Thread: On The Hunt

Spyder Garage

Default On The Hunt

I have begun my transition from 2 to 3 wheels; recently selling my Triumph. I’m now researching which model Spyder I would like with the 2017/2018/2019 F3 limited and 2020 RT being my targets based on visual appeal. Test rides will commence once my new hip is ready to go.

Question- are there any most do mods/suspect OEM part(s) that need to be swapped out at time of purchase?

Spyder Garage

I am so confused with people wanted to modify their rides before they even ride one. I too have swapped from rideing 2 wheels (50 years on 2 wheels ) to a 2009 GS but I rode it for many months before I thought about any changes
    2009 GS SE5 , Red (Ferrari Red :) )

Spyder Garage

Theres a big difference in riding position between F3 and RT.The RT is better for 2 up long distance cruising IMO.You need to demo both and see which one feels better to you and your knee.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Short answer is, no. As others have mentioned here in the past, learn to ride 3 wheels first and then go for the mods. It'll likely be more fun that way and save you money in the long run. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Spyder Garage

I agree with Haikanko, forget about mods until you learn to ride a three wheeler. Test ride every model you are interested in before you make a half a decision, remembering of course that you are trying to make a decision and have no experience with the Spyder line of vehicles and it will probably take you at least 1,000 miles to get really comfortable on whatever model you select. Do yourself a big favor and read the sticky note on the Do's and Don'ts before you even take a test ride.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome, welcome 👍

Welcome to the spyder world (soon) and to this most informative site. First off heal well from the new hip and then head to your dealer and test them out. All F3's are alike probably get better deals on the earlier years on your list. The RT is a different seating more like your Triumph but we don't know that much about the 2020 as it is not out all over yet. Have fun with the search and see you on the road soon.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Try to find a place you could rent one for a weekend or day, try both, RT, F3!! One you sit up on, one you sit into, and your hip will tell you if that feels good to you!!!! Good Luck get healed up and test drive them!! Then if you buy,like a lot of people have said drive it a while then see if you need aftermarket stuff! There's all kinds of stuff out there to make things better, but until you ride it you will not know if you need it! Hopfully you'll have a good dealer and they will help you set it up for you and get you started off on the right foot. If you run into a snag, give us a shout we will have all the ideas you can stand! Good luck!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Thanks; thinking in terms of underside protection etc when talking mods.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AVBIZ View Post
    Thanks; thinking in terms of underside protection etc when talking mods.
    Bump skid is a big yes in my book! Lighted that's up to your style! We have some great sponsors on the web site!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Thanks! I saw some threads on those and thought that might be something to consider before the Spyder leaves the dealer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Try to find a place you could rent one for a weekend or day, try both, RT, F3!! One you sit up on, one you sit into, and your hip will tell you if that feels good to you!!!! Good Luck get healed up and test drive them!! Then if you buy,like a lot of people have said drive it a while then see if you need aftermarket stuff! There's all kinds of stuff out there to make things better, but until you ride it you will not know if you need it! Hopfully you'll have a good dealer and they will help you set it up for you and get you started off on the right foot. If you run into a snag, give us a shout we will have all the ideas you can stand! Good luck!!
    Great Idea about renting; I think will take advantage of that option

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Bump skid is a big yes in my book! Lighted that's up to your style! We have some great sponsors on the web site!!!
    I agree on the bump skid no matter which Spyder you decide on. Lighted.... maybe not. Depends on the roads you ride/how aggressive you are. I took out the lights on my lighted bumpskid on a cattleguard very early on and have also had a few other "incidents" where I could hear the front of the bumpdskid getting hit. Lighted bumpskids are not for me.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White