Very Active Member Martin Slovakia's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default CannonBall seat, is it worth to buy???

Before I bought them I was missing video review about these... so
    Finally after the bYke season and over 10.000km (6200miles) with the new seats I was able to shoot the
    Honest review of them
    So what you think?
    Do you ride with BRP seats or aftermarket seats.?

Spyder Garage

For the price of cannonball seats you can get a Russell Daylong seat. Which is a superior seat.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    For the price of cannonball seats you can get a Russell Daylong seat. Which is a superior seat.
    I have checked them. I dont know their prices but some of their seats really looks nice. Some of them are.. well... not my pot of tea ��

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Slovakia View Post
    I have checked them. I dont know their prices but some of their seats really looks nice. Some of them are.. well... not my pot of tea ��
    Hahaha.....yep, I can understand that, Martin.......
    Some of us don’t have a choice though. I tried the Stock, Cannonball and Coast to Coast seats on my F3-L, along with a Mustang, and none of them would give me more than 30 or so minutes comfort. My major reason for buying DayLong for any new bike I buy is that they guarantee building it to your size (2metres and 140kgs in my case), and riding position to give you all day comfort (mine is about 2” taller and 2” longer than stock).
    They have never failed me, and a single purchase is far preferable to me than trying and returning (or having to sell) several seats. Butt ugly (see what I did there?) but they certainly work. It’s great that the Cannonball works so well for you. Thanks for the review

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Hi Pete,
    i can understand your point very well as well.
    If there is such a problem as you have = comfort do last usually for about 30min, then it makes sense to go for these type of custom seats. Its a no brainer then.
    have a great rYding time.
    M.

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Hahaha.....yep, I can understand that, Martin.......
    Some of us don’t have a choice though. I tried the Stock, Cannonball and Coast to Coast seats on my F3-L, along with a Mustang, and none of them would give me more than 30 or so minutes comfort. My major reason for buying DayLong for any new bike I buy is that they guarantee building it to your size (2metres and 140kgs in my case), and riding position to give you all day comfort (mine is about 2” taller and 2” longer than stock).
    They have never failed me, and a single purchase is far preferable to me than trying and returning (or having to sell) several seats. Butt ugly (see what I did there?) but they certainly work. It’s great that the Cannonball works so well for you. Thanks for the review

Pete

Spyder Garage

My problem is, if you can't ride for more than 30 minutes without discomfort, how much fun is it? I started riding 40 years ago on a 1981 GL1100 and rode 11 hours from NJ to Maine without ever feeling uncomfortable. My next bike was a 1994 Kawasaki Voyager that I also rode for hours on end without the typical butt burn. Both on stock seats. I had a momentary loss of sanity and went with the bike of all bucket lists, a 2008 Harley Electraglide Ultra Classic, and couldn't sit on that thing for over an hour. And it was hot as hell, and expensive to own. Sold it and bought a 2013 Kawasaki Vulcan 900. Much cheaper to run, lighter and not as hot with water cooling. But still can't ride for over an hour. Replaced the seat with a Mustang, but didn't improve the butt burn issue. The only 2 differences I can point out between the first 2 bikes and the last 2 are that the first 2 were touring bikes and the last 2 are cruiser style. Different seating position, putting too much body weight on my tail with legs splayed out it front on the cruisers. Other big difference is I was much younger and a little lighter 30 years ago than I am now. I've been thinking about the RT Limited for my next bike, but not sure I want to spend that much money and find out that I still can't ride for over an hour at a time. Is it my age/weight that is causing the problem, or the riding style of the bike? Any opinions?

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the review Martin. I am also one who cannot stand the OEM seats on Spyders. I have replaced five out of five seats. Two got Corbins and the other three got BRP "Comfort" seats.

I am once again on the hunt, it will be F3 or RT. The Cannonball is a consideration for the F3. I like the 10KM test and still happy with it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bdq2rc3 View Post
    I've been thinking about the RT Limited for my next bike, but not sure I want to spend that much money and find out that I still can't ride for over an hour at a time. Is it my age/weight that is causing the problem, or the riding style of the bike? Any opinions?
    bdq, there is a guaranteed solution to ensure that you get long term comfort out of an aftermarket seat for any brand/model of bike, as long as you are prepared to outlay say $1000- $1500 and don’t mind if the seat looks a little nerdy.

The Russell Day Long company GUARANTEES a seat that will give you day long comfort, and as someone who has spent a small fortune over the years replacing OEM seats, I can say that they definitely achieve that. I have tried Mustangs, Saddlemen, Ultimate, gel inserts, sheepskin covers, local custom fitters and many others, and while they have given me a little longer than stock, none have given me more than around 45 minutes before squirming sets in. Russell make the seat from your stock seat which you send them (or, like me, you can buy a second hand seat in poor condition and send that to them if you want to keep your stock seat and keep riding). You send them photos of you sitting on your bike, and any preferences you have, like extra legroom, bad hips etc), and they tailor the seat to your seating position and build. They have only got it wrong once for me, and I sent it back and they modified it for me and it has been perfect since (3 years).

It is all about the springing they use, ensuring your hips are above the knees, the butt ugly wings to support the outside of your thighs a bit like your car seat, etc. My seat is about 2” taller and 2” further back, and they somehow managed to leave the same amount of room for my passenger. I had mine made with a Sunbrella fabric, which is waterproof, fadeproof and cool in the sun.

I know this sounds like an ad for DayLong, but they deliver. It is well worth getting on the website and having a look at them, along with the photo gallery of Spyders that they have already done.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Thank you for the review Martin. I am also one who cannot stand the OEM seats on Spyders. I have replaced five out of five seats. Two got Corbins and the other three got BRP "Comfort" seats.

I am once again on the hunt, it will be F3 or RT. The Cannonball is a consideration for the F3. I like the 10KM test and still happy with it.
    Honestly i think it will get worse with BRP... because of the strategy they find out its working. They are focusing way to much on addons. Look on new RT, its all about buying this and that. I dont have to mention RYKER. With old RT, when you went with Ltd, you was barely able to buy anything extra coz it had everything on it...

Spyder Garage

As Martin said in his video, the Cannonball front seat, eh - not much difference than his OEM F3 seat - but the passenger seat is where the difference is.

When comparing the 2018-2019 F3 base and F3T seats to the seat that came standard on the F3 Limited, I noticed a huge difference in the passenger seat. The F3 Limited passenger seat appears to be almost identical to the Cannonball design. Can't speak for the front seat, but my 2019 F3 Limited seat has never been uncomfortable for me. I've been in the saddle for 4 hours at a time with a 5 minute rest stop about half way and was not sore (I'm 6'2", 225 lbs). I used my Airhawk one time only and went back to riding without it. Maybe the upgraded seat is an overlooked benefit of buying the Limited. It will be interesting to see the same comparison for the 2020 F3's.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Update: I did go ahead and purchased the Cannonball seat for my F3L. I am very happy with it. More plush feeling and I can now go more than 50 miles without my rear protesting. I have done 125 so far on the Cannonball and no issues. Longer rides to come.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

we tried a custom made corbin and I thought it was to hard,did the research and bought the cannonball,and we love this seat,5:11.160 lbs,32 inseam,on the f3 a great seat so far

Spyder Garage

Russell day long901.jpg900.jpg
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400