Spyder Garage

Default Weight Capacity Concern (F3-S)

Hey Gang!

Question: I recently bought a F3-S for myself this year and I love it! Now, my wife is interested in riding/touring with me, but we're both on the solid side. Combined weight of around 530lbs. I've upgraded all the shocks (Front/Rear) with Stage 2 Elka and did the Stage 2 ECU remapping for a better pull of power. We love our rides, but we've never toured yet. It handles our weight just fine, but when it comes to going long distance, such as state to state - Do you guys believe that the F3-S may be able to handle that much load for 3-5hr rides at at time or more? Thanks in advance!

Spyder Garage

Curious as to why you didn't buy a touring model??

Spyder Garage

I didn't buy the touring model at first due to it being just for me. She got into wanting to ride with me months later. I know they all have the same engines and power, but the touring models have a little more bells and whistles. With the Shad bags on the F3-S, it has more storage than the F3-T. RT is out of my price range and plus, I like the cruiser style riding.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think you should be fine. I noticed that you stated that you upgraded the shocks, but does that include an upgrade for the rear shock as well? I hear that you will need the 2 up shock for the rear.
    Where are you in NC? Are you going to the spyder rally in Maggie Valley next week? Maybe we will see you there.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

If the bike is working fine now o your short rides it will work fine on your long rides!!! As long as you have enough places to stow your cloths and things all is good!! You may have to adjust your shocks a little after the bike has been loaded with all your stuff, but I would load it and take a toot around to test it out before going down on the trip! Good luck and happy trails!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    If the bike is working fine now o your short rides it will work fine on your long rides!!! As long as you have enough places to stow your cloths and things all is good!! You may have to adjust your shocks a little after the bike has been loaded with all your stuff, but I would load it and take a toot around to test it out before going down on the trip! Good luck and happy trails!
    with Mikey …… and IMHO, the weight limitations set by BRP have more to do with the BRAKING ability then with the strength of the frame or suspension …..( this is especially true while using a trailer )... BAJARON sells upgrades to the braking system that most folks have found to be quite noticeable..... With your currant load I would definitely NOT tow a trailer though ….. good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Touring.....

As much of the touring is on freeways and slow ryding side roads with your set up you should be fine. If you do ryde the twisties together just take it easy and enjoy the ryde....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Stock setup for F3-S 2019 = Total load allowed 438 lbs ------ GVW = 1,382 lbs

Most limits put on by the factory will be well on the safe side.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

put 9,000 plus miles on my Rt this year, had some 10 plus hour days as well.. Weight was on the over limit side of things...no problem this last summer. I did pull a trailer tho, for all our stuff. Don't think twice about it....do it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrain047 View Post
    Hey Gang!

Question: I recently bought a F3-S for myself this year and I love it! Now, my wife is interested in riding/touring with me, but we're both on the solid side. Combined weight of around 530lbs. I've upgraded all the shocks (Front/Rear) with Stage 2 Elka and did the Stage 2 ECU remapping for a better pull of power. We love our rides, but we've never toured yet. It handles our weight just fine, but when it comes to going long distance, such as state to state - Do you guys believe that the F3-S may be able to handle that much load for 3-5hr rides at at time or more? Thanks in advance!
    Ride as long as you want, the machine has proven it can handle it.
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Spyder Garage

With the M2 shock in the rear you'll be just fine 2 up. I have a F3T and no longer use the air adjustment with the M2's. I've found that most motorcycle load ratings are conservative at best. Combined my girlfriend and I are more "solid" than you and your wife.lol No issues and no concerns. BTW comment on F3T and Limited saddle bags is so very true;almost useless.

Spyder Garage

you getting the shocks (front and rear) and the remapp was a very smart move...you took care of the Suspension and Engine performance first priority in which will benefit you in the long term.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrain047 View Post
    Hey Gang!

I read your post.. I read that you have a F3s,,, not an RT,,,,not an F3t..
    I happen to have an F3s as well.. My opinion is you / We have the best model..
    It’s faster and you can add luggage and remove it and you essentially have 2 bikes in one..
    You have made some good upgrades and when you get the luggage sorted out then hit the road!!
    My Spyder F3s is very comfortable for 2 up loooong distance and fast!!
    PM me with your number and I’ll tx you some pics..