Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil change 12 months, YES or NO

Hello all,

I have a 2018 F3 LTD. I had an oil change at the end of the season last year at 5000 kms. I thought BRP recommended an oil change every year irrespective of the mileage. I currently have only 10000 kms on it at the moment. I contacted my dealer for an oil change and he said the next service is at 20000 kms only.

What do you make of this?

Thanks

J
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Spyder Garage

Time to start changing your own oil and ignore the dealer?
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I change oil by mileage only. I ignore the yearly recommendation. I don't feel yearly changes are required.

Spyder Garage

I usually go by mileage as well, not time. But then this is the first vehicle I've owned with such a long change interval. I'll probably change mine yearly regardless od mileage just for my own peace of mind.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Lots of oil now is long life so mileage only.. That's what I do on the bike and cars we have
    2009 GS SE5 , Red (Ferrari Red :) )

Spyder Garage

I change my oil yearly. The dealer does it. I never put enough miles on it, 9300 for oil and filter changes. I get a full service every June. I usually have 5,000 miles on it. One year it was only 3,000. It never hurts to change old oil sooner than it needs to be. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

The extended oil change times and mileages also have a caveat.

My 2014 manual states if I do not exceed the recommended oil change mileage (9,300) to change it at least once a year. Many here do change it out more frequently. The dealer either did not want to be bothered with it, OR, does not know what the proper procedure is. Either way...I would suggest another dealer if possible.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jbim View Post
    Hello all,

I have a 2018 F3 LTD. I had an oil change at the end of the season last year at 5000 kms. I thought BRP recommended an oil change every year irrespective of the mileage. I currently have only 10000 kms on it at the moment. I contacted my dealer for an oil change and he said the next service is at 20000 kms only.

What do you make of this?

Thanks

J
    Manual says 9300 miles or annually. Be a darn shame to void the warranty because your dealer, like so many others, is ignorant of their product. My 2018 RTL is plagued by warranty issues, right now I'm suffering with the second bout of parking brake failure. Hope your's isn't in the defective batch!
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Page 109 of your operator's guide says every 15,000 km or 1 yr, whichever comes first. H0gr1der makes a very valid point about risking your warranty by not following the oil change instructions. Yes, the current generation of motor oils are much better at protecting engines against acids and corrosion than some of the old stuff we grew up with but, were I you, since you don't roll 15,000 km/year I would change or have the oil changed annually immediately before laying it up for the winter. Then you'll be ready to ryde the very first good day of the next year.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default opinions....

As long as you ryde it go with the mileage recommendation...though I don't go that long as I ryde hard and change at around 5,000 miles..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I can tell you first hand that when engines fail, BRP does ask for records of proper oil changes before approving the claim for a new engine.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I would go with miles or year which ever comes first!!! Oil and tires every one has there own twist if it feels good do it!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I haven't gone 9300 in a year--- usually between 6 and 7K. Thusly I change oil and do winter maintenance just before I put the up for the winter. Same with the old, slow V-Max. I NEVER let the vehicle ( heck even the snowblowers) sit idle for a season with old contaminated oil. Some folks think that it's ok to let your soft bearings and steel parts sit in acid contaminated oil that may be 4 or 6K miles old------NOT ME.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Once a year or every 15000 km for us Canadians which is 9300 miles.

2015 RT Limited

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil

, Oil the product has become better...… When it's " clean " it will last longer than what was, when sold 10 years ago …. But it's a fact that Oil also breaks down over time after it's been used and thus " contaminated "...… I do my own maintenance and it's costs me about $30.00 to do my oil & filter.... ( and it could be the same price for you w/ Rotella Full Syn oil )… I'm careful about my money, but to me this is a no brainer.....jmho …. Mike

Spyder Garage

My dealership changes the oil yearly, when my spyder is in hibernation( Oct. to April). It is easier for me.

I have a spyder with a "1330 ace engine" and 26,000 + miles on it.

I use full synthetic oil 4 T stroke Motorcycle oil.
    Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Agree!!!

Spyder Garage

I do mine just before putting it into storage for the winter every year regardless of how much I'm under the mileage threshold.
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

If you don't hit the stated mileage -- I would definitely change oil/filter out yearly as printed in the OM. Better to be safe than sorry when it comes to warranty.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Spyder Garage

I'll be changing mine this fall before storage. I'll have about 8k miles on it for the season by then. Once a year for me now with the 1330. I used to change the 998 more often.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

So I'm new to this, I picked up my new Spyder 2 weeks ago, I have a total of 600 kms so far on it. So should I change the oil before I park it for winter? I'm hoping to keep riding as long as I can but I live in Canada and winter can come over night lol

Spyder Garage

Yes, change it annually if you don't ride much! I just purchased mine with less than 1800 miles but is a 2013, just purchased oil, filters, coolant and brake fluid to change next week before I put into hibernation for the winter.

Spyder Garage

Cheap insurance - and isn't it listed in the maintenance schedule anyway?? Along the lines of scheduling an oil change annually, or at the indicated milage, whichever comes first? For the minimal cost & effort, why not? It's certainly gotta be cheaper than replacing an engine or gearbox...
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie69 View Post
    So I'm new to this, I picked up my new Spyder 2 weeks ago, I have a total of 600 kms so far on it. So should I change the oil before I park it for winter? I'm hoping to keep riding as long as I can but I live in Canada and winter can come over night lol
    Unless you know the dealer/po changed it before you got it, I'd change it as soon as possible.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    My dealership changes the oil yearly, when my spyder is in hibernation( Oct. to April). It is easier for me.
    Deanna
    Deanna,
    I live south of you.The temps here are definitely trending downward, and the daylight is getting shorter. Can't imagine what it's like in Vermont. Got an appointment on Oct. 18th for my '15 RT Limited's "end of season" annual service, and oil change. This will be the last annual service for it under any type of warranty. My BEST warranty expires on April 2020., while it's in for it's winter nap.
    I've had zero mechanical issues with my Spyder. Needs a rear tire before next riding season(15,000+ miles).That's why I'm on the fence about looking at a 2020, even though my 70 year old hips are having a hard time with the seating position on my '15.
    Mike
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited