Spyder Garage

Default Greetings from IL new Ryker Owner

Greetings! I have been trolling around here for a while now before purchasing my first Can-Am product, specifically one with three wheels. I thank all who post here along with the countless youtube videos I have watched (One of my Fav is the one from FortNine a Canadian YouTuber).
    I have a 2015 Harley Ultra Limited that I bought new and now has 40K miles. My nephew and I have taken lots of high mileage trips over the years and I was looking for something a little different to ride arround town. I looked at many different bikes including the BMW GS's Honda Africa Twin, Etc..
    I could not find anything I liked with low miles and for the price, I wanted to pay for a "second" toy. I kept coming back to the Ryker. I knew I didn't want to give up my Harley so trading was not in play. And I had a budget (Price/Tax/License, etc) I wanted to stay within.

I shopped around to find that most dealers see these over MSRP. I (by accident) discovered a dealer about 100 miles from me that was selling Rykers at MSRP and $250 off if you financed through them. Hoping for the .99% CanAm was offering, I set out to make the purchase. On the days before I was to go make the deal, I was informed that the .99% deal with Can-Am expired on Jul 31, 2021.

To make a long story short they found me a rate with another bank I could live with AND took another $400 off my price to make up for the rate loss.

I put $1500 down and I was out the door and on the road for $11,000.00 for a 2021 Ryker Rally!

With it, I bought an Adventure windscreen and another set of side panels to change it up once in a while. (A set of black and a set of yellow)

My first mod was a set of dual horns to replace the "scooter" horn, and tonight I installed LED Headlights.

I have a set of BajaRon's swaybar links on order.

Next, I am going to get some sort of throttle lock and a parking brake lock.

I am going to need some sort of tour pack as I am not digging the backpack to transport things back and forth to work.

Thanks for listening to me digress! Thanks for all in the forums (can't list them all) who helped me make the decision to make this purchase.
    2021 Rally , Black

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default New Spyder Owner

Welcome to the Spyder Forum.

Seems like you have most things in order.
    I have a Spyder RTL, have rided a Rally 900.
    It was good ryde time and fun.

Have a Blessed Day. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Welcome! Hide your wallet.
    2021 , generic

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Welcome, sounds like you got a pretty good deal. I too kept one of my two wheelers, just not ready to give them up. The Ryker is a fun alternative to have when needed, and a very different experience, which makes it all the better.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Spyder Garage

David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    Greetings!
    Next, I am going to get some sort of throttle lock and a parking brake lock.
    For what it's worth, I have the Atlas Throttle Lock. Unlike the cruise control on your car which is electronic and will automatically adjust the throttle to maintain your selected speed, the Atlas Throttle Lock will only lock the throttle in a preset position.

And when I say it “locks” the throttle, it actually only holds the throttle in position. It does this by forcing a small plastic wedge up against the throttle control assembly (that's what I call it) right next to the throttle.

So to use it, accelerate to your desired speed and press the lock button. The plastic wedge is forced up against the throttle control assembly and holds the throttle in that position. To disengage it, simply press the unlock button. A word of caution here. Due to the excellent engine breaking of the Ryker, you will want to have your hand firmly on the throttle before releasing it to avoid the sudden slow down of the bike.

As I stated earlier, because the Atlas Throttle Lock is manual and not electronic, you will need to make what I call micro adjustments to the throttle. On a flat level road, it will hold your speed pretty consistent. But if there is a rise in the road, your speed will begin to drop. The steeper the rise, the greater you speed will decrease. You will need to roll on the throttle to get back to your original speed.

If there is a decline in the road, your speed will increase and you will need to roll off the throttle. On most road surfaces the speed difference will only be + or – a few miles per hour. That for me is no big deal.

It works for me. It does what I need it to do when I need it to do it. It lets me get my hand off the throttle, flex the fingers, relieve some of the numbness and even rotate the shoulder a little to relive some tension. It does come with a price tag however.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

and

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    For what it's worth, I have the Atlas Throttle Lock. Unlike the cruise control on your car which is electronic and will automatically adjust the throttle to maintain your selected speed, the Atlas Throttle Lock will only lock the throttle in a preset position.

And when I say it “locks” the throttle, it actually only holds the throttle in position. It does this by forcing a small plastic wedge up against the throttle control assembly (that's what I call it) right next to the throttle.

So to use it, accelerate to your desired speed and press the lock button. The plastic wedge is forced up against the throttle control assembly and holds the throttle in that position. To disengage it, simply press the unlock button. A word of caution here. Due to the excellent engine breaking of the Ryker, you will want to have your hand firmly on the throttle before releasing it to avoid the sudden slow down of the bike.

As I stated earlier, because the Atlas Throttle Lock is manual and not electronic, you will need to make what I call micro adjustments to the throttle. On a flat level road, it will hold your speed pretty consistent. But if there is a rise in the road, your speed will begin to drop. The steeper the rise, the greater you speed will decrease. You will need to roll on the throttle to get back to your original speed.

If there is a decline in the road, your speed will increase and you will need to roll off the throttle. On most road surfaces the speed difference will only be + or – a few miles per hour. That for me is no big deal.

It works for me. It does what I need it to do when I need it to do it. It lets me get my hand off the throttle, flex the fingers, relieve some of the numbness and even rotate the shoulder a little to relive some tension. It does come with a price tag however.
    Thanks Greg! I appreciate the insight. I have Cruse control on my Harley, and I plan on using just a simple friction throttle lock or even make something of my own. I am going to get a throttle boss too that will help a lot.
    2021 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks Greg! I appreciate the insight. I have Cruse control on my Harley, and I plan on using just a simple friction throttle lock or even make something of my own. I am going to get a throttle boss too that will help a lot.
    Thats pretty much what I did. I had this EZ Cruise traditional motorcycle throttle lock laying around. I just added a 1/2" catch tab and it works as it should.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Spyder Garage

I just threw a tail bag onto my bikes maxmount until I sort things out. I wasn't digging the backpack either. I got a rig neilson or however you say it, expands if needed and has a rainfly. They sell them on amazon less than that places that cater to ryker owners. I use it for quick store runs too, milk, frozen stuff, lunch meat, cheese, all fits in the bag inside of my cold bag. Plus I have a rain jacket I keep in there.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Beginner View Post
    I just threw a tail bag onto my bikes maxmount until I sort things out. I wasn't digging the backpack either. I got a rig neilson or however you say it, expands if needed and has a rainfly. They sell them on amazon less than that places that cater to ryker owners. I use it for quick store runs too, milk, frozen stuff, lunch meat, cheese, all fits in the bag inside of my cold bag. Plus I have a rain jacket I keep in there.
    Got any photos?
    2021 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Here is the link to amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Nelson-CL-106...9470147&sr=8-1

Here is the link to revzilla: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...sku_id=1565687

Here is the link to sling mods: https://www.slingmods.com/canam-ryke...rigg?vehicle=4

No tools required to install. I could take a picture of it on my max mount in my dirty garage, but you would be better off watching the sling mods vid. About 30-40 dollars cheaper buying it on amazon, plus free shipping if you are a prime member. The top expands by opening a zipper, which is nice. The only downside for me is that i sit pretty far back in the seat while riding and the first couple of rides I felt the bag. I am getting used to it. Best part, in my mind, is that I can easily remove it when I want to go with another system and the bag will still be functional. Just make sure you get the biggest size - touring I think they call it.

Spyder Garage

ryker_001.jpg

This can haul all your groceries..lol

2020 600 ACE , Black/Red

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the Ryker community. You did get a great deal, I’m hiring you as my finance manager on my next purchase.

Spyder Garage

1074727C-4718-490F-9E1E-DADE1084365C.jpg

I went with the Nelson-Rigg Commuter series bag strapped to the max mount and then added the Slingmods adjustable rack mounted in the furthest back position. A side note regarding installation of the adjustable rack, directions indicate you need to remove (permanently) the fender (mud guard) that sits below the max mount, this is not required if you don’t want to. But, you’ll need to think outside the box regarding supporting the fender. I used a thick zip tie, can’t hardly see it and it seems to be rock solid and the zip tie is easily replaced if needed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KnurledNut View Post
    Welcome! Hide your wallet.
    Slingmods.com has a way of finding it lol!

Spyder Garage

Is it waterproof?
    2021 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

I scored a backrest and a Linq can-am bag from a fellow forum member, didn't know it at the time we made the deal on Facebook ;-) Not sure who he is here though.
    2021 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Is it waterproof?
    The one I put on my wife's Ryker is waterproof, it's been in torrential downpours with no leaking or water seepage.
    2020 600 ACE , Black/Red

Spyder Garage

I don't know which one you are referring to, but the nelson rig tail bag has a rain fly. I used it yesterday (extended) leaving wal mart as it decided to rain. You know how it goes, check the weather 4 times - no rain. Get on bike and go to store, come out, rain. Anywho, the rain fly worked. I had super valuable stuff inside and it stayed dry for 30 minutes in the rain. 2 boxes of Grape nuts cereal (Love that stuff), contact solution, sugar, dunkin donuts k cups, q tips, some health food (Oreos) ..you know super important stuff I just had to go to the store for.

If I take my pickup to walmart it costs me about 18 in gas round trip. Bike is a little cheaper and good for small runs, and fun on the winding roads. About 28 miles each way, I live in the sticks.