Thread: New to me RT

Spyder Garage

Default New to me RT

Joined the forum in '18 planning to get a Ryker. Up until a couple weeks ago was still seriously considering a Ryker. Everything changed when my wife decided that she might ride some with me or even ride by herself. Now we are the owners of a 2015 RT limited in white. Got it from Barney's in Brandon, Fl. We are Fl residents but still have our place in NC, due to the coronavirus we are in Fl longer than usual. As people here know there is a learning curve with these, especially if you have been riding over fifty years. Doing better than I would have thought, still want to occasionally put my foot down or reach for the front brake. Our place in NC is only 13 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway which should the perfect place for a Spyder. Hopefully this virus thing will improve and we can get back to riding and golf.

Spyder Garage

There is definitely a learning curve! I remember it was about 1500 miles before I just rode instead of overthinking everything. Every ride will be better.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default New Spyder Owner

Welcome and enjoy your time with your `15 RTL.
    A great choice by the way. Post up a picture of your Spyder.
    Be Safe and enjoy your Ryde. .......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gg194 View Post
    Joined the forum in '18 planning to get a Ryker. Up until a couple weeks ago was still seriously considering a Ryker. Everything changed when my wife decided that she might ride some with me or even ride by herself. Now we are the owners of a 2015 RT limited in white. Got it from Barney's in Brandon, Fl. We are Fl residents but still have our place in NC, due to the coronavirus we are in Fl longer than usual. As people here know there is a learning curve with these, especially if you have been riding over fifty years. Doing better than I would have thought, still want to occasionally put my foot down or reach for the front brake. Our place in NC is only 13 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway which should the perfect place for a Spyder. Hopefully this virus thing will improve and we can get back to riding and golf.
    gg........I'm in the same boat, I just bought a new '19 RTL in late February and after riding two wheel motorcycles for almost 50 years, getting the Spyder has been a big change for me also. It does get better each and every time I go out on it, but I wish I had a dollar for every reach for the front brake lever. One of the first things I did was install the BajaRon sway bar and if yours doesn't have it on there, it's certainly worth the time and money to put it on, especially if you like to "push" the bike a bit into the corners. The last 20 years of my riding has been on Sport bikes and upright standards, with a stint of 7 years as an Instructor for SportBike Track Time, and teaching folks how to ride fast and safe on a race track....so trust me, it's been a huge learning experience riding without leaning a bike over, putting a knee down and trail braking into every corner. The good news is......it's getting better each ride to adapt to three instead of two wheels. Good luck.....you'll do just fine.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    Welcome and enjoy your time with your `15 RTL.
    A great choice by the way. Post up a picture of your Spyder.
    Be Safe and enjoy your Ryde. .......
    Pictures are beyond my computer skills, I sometimes have trouble answering the phone. Can take pics and get them in a text but that's about it. Probably not willing to take the time to learn, more than two steps involved I struggle. Maybe I can get my wife to post one.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Our place in NC is only 13 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway which should the perfect place for a Spyder.
    Where's your place in NC? My folks live just off the BRP and I'm about 30 minutes away in N. Wilkesboro.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on your spyder and to the spyder web. If you haven't read the do's and don'ts for new spyder riders, you might want to do so. there is plenty of good info there. You can find it under the general forum tab. Dale

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Welcome! I am also in NC. I was just talking to a buddy about taking a day trip to the BRP and going to Boone and down to Little Switzerland. Hope you get up here soon and will make the rally in Maggie Valley.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    Where's your place in NC? My folks live just off the BRP and I'm about 30 minutes away in N. Wilkesboro.
    I used to pass through on 421 all the time on my way to Boone when my daughter went to school at App. State. Now we go that way to get on the BRP for our day trips. For some reason, when passing through Wilkesborro, I cannot get a phone call out on my phone. I can send a text, but for about 10 miles either direction, no phone calls. That was true for my daughters phone also. But my wife's worked fine. But the wife had a plan and we had a prepaid plan.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    Also N. Wilkesboro, been there since 2005 but my wife is from there. If you're a native you're probably related somehow, 13 on each side of her family. Phone service is always iffy when you get out of town. If you get signal you have to stand very still.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

on the new to you 2015 Spyder RT Limited!! Many miles and smiles to come for sure.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Congrats on the new wheels. I used to live in Oxford, NC. about an hour north of Raleigh/Durham off I-85. My wife at the time had parents in Mtn City, TN so we used to go through Boone a lot. Always wanted to cruise that area on a motorcycle but never even bought one until I moved back to WI in '97. Awesome area that BRP is.....but WI has its perks too.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

on your Spyder. You are going to like it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    Congrats on the new wheels. I used to live in Oxford, NC. about an hour north of Raleigh/Durham off I-85. My wife at the time had parents in Mtn City, TN so we used to go through Boone a lot.
    Wow, Oxford, NC! I grew up between Oxford and Roxboro. I used to work in Oxford from 1988-1992 at the precast plant there. I still have some land and a farm about 1 mile outside of the Granville County line.

Spyder Garage

gg194 and on the new Spyder. Hope you have many happy miles.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

N. Wilksboro, Mtn City, they spell Brushy Mountain Road, The Snake and lots of other great roads -- excellent riding anytime.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Also N. Wilkesboro, been there since 2005 but my wife is from there. If you're a native you're probably related somehow, 13 on each side of her family. Phone service is always iffy when you get out of town. If you get signal you have to stand very still.
    Cell service is better w/Carolina West (what I've got) but not great anywhere in this general area.

I'm not from around here. I moved down here about 3 years ago from northern Indiana. I'm not related to anyone from here except my folks and they're not even from around here. (They retired here about 15 years ago.)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Welcome! I am also in NC. I was just talking to a buddy about taking a day trip to the BRP and going to Boone and down to Little Switzerland. Hope you get up here soon and will make the rally in Maggie Valley.
    Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I used to pass through on 421 all the time on my way to Boone when my daughter went to school at App. State. Now we go that way to get on the BRP for our day trips. For some reason, when passing through Wilkesborro, I cannot get a phone call out on my phone. I can send a text, but for about 10 miles either direction, no phone calls. That was true for my daughters phone also. But my wife's worked fine. But the wife had a plan and we had a prepaid plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    N. Wilksboro, Mtn City, they spell Brushy Mountain Road, The Snake and lots of other great roads -- excellent riding anytime.
    Maybe we'll all get together to ride between here and the BRP or Little Switzerland or something one day.

Spyder Garage

No straight roads in the area when you get off the four lane. Have to be very careful on the side roads in Wilkes County. It's Junior Johnson country and many of the locals use most of the road so it's not unusual to meet someone on your side of the road. A good road in the area is Hwy 58 from Independence, Va to Damascas, Va. Have to be careful because there's a bicycle ride, Virginia Creeper, and a company that uses long vans and long trailers to transport riders to one end and there's gravel in most turns.