopnel 1500 Front Trunk Liner
    BRP Trailer Hitch and Control Module
    2014 Escape Trailer (Black and Diamond) from 1 Motorcycle Trailers

2012 Magnesium Spyder RT SM5, sold on July 8, 2015

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Dave,

I feel for you. I too have been down the same path with them. On everything you mentioned, (plus misquoting prices and trying to rip you after the fact)...something I will not, and have not, stood for. Enough said about that.

Have never dingned them because their spyder tech is a really great guy and gives his all. Even tho he's surrounded by incompetence. I've tried to be as tolerant as possible and do their thinking for them. (like making sure they have everything that will be needed for whatever job - including paying for warrantied parts so they have them in place. To avoid multiple trips and related costs - for a simple warranty repair).

Sad thing is. Where ya going to go? Of the three other dealers within a 75 mile radius. Reports are, they are worse!

Perhaps it's time for you, me, and anyone else that's local - reads this -and uses them. To go have a set down with the owner. Perhaps that would turn things around. Perhaps? I'm game...if you are?

Sorry buddy....and folks here probably think I'm not tolerant. The cats out of the bag now
    You know, your idea to have a group go and have a sit down with the owner, seems like a pretty good idea to me. The dealer needs some input, and they need to work on their communication problems.

Let us know what happens.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Wow that's a lot of negatives in one visit, hopefully they get it together for the next visit or maybe a different dealer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Dave,

Have never dingned them because their spyder tech is a really great guy and gives his all. Even tho he's surrounded by incompetence. I've tried to be as tolerant as possible and do their thinking for them. (like making sure they have everything that will be needed for whatever job - including paying for warrantied parts so they have them in place. To avoid multiple trips and related costs - for a simple warranty repair).

my guess is the owner would do this and appreciate your concerns! (I know as a business owner, I would)

Spyder Garage

So many of us have been down this road . . . there are great dealers out there, and there are dealers in the business of selling Spyders and doing everything they can to never see you again . . . BRP needs to realize the damage a really bad dealer does to their reputation, and cut their ties with some of these folks. I don't know how far you have to travel to another dealer, but I am riding for hours to stay away from one that is 45 minutes from my home. I'll never go back there . . .

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Have you ever heard of the "Three Stooges"? Sounds like they are running this dealership. If the owner is accessible it's time for a chat. Piss poor way of running a dealership. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about all of your problems. I would defiantly have a talk with the owner of this dealership and if he doesn't make things right then I would seriously complain to BRP and find another dealer.
    ** Loving my 5th Can-Am Spyder since 2007! **

Spyder Garage

I definitely feel that I am one of the lucky Spyder Owners who deals with a great dealership, Stamford Motorsports in Stamford, CT. Chris Vento, the owner, is also the service manager. They have NEVER asked me to pay up front for any parts covered by the warranty. One big ticket item last summer was the mounting cradle for the Garmin GPS, about which the tech told me it was the worst installation he had ever seen from the factory. They recently had the Spyder for 17 days (too cold and snowy to ryde anyway) in order to deal with an ongoing beef with BRP, do the 2013-9 upgrades, and to install a SmoothSpyder belt tensioner. Chris called me on a Wednesday afternoon to tell me that the Spyder was ready, but he wanted to keep it until Saturday so that the technician who worked on the bike could put some miles on it to make sure all was well, which was fine with me. Went down on Saturday, the tech explained everything that he did - took about 20 minutes. Then Chris came by and I asked him what I owed him. His response was, "I'm still dealing with BRP to try & get them to pay for everything, so go ahead and take the bike. I know that you will settle up with me for whatever - if anything - BRP does not reimburse us for". That was two weeks ago,and he is still wrestling with BRP, and still won't let me pay for anything until all is setteled. Now THAT is what I call great customer service!! Any Connecticut riders out there should seriously consider making them their dealer of choice.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool Better find

Sounds like the left hand does not communicate with the right hand. Screw ups happen but should not be that often. Sounds like a rinky dinky dealer to me

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave92253 View Post
    We have 1 those Can Am dealers here in Vermont, so I know what you mean.
    I made several trips with my to get my issues fixed ( I bought a 2012 RTS-SE5 ) the work that was done to the spyder was ALL Warranty work. I gave the dealer my 2cents worth ( I told the dealer "The price I paid for the spyder it should BE FLAWLESS. Deanna777
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

where is the dislike button

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

do a little research find out who is the person running the dealership. I can guarantee one of two things will happen if you chat with right person (that may or may not be the owner) the discussion will get you some satisfaction and change with future endeavors or you may find out the problem is from the top on down...........yikes.

I am a real arse when I am treated that way and I usually take a walk gather myself then rip them new one-stop-back over them and rip them another new one........ If they react in manner that meets my satisfaction I will still do business with them......or I would travel 5 hours for a new dealer.

Spyder Garage

Dang sounds as bad as what I went through near Oklahoma City but I was talking to the owner of the place an basically he told me cense I didn't buy it there it goes to the back of the line an needles to say I picked it up 2 weeks later (an they were not busy an never even looked at it. Quote from the tech) an got it fixed the next day in Tulsa. Now I just drive 4.5 Hrs to get any work done. Peace of mind cost more an takes longer but is worth it.
    2012 RT Limited. Flag graphics, Lower vader wings LEDs, Lower day runner LEDs, Uper turn signal LEDs, Tip LEDs, Finder strip LEDs, Mud flap running an turn LEDs, Inside morrirs turn LEDs, 3-4 brake LEDs, Blue LEDs top under dash, Cup hollders, Large foot rest, HWY foot rest, K&N air flter, GloRyders with remote, Elka shocks 1+R, Soomthspyder, GoPro Hero3, BRP hitch, Diamond shadow trailer.

Spyder Garage

Got that "T" shirt too... The closest dealer to me, will never sell me a free hot dog... the only other dealer, while truly terrific, is 65 miles away. Obviously, many on the forum don't think that's a problem, however, I still work, and can't afford to lose a day for a toy - especially with the risk of not having a needed part, after having ridden the bike there...

For me, the solution was to move to another brand, with better/closer service options.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member