Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Replacing my front tyres.

Hi all, I have a 2015 rt that needs new front tyres. The oem Kendas had a good run for 28,000 miles so I've been reading here about a lot of you putting automotive tyres on the front. (I have a Kuhmo Ecsta on the rear, so far so good) Based on what many people have said here, I purchased 2 Federal Formosas in the 165/55R15 size. They arrived today and now I'm kinda freaking out because even though it's the same size as the Kendas, they look wider. So my questions are, did I make a mistake in buying this size? Is this the correct size? I read some people use 155/60s.

Thank you all for your help.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HippieSpyderChick View Post
    Hi all, I have a 2015 rt that needs new front tyres. The oem Kendas had a good run for 28,000 miles so I've been reading here about a lot of you putting automotive tyres on the front. (I have a Kuhmo Ecsta on the rear, so far so good) Based on what many people have said here, I purchased 2 Federal Formosas in the 165/55R15 size. They arrived today and now I'm kinda freaking out because even though it's the same size as the Kendas, they look wider. So my questions are, did I make a mistake in buying this size? Is this the correct size? I read some people use 155/60s.

No. that size will work fine …. but I would have bought a different tire …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    No. that size will work fine …. but I would have bought a different tire …… Mike
    Mike.....����
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Federal Formosas in the 165/55R15 size will work perfect on your RT. Lots of people here, including myself, have them in that size and really like them! Your going to love the improvement over the stock Kendas!

Edited out the smack talk about Mike
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-14-2019 at 09:33 AM.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Michaelscs;1477790]Federal Formosas in the 165/55R15 size will work perfect on your RT. Lots of people here, including myself, have them in that size and really like them! Your going to love the improvement over the stock Kendas!

………….. and there are at least 25 members here who have bought the Quatrac 5 and really like them ….. and I agree there are other GOOD tires out there, and for some Good is OK, but for others they prefer the BEST tires..... Mike

Edited out the smack talk between Michaelscs and Mike.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-14-2019 at 09:34 AM.

Spyder Garage

Luv my Quatrac 5
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

I too have a 2015 RT and ride 2 up.....I when with the Federal Formoza AZ01 All- Season Radial Tire-165/55R15 75V from Amazon and had Costco installed the rubber. I am VERY happy with them. The best upgrade for your Spyder for under $150,00.

Spyder Garage

You did good. You'll be happy with that tire. Federal is not known as a top notch tire company, but for whatever reason(s) that tire works beautifully on Spyders.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

WHY can't I have an Opinion ????? ….. you obviously do !!!! ………….. and there are at least 25 members here who have bought the Quatrac 5 and really like them ….. and I agree there are other GOOD tires out there, and for some Good is OK, but for others they prefer the BEST tires..... Mike
    Mike, never said you couldn't have an opinion! Just trying to tell the OP not to be discouraged because you basically told them they bought the wrong brand.
    As far as the best tire, you base your opinion on the great review/rating Vredestein got on Tire Rack. Is that wrong? No, not at all. Does that make it the "best" tire? SpyderAnn might say(not to put words in her mouth) that Federal's are the best because she's literally put thousands and thousands of miles on them and she really likes them. jcthorne might say Yokohama's are the best because he uses and sells them to his customers and they're very happy with them. We all have opinions. Yours isn't necessarily the best!
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelscs View Post
    Mike, never said you couldn't have an opinion! Just trying to tell the OP not to be discouraged because you basically told them they bought the wrong brand.
    As far as the best tire, you base your opinion on the great review/rating Vredestein got on Tire Rack. Is that wrong? No, not at all. Does that make it the "best" tire? SpyderAnn might say(not to put words in her mouth) that Federal's are the best because she's literally put thousands and thousands of miles on them and she really likes them. jcthorne might say Yokohama's are the best because he uses and sells them to his customers and they're very happy with them. We all have opinions. Yours isn't necessarily the best!
    This will be my last comment on this …. You named two members who recommend them ….. I know the names of 25 members who recommend the Quatrac 5 …. ( but I'm too lazy to type them ) …… Peace - Love and ride safe ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

What would be interesting instead of opinions on each tire, (we all have them) would be back to back comparisons between the 3 well regarded contenders ON A SPYDER. I really have little use for opinions on Tire rack of any tire on grandma's buick that never had the other tires I am considering. I can say one reason we have stuck with the Yokos is while they are great tires, we also sell matching Yokos for the rear and I am not the only person that really prefers matching tire brands on a vehicle. And they are the only ones available that are made in the USA.

Still, would be interested in a back to back comparison of the 3 so a suggestion comes to mind......

I have a fairly new set of Yokos on my bike, perhaps we could get someone with a set of the Federals and someone with a set of the Quatrac to also show up at Spyders in the Hills. I can bring a torque limiting impact, a small jack and an air compressor. Each of the 3 of us could do some miles with each of the 3 types of tires and make notes. At the end we can all 3 compare notes on all 3 tire types and publish the opinions. We may all learn something. Any takers? Ideas or suggestions?

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

This will be my last comment on this …. You named two members who recommend them ….. I know the names of 25 members who recommend the Quatrac 5 …. ( but I'm too lazy to type them ) …… Peace - Love and ride safe ….. Mike
    Thats more like it Mike! Learning to tolerate others opinions is a start. I sense a very small willingness to give just a little. Now that's progress. After all opinions are like, you know what. Everybody has one.

Hope everyones day is going as good as mine!

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Thats more like it Mike! Learning to tolerate others opinions is a start. I sense a very small willingness to give just a little. Now that's progress. After all opinions are like, you know what. Everybody has one.

Jack
    Love is in the air!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Jack
    Thanks for that Jack ….. I have ALWAYS been receptive to others views …. UNLESS they got NASTY …. I was a cop for 37 years and didn't take any S*** then and refuse to take any NOW. …. This new Forum has mostly nice folks and They should be treated accordingly ….. Peace - Love and ride Safe ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

I will throw my hat into the ring for the Hankook Ventus V4 front tires in the 175/55/R15 size. I have 21,000 on mine and they look and handle like new. Another riding buddy has 41,000 miles on his and may get 50,000.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

I have them in that size. They fit perfectly.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Great Idea. I predict it will be hard to tell the difference in good tires for normal riding.
    Can Am 2013 RTL SE5

Spyder Garage

I definitely would not go wider than OEM. I bought new tires earlier this year to a Fredetein or however it is spelled, by several members here, and suggestions were to get the wider version. So I did. Tires aren't bad, maybe a little squirelly feeing, but the big problem is, with the wider tire, even though it doesn't hit the fender or extend outside the fender, it throws water up above the fender and ends up on you legs and shoes. I rode all the way from Michigan to South Dakota and back in rain, and sometimes heavy rain, and did not get wet with rain suit on. Once I got the wider tire, rain has found its way into my boots and half way up my knees, so I would strongly suggest to stay away from anything wider than the OEM.
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White
    2010 Can Am Spyder RT - Full Moon

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I ran the Federals for a few years until Wednesday and blew out the sidewall. Hit a pot hole or something. I was really happy with them. May not run 19 PSI anymore.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Tire Testing Time? ? ?

I think opinions and actual tests sometime confuses people. Why? Just Because. My 2.
    Maybe as already stated we can DO a Test.
    Spyder Forum People are the 'Best for the Test'.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveandBelinda View Post
    I definitely would not go wider than OEM. I bought new tires earlier this year to a Fredetein or however it is spelled, by several members here, and suggestions were to get the wider version. So I did. Tires aren't bad, maybe a little squirelly feeing, but the big problem is, with the wider tire, even though it doesn't hit the fender or extend outside the fender, it throws water up above the fender and ends up on you legs and shoes. I rode all the way from Michigan to South Dakota and back in rain, and sometimes heavy rain, and did not get wet with rain suit on. Once I got the wider tire, rain has found its way into my boots and half way up my knees, so I would strongly suggest to stay away from anything wider than the OEM.
    I believe the tire you are referring to is the VREDESTEIN Quatrac 5 ….. and what you saying makes little to no sense based on the " physical " difference between those two sizes …… 10mm is about 3/8in. wider ….. and you say that tire is now throwing a hugh amount of water, compared to what you had been using...… I haven't heard anyone ( here ) who has made this size switch make this complaint...… why do you think that might be..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    What would be interesting instead of opinions on each tire, (we all have them) would be back to back comparisons between the 3 well regarded contenders ON A SPYDER. I really have little use for opinions on Tire rack of any tire on grandma's buick that never had the other tires I am considering. I can say one reason we have stuck with the Yokos is while they are great tires, we also sell matching Yokos for the rear and I am not the only person that really prefers matching tire brands on a vehicle. And they are the only ones available that are made in the USA.

Still, would be interested in a back to back comparison of the 3 so a suggestion comes to mind......

I have a fairly new set of Yokos on my bike, perhaps we could get someone with a set of the Federals and someone with a set of the Quatrac to also show up at Spyders in the Hills. I can bring a torque limiting impact, a small jack and an air compressor. Each of the 3 of us could do some miles with each of the 3 types of tires and make notes. At the end we can all 3 compare notes on all 3 tire types and publish the opinions. We may all learn something. Any takers? Ideas or suggestions?
    I would absolutely like to see a real test on the top 3 or 4 tires, but being a data driven nerd I would only consider it a true test if it had wet and dry skidpad results with a known quality performance meter, also done on the same bike with multiple drivers (redundant results). Then you could quantify beyond opinion which one does what and when it does it. I still believe from personal experience that most anything is still better than the Kendas.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

I'm using the Federal Formosas in the 165/55R15 size and I love them.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Absolutely love my Vredestein Quatrac 5's!
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

What size in the Vredestein Quatrac's ? 165/60R15's or 175/55R15's ? The 165/60 looks good, being a touch taller for clearance..

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue