Spyder Garage

Default Brake Failure Part II. Frustrated doesn't even begin to come close.

So I took a ride for the first time in about a month. Love bugs have been horrendous this year, not to mention the heat. Over 100°F for a while now. So the bike hummed along perfectly to my destination. Parked it, came back 30 minutes later. Brake failure. Unlike last time it left codes P0571 and P1571 behind. Last time it only had U0128 as a code. They replaced my left switch pack under warranty. I've started a fresh contact with BRP Cares (Do they really?), hope this time they replace everything including the parking brake actuator motor. I suspect the motor gets weak in the heat. I've asked them to try to minimize the time my bike is hostage, and make this the final fix on the problem. One more go after this (strike 3) and I think I'll be able to legally do the Lemon Law.
    Parking Brake Fail Second Time 10-4-19 small.jpg

The first repair made it a shade over 2 months and 1258 miles.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

So those are the parking brake faults - they really need to fix this issue. Seems to me they changed something in 18 that they should have left alone, the prior years did not have these issues.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    So those are the parking brake faults - they really need to fix this issue. Seems to me they changed something in 18 that they should have left alone, the prior years did not have these issues.
    Ms SpyderAnne01,
    My best guess is that the 2nd and 3rd tier sub-assembly vendors are making components as cheaply as they have to to still make a profit. As expensive as these machines are (comparable to the Goldwing) you'd expect them to exhibit a similar level of reliability. I may stand alone in this, but in my estimation the Spyder hasn't improved their deservedly low reliability ranking since inception.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals

Spyder Garage

Your assessment of Spyder reliability is correct, sadly.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

I had all three but hasn't come back. Yet
    Dealer said it was a communication issue, But cant duplicate so they fixed nothing..............

IMG_20190719_165121.jpg
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluewoo View Post
    I had all three but hasn't come back. Yet
    Dealer said it was a communication issue, But cant duplicate so they fixed nothing..............

IMG_20190719_165121.jpg
    You need to be in touch with BRP directly. I believe I read there is some kind of bulletin about he left switch pack, and any codes thrown should be stored somewhere in the computer log. Mine cleared each time, but only occurred about monthly. Plus you have a picture for proof. Always take a picture of the codes and mileage so you can prove it happened!
    h0gr1der

Spyder Garage

Default Love-Hate relationship

So I just took a wonderful 180 mile round trip to the dealer, and I must say I am pleased. The Spyder ran flawlessly, weather was partly cloudy and mid 80's. Wonderful to be alive and ride type of day.

Things went exactly like I had hoped they would at the dealership. Pulled it in for diagnostic only (pre-scheduled), got the Spyder back a couple of hours later with the sheet saying that they were ordering the parking brake actuator. That's what it has to be. Symptoms were when riding in high heat the parking brake wouldn't release. Bike didn't move, alarm didn't sound, but red light started flashing. We've already replaced the switch pack on the left handlebar per the TSB, so I'm betting on the parking brake motor getting weak from being heat soaked (electric theory-heat goes up, resistance goes up).

I learned something about the repair process at a generalized Motorsports dealership that may go a long way towards making doing business with them not seem as awful. Here's what happened last time, and here's what I did to fix it.

Last time- Parking brake failure and coolant leak. Dropped bike off, several days to get a mechanic bay for diagnostic. Parts ordered from diagnostician, 7-9 days to get parts. Parts arrive, 7-8 days until a mechanic is available. Almost a month to get bike back.

This time- Parking brake failure. Schedule just a drive in diagnostic. Parts ordered, dealership will call me when the parts are in and a mechanic is sitting on go for the repair. Should go a lot faster this way. The only caveat to this is if it's busted too bad to ride. Mine was not (this time).

Mr. Bluewoo,
    I take still pictures to document all codes as well, but they can't argue with a video. I take my phone and record a video with audible cues, my name, date and time, problem encountered and read the codes aloud. Kind of hard to argue with all that. Pictures are nice to email, but a video catches a lot more information. I don't know if my codes were still present, P0571 and P1571, but they didn't question it. The fact that your dealership didn't do anything in the face of a picture means they are not in touch with the new TSB on switch pack failures on the left side, or either you may need a new dealership.

Like I've said in the past. You have to beat these reliability issues into submission. Having a decent dealership helps. So far I'm moving back towards the "Love It" column. But in the back of my mind is the fact that roughly 16% of the mileage on my Spyder is shuttling back and forward to the dealership for repairs or corrective action.
    h0gr1der

Spyder Garage

I showed them the pic (codes were stored *communication error mechanic said) and still they told me if it does it again try to move the windshield up and down, may help them isolate the control module. MY (good) dealer is 43 miles one way so its a pain to arrange anything to drop off so its documented for now and its been behaving. Yes it was very hot in my toy hauler when this happened too.
    Do you have a copy of the TSB and what was the sequences of parts replaced?

Im very happy for you that the dealership worked with you and resolved this problem, thanks for the updates!!
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluewoo View Post
    I showed them the pic (codes were stored *communication error mechanic said) and still they told me if it does it again try to move the windshield up and down, may help them isolate the control module. MY (good) dealer is 43 miles one way so its a pain to arrange anything to drop off so its documented for now and its been behaving. Yes it was very hot in my toy hauler when this happened too.
    Do you have a copy of the TSB and what was the sequences of parts replaced?

Im very happy for you that the dealership worked with you and resolved this problem, thanks for the updates!!
    Mr. Bluewoo,
    No copy of the TSB, but heard mention of it at the dealership. If your first dealer had the codes, and you had the pictures, they should have replaced the left handlebar switch bundle. It is replaced as a whole. I would schedule a diagnostic at the good dealer, and if they repair it, then I would never spend another thin dime at the first dealer.
    h0gr1der

Spyder Garage

Today I took another 90 mile one way trip to drop the Spyder off for its second parking brake failure repair. So far; Diagnostic on 10-9-19, got a call about parts (parking brake actuator motor) arrived 10-15-19 (6 days), dropped bike off today 10-17-19. Lets see the repair time. I really like doing my repairs this way, minimizes the hostage time of the Spyder.
    h0gr1der

Spyder Garage

Got the call on the afternoon of the 18th, bike is ready for pick up. 2 day turnaround for the parking brake replacement once the parts were in hand. I think this is my method from now on, provided the Spyder isn't broken so badly it can't be ridden. Bike went into the shop for about 3 hours on the 9th for diagnostic but I rode it home afterwards, parts were in hand on the 15th, and they had the bike from the 17th to the 19th, but called me late on the 18th so I'll call that 2 days. So my total downtime was 2 days and 3 hours, and I got some great riding in between visits. This is a win, provided the parking brake motor isn't also defective. Kind of like picking up that drill at Harbor Freight. Cheap junk you just keep replacing until you get the good one. Time will tell.
    h0gr1der