Thread: Metal on Metal?

Spyder Garage

Default Metal on Metal?

Wife's 2019 F3-T has what she describes as a "screeching sound" like metal on metal coming from what appears to be the right front. It is more noticeable at 30-40 mph. At first she thought her radio was on but the volume was muted. My first thought was a loose radiator fan but neither of us is mechanically oriented.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Brakes?

Spyder Garage

2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

If it is brakes. It is easily checked. If it is metal on metal you will have damage to the rotor (inside or outside or both). If it's just noisy brakes, then there won't be any damage to the rotor. The other possibility is a small stone lodged in the pad. This will also cause visual damage to the rotor. But this scenario is unlikely.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default Where to start...

start with the brakes...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Wife spoke with the dealer's Service Manager. He advised that "they have been having trouble with the 'front pulley" lately and to "bring it in". My follow up question would have been, "What's a front pulley?"
    Anybody?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JO2L View Post
    Wife spoke with the dealer's Service Manager. He advised that "they have been having trouble with the 'front pulley" lately and to "bring it in". My follow up question would have been, "What's a front pulley?"
    Anybody?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's for the drive belt.

Spyder Garage

going from the right front to mid left!! Stranger things have happen!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Anybody?
    PulleySystem.png

Quite a leap from a brake problem. Not sure what would have sent them in this direction. If the noise is not associated with applying the brakes. Then it probably is some other issue. But to get to this with an over the phone diagnosis! That's pretty good if they are right.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 10-09-2019 at 09:16 AM.

Spyder Garage

Love how belt drives are pulleys and chain drives are sprockets. They both have teeth. Drive pulley and countershaft pulley
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Love how belt drives are pulleys and chain drives are sprockets. They both have teeth. Drive pulley and countershaft pulley
    I think it is simply, as you indicate, a way to designate between the 2 systems.

Pulley = Belt
    Sprocket = Chain

There are, of course, belt/pulley systems without teeth as in the V-Belt and Flat Serpentine Belt.

Spyder Garage

BajaRon, your explanation brings to mind a previous conversation I had with the SM concerning vibrating mirrors on The Wife's F3-T . He claimed to have never heard of The Wedgie and stated that the vibration is due to a "harmonic vibration" which his Spyder Technician can sometimes remedy by adjusting the tension of the drive belt. I guess we'll see. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

if your going to Winston-Salem Honda, their dealership is good, if your going to any other, SWITCH. they will treat you right. that's is where I bought my very slightly used RT in 2017
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

BajaRon, your explanation brings to mind a previous conversation I had with the SM concerning vibrating mirrors on The Wife's F3-T . He claimed to have never heard of The Wedgie and stated that the vibration is due to a "harmonic vibration" which his Spyder Technician can sometimes remedy by adjusting the tension of the drive belt. I guess we'll see. Thanks.
    Harmonic vibration simply means the vibration source has stimulated another component to vibrate along with it. Curing belt vibration can improve a number of things. But it is virtually impossible to eliminate all drive belt vibration. Though it can be reduced to a level that satisfies nearly everyone.

Spyder Garage

The dealer's Tech took my wife's F3-T "out for a spin" and said it was the best fun he had had all day. He stated that the front end noise could most probably be attributed to lugging the engine in 5th gear at 35 mph when Nannie doesn't downshift the transmission (a glitch). That was the only condition in which he could detect an abnormal sound from the front end. Of note is that on the way home The Wife turned off the ECO feature and tried relying on her feel of the bike as a long term motorcycle rider. She feels that she is better able to "get the most from it" that way. She did admit that when she goes to a full face helmet this winter, she may have to enable the ECO because she will not be able to hear the engine ass well as she can with "naked ears". Thanks to all who chimed in .