Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Riding in the Rain

Today I was caught in the rain and rode 85 miles in the wet stuff. Couple of clear spaces maybe 5 miles but otherwise, rain, some heavy some light. I had rain gear but despite paying good money for, most likely, close to the best, I got wet. I know I need water proof gloves but which at a reasonable price. My full face helmet needed the visor closed otherwise I got a mouth full of wet, but the face shield fogs when closed. My windscreen was full up. I got water down the neck and for some weird reason, the cushiony straps of the helmet got soaked. Not pleasant. If you have suggestions, I would appreciate them and perhaps help other stay dry. Yesterday I was in Spanish Fort, AL and it was 97. Some 30 degree change from one day to the next. Not totally prepared. If you have suggestions, I would appreciate them and perhaps help others stay dry. Yes, Winter is really close.

Spyder Garage

For cheap waterproof gloves, I use XXL yellow kitchen gloves pulled over my thin leather gloves and slid up over the cuffs of my rain jacket. You didn't mention boots, but I use cheap pull over stretchy rubber boots from Tractor Supply. They pull over my riding boots and fasten with one big rubber button. Be sure to pull the rain pants down over the top of the boots and you'll have dry hands and feet. Can't help you with the helmet problem as I wear a half- helmet and just expect to get wet!

Spyder Garage

I have the Nelson Riggins two piece rain suit and i stayed dry. I eventually did get wet from sweating however. Personally I'm okay with hands getting wet because once again no airflow I'm sweating in gloves. I started wearing 511 tactical waterproof boots and have never got wet feet. If you dont already have one strongly suggest a rear tire mud flap. You would be surprised the amount of water that rear tire throws up. In the big heavy down pour your better off just pulling over somewhere and staying dry nothing much else is gonna work.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ricford View Post
    I had rain gear but despite paying good money for, most likely, close to the best, I got wet. I know I need water proof gloves but which at a reasonable price. I got water down the neck and for some weird reason, the cushiony straps of the helmet got soaked.
    Well designed rain gear, worn properly, will keep you dry, including the back of your neck and your hands and feet. The jacket should have a hood that fits up inside your helmet. There should be PVC covers for your hands and boots. I don't know what it was you were wearing but apparently it's not doing the job. But that doesn't mean the proper gear won't.

BTW, the water down the back of your neck is from the backdraft caused by the windshield, not from the rear tire...at least not on an RT.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I wear a hooded Firstgear Hi-Vis rain jacket and pants and rode for 4+ hrs in absolutely pouring down rain this past July and stayed perfectly dry. From my long distance bicycling kit I carry my Sealskinz gloves that are wet suit-type material, https://www.sealskinzusa.com/custome...SAAEgKXsPD_BwE.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I wear these to keep my gloves dry, https://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-...it-covers.html
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Try lowering your windshield. If your helmet came with a Pinlock insert, use it, that will do a lot to eliminate fogging. The straps on my helmet get wet also and I haven’t found a way to stop that but as long as water doesn’t drip down my neck Im okay.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Bib type rain pants work better than straight waist pants. There are rain covers for most good quality gloves. For winter gloves use ski gloves or snowmobile gloves. They are water proof without an added cover. Gloves must have long gauntlets that cover 8 to 10 inches of the rain jacket to keep water out of the sleeves. You can get waterproof leather boots. Keep plenty of Mink Oil leather conditioner on the boots to keep them waterproof. In winter wear wool sweaters and long johns as a layer. Even if wool gets wet it will still keep you warm. Heavy wool socks are good for winter. Wrap bandanas or scarves around your neck to keep water from going on down inside the rain jacket. An open-face helmet with a flat, dirtbike type wrap shield does not fog up as bad as a full face helmet, and it will keep the rain out too.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

To keep from getting water down your neck you need raingear with a hood. In a pinch, you can use plastic grocery bags to keep your hands dry. No pretty, but does the job. There are a number of ways to keep your hands dry.

One thing about rain gear. You have to put it on BEFORE you get wet. Once water gets on the inside of your rain gear, most will no longer keep the rain out.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

You can use bread bags over gloves, cheap and do not take up much room when not in use. I have an open face helmet with shield, does not fog up. I still look over windshield, this helps keep my shield clear.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Wife and I both have jackets with hoods and have a mud flap.No more water down my neck and mud on back of bike either.Matching pants come up high enuf so jacket overlaps enuf to keep water out.I hate clunky boots so I got motorcycle specific hi top sneakers that are water resistant only.I wear slip over booties over the sneaks which work perfect and you cant hardly tell your wearing anything so working the brake is easy.My pants have a zipper from the knee down which is very important to make it easier putting them on over shoes or boots.My stuff is mostly LL Bean and wifes is Frog Tog and no insulation so everything folds up into a tiny bag which saves space.I haven't really solved the glove thing yet,still thinking about the best solution.I really dont like gloves at all.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I tried a thinner and thicker version of the Frogg Toggs. The thinner pair lasted for about 5-6 outings and then they started to leak in the seat of the pants. The thicker and more expensive ones actually leaked on my first outing. The top parts stayed dry, but the pants did nothing for the rain. I always wear my hood up and that keeps the water from going down my neck. Now I am going to try a combination of frogg togg upper jacket, and the plain old cheap rubber pants from my Walmart rain suit. I tend to sweat in the rubber suit, but I did stay dry from the rain. As for the fogging shield, there is anti fog spray that you can use on your shield. It takes a couple of uses for it to work well, but it does a great job. I use it to clean my shield a couple of times in between normal cleanings and it does great.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I wear a hooded Firstgear Hi-Vis rain jacket and pants and rode for 4+ hrs in absolutely pouring down rain this past July and stayed perfectly dry. From my long distance bicycling kit I carry my Sealskinz gloves that are wet suit-type material, https://www.sealskinzusa.com/custome...SAAEgKXsPD_BwE.
    Thanks for the link! I had a pair of Sealskinz scuba gloves but they were stolen and I wasn't able to find them here in the States. Thanks again!!
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderConvert View Post
    Thanks for the link! I had a pair of Sealskinz scuba gloves but they were stolen and I wasn't able to find them here in the States. Thanks again!!
    I have a pair that I bought at Walmart …..( $13.00 ? ) I've used them at 50*, and although they don't stay dry, they still keep your hands warm …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Can am rain jacket and Klim rain pants

Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I have a pair that I bought at Walmart …..( $13.00 ? ) I've used them at 50*, and although they don't stay dry, they still keep your hands warm …… Mike
    Mike, the pair that I had cost somewhere in the $50 range. I demonstrated them to a couple of friends at a BBQ once by immersing my hand in a bucket of ice water for 5 minutes (it was a slow day!). When I took my hand out of the bucket and took the glove off, my hand was still warm and dry. I swear by those gloves!
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderConvert View Post
    Mike, the pair that I had cost somewhere in the $50 range. I demonstrated them to a couple of friends at a BBQ once by immersing my hand in a bucket of ice water for 5 minutes (it was a slow day!). When I took my hand out of the bucket and took the glove off, my hand was still warm and dry. I swear by those gloves!
    SC, when I bought mine ( 5-6 yrs ago ) Walmart had a few different brands, at various prices. Since I didn't know if they would work at all I bought the least expensive ones … The cheapest worked to my satisfaction …. and I still have them, but only used occasionally …. I'm glad you have ones that keep your hands dry also …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Hi, not sure about your other gear but for dry hands when caught in the rain I use regular household rubber gloves. I have a set that I pull on over my riding gloves and then rain jacket down over them. My hands stay dry and if cold out I put on fleece lined gloves with rubber ones over.
    Down side I'd they come in limited bright colours lol. I went to store with my riding gloves so I got right size to fit over. Works way better than the $100.00 all weather gloves I had, sold them.
    PS..I live on Vancouver Island, very west coast Canada in rain forest.

Quote Originally Posted by ricford View Post
    Today I was caught in the rain and rode 85 miles in the wet stuff. Couple of clear spaces maybe 5 miles but otherwise, rain, some heavy some light. I had rain gear but despite paying good money for, most likely, close to the best, I got wet. I know I need water proof gloves but which at a reasonable price. My full face helmet needed the visor closed otherwise I got a mouth full of wet, but the face shield fogs when closed. My windscreen was full up. I got water down the neck and for some weird reason, the cushiony straps of the helmet got soaked. Not pleasant. If you have suggestions, I would appreciate them and perhaps help other stay dry. Yesterday I was in Spanish Fort, AL and it was 97. Some 30 degree change from one day to the next. Not totally prepared. If you have suggestions, I would appreciate them and perhaps help others stay dry. Yes, Winter is really close.
    2020 RTL - Petrol Blue Metalic / Black, dark model.
    Colour match rear tail cover, Garmin GPS.
    Heated Ultra Comfort driver seat & backrest.
    LED headlamps, LED Front corner lamps and lower front LED lamp.
    Baja Ron sway bar.
    Ride Til You Rot!

Spyder Garage

I do the same as RTL1330, although in Canada I found that Dollarama (our version of Dollar General) has black rubber gloves that fit over thin car driving gloves that cost about 1.50 a pair and work amazingly well!

You can't get there from here....

Mods and Tweaks:
    Showcrome Trunk Rack
    Showcrome LED Trunk Light
    Garmin 390LM
    Spyderzone Floating Hiway Boards
    Spyderzone Mount Dash Bracket
    BajaRon Antisway Bar
    Showcrome full-size brake pedal
    Spyder-2-Go Driver Cup holder
    Ram X phone mount
    SpyderExtras 12 volt Docking Station
    BRP Driver Backrest
    Monster 4K Action Camera
    Spyderzone LED Fender Mount Spotlights
    CASA LED Headlights and Foglights
    2018 RT Limited , Ashphalt Metallic

Spyder Garage

Gloves - Aerostich has Triple-digit raincovers for whatever gloves you want to wear underneath. They are waterPROOF, plus the gauntlets reach nearly to your elbow. Always carry them in the pocket of riding jacket. Just ih case.
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jnt View Post
    Gloves - Aerostich has Triple-digit raincovers for whatever gloves you want to wear underneath. They are waterPROOF, plus the gauntlets reach nearly to your elbow. Always carry them in the pocket of riding jacket. Just ih case.
    What does triple digit mean? 3 fingered?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    What does triple digit mean? 3 fingered?
    That's simply what they're called.
    But yes, they do have 3 fingers.

Spyder Garage

Rain? I try to avoid the stuff myself. With my eyes looking through my helmet shield, my windshield and my trifogles all of which have water on them I usually park it if I can. I do this to have fun not out to prove anything.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
    That's simply what they're called.
    But yes, they do have 3 fingers.
    Well, I'll be darned. Lookee there https://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-...it-covers.html
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Research motorcycle gear sites for rain gear. Determine what's best for you, your riding style and budget. They'll have user reviews to read and help assess the gear for fit, reliability, function and quality.
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue