Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wahrsuul View Post
    Unless you know the dealer/po changed it before you got it, I'd change it as soon as possible.
    Why would you say if the dealer changed it? It is brand new and oil will not break down that fast from not being used. As mentioned only 600kms so far. People are saying yearly. I bought it in end of Sept so what to go by is, change it out before end of season next yr. Oil subjects have always been a long debate I know been in a lot of them lol.Thanks

Spyder Garage

Mike T,

Here in Vermont, the temps are also trending lower at night( we have had a frost in higher elevations), and the daylight hours are also getting shorter( in Nov. we turn the clocks back an hour). This Sat my spyder goes in for its looooooooooooooooooooong winter nap/sleep. So the dealership will change the oil/filter, rings, etc. put it on a battery tender( which I supply) and do the fall prep.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    Deanna,
    I live south of you.The temps here are definitely trending downward, and the daylight is getting shorter. Can't imagine what it's like in Vermont. Got an appointment on Oct. 18th for my '15 RT Limited's "end of season" annual service, and oil change. This will be the last annual service for it under any type of warranty. My BEST warranty expires on April 2020., while it's in for it's winter nap.
    I've had zero mechanical issues with my Spyder. Needs a rear tire before next riding season(15,000+ miles).That's why I'm on the fence about looking at a 2020, even though my 70 year old hips are having a hard time with the seating position on my '15.
    Mike
    Mike T,
    I replied to your post on posts #27 & 28 on page # 2 on this thread.

Deanna
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-08-2019 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Got the pages & posts muddled - 'pages #27 & 28 on post #2' fixed. ;)

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

One thing that has occurred to me.... whether the oil has an infinite life in the crankcase, what about the filter? The typical oil filter is made of paper, cardboard, and glue... I wonder if the filters have a "use-by" once put into service?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie69 View Post
    Why would you say if the dealer changed it? It is brand new and oil will not break down that fast from not being used. As mentioned only 600kms so far. People are saying yearly. I bought it in end of Sept so what to go by is, change it out before end of season next yr. Oil subjects have always been a long debate I know been in a lot of them lol.Thanks
    Sorry, must have missed that part. I usually buy used so it just becomes one of the first things to do.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Leaving oil in over the winter is OK according to my oil analysis. See this thread. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...t=oil+analysis

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie69 View Post
    So I'm new to this, I picked up my new Spyder 2 weeks ago, I have a total of 600 kms so far on it. So should I change the oil before I park it for winter? I'm hoping to keep riding as long as I can but I live in Canada and winter can come over night lol
    No way would I dump out oil with that low of miles. As stated earlier, that oil (and filter) will be perfectly fine come spring. Just make your last ride is one that will fully heat up your oil. I'm curious to see if anyone has had a catastrophic engine failure due to oil, other than not having enough in the motor? Has anyone had warranty denials for having low mile oil in for over a year? Can-Am has to prove any oil related issues. Keep receipts of oil/filters and mileage records.
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If it were me I would change oil now
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jbim View Post
    Hello all,

I have a 2018 F3 LTD. I had an oil change at the end of the season last year at 5000 kms. I thought BRP recommended an oil change every year irrespective of the mileage. I currently have only 10000 kms on it at the moment. I contacted my dealer for an oil change and he said the next service is at 20000 kms only.

What do you make of this
    J

Spyder Garage

I bought a kit. I will change the oil myself when I store my F3 for the winter. I contacted BRP but the answer is too vague.
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Spyder Garage

February is my oil change month. 5,000 miles or so annually.
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

2015 Spyder F3 SE6, black
    BRP Driver/passenger Footboards
    BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest
    Blue Ridge Windshield
    MRA X-Creen Tour, clear, clamp-on
    H4 LED Headlights
    F3 LED Fog Light Kit, LED Amber Halo Ring Kit, LED Tail Lights, F3 Rear run/brake/turn LEDs
    Easy Brackets
    Leatherworks, Inc. 120 Special Slight Angle Saddlebags
    Custom Dynamics Front Mud Flap LED lights, Street Magic Front Fender Tips, Double Feature Lens
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil Change

I do an oil change every April because I usually get about 5000-6000 miles annually.....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue