Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

The 10th digit is the year. K= 2019. The month of manufacture is not in the VIN. https://www.carfax.com/blog/vin-decoding

Spyder Garage

This super depressing. I have a four day weekend coming up which I was going to ride home (250mile trip about 5 1/2 hr ride). I have had the bike for about two weeks now and just hit the 500 mile mark and am scheduled to take it in Tuesday for the after break-in check up before I take my road trip.

I know I should use my own judgment, but since my bike is fairly new, always garage kept when not riding, would I be ok for just a little bit longer since its going to be a few weeks to get the parts in?
    2020 Rally Edition , Yellow/Black

Spyder Garage

My dealership said it would probably be months before they had the parts.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ryker571 View Post

I know I should use my own judgment, but since my bike is fairly new, always garage kept when not riding, would I be ok for just a little bit longer since its going to be a few weeks to get the parts in?
    It's obviously going to be YOUR call on this, but since BRP can't track the wheel nuts from any possibly bad batches once said nuts are in the inventory, they just don't know which Rykers may have them, implying that they have absobloodylutely NO WAY of knowing which Rykers have wheel nuts that might suddenly & with no prior indications result in potentially catastrophic failures!! But the risk is obvious and great enough for them to take the massive step of issuing a recall for ALL Rykers made since Feb 2019.... And the NHTSA mob agree!

You feeling lucky?!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post

You feeling lucky?!

A little..lol. Or maybe I just like riding the darn thing so much I am in denial and want to pretend that I didn't even know about it. If you look at the dates, they aren't supposed to notify dealers until October 11th and not notifying customers until Oct 30th! On top of that, there are reports that they won't even have the parts available for several weeks. In my mind, if it was in fact an emergency, they would push it immediately.
    2020 Rally Edition , Yellow/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    I Talked directly to BRP on the phone even though my vin check online was negative. She informed me mine was Not effected because it was made in NOV 2018 and in my showroom in DEC. The 10th digit of your Ryker vin is the month of build as K = Nov in my case. A vendor batch from 7 Feb 2019 or later is the suspect and they can't trace the bad parts after that Soo all the Rykers after that date are possible subjects and should be replaced.
    That is not correct. The month of manufacture is not in the VIN.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This super depressing. I have a four day weekend coming up which I was going to ride home (250mile trip about 5 1/2 hr ride). I have had the bike for about two weeks now and just hit the 500 mile mark and am scheduled to take it in Tuesday for the after break-in check up before I take my road trip.

I'd ride it if it were me. We only have maybe another couple weeks of riding season left. I'm going to keep riding mine.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KC61 View Post
    That is not correct. The month of manufacture is not in the VIN.
    That is correct. The month of manufacture is not in the VIN. But it is on the VIN label.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd keep riding it. Keep an Eye on it, but keep enjoying your Ryker.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

ist easy :

under the ryder-seat is a sticker which shows also when the RYKER was produced .. mine one has a "K" in the VIN code and its built 11/2018 - so the nuts are OK

(I reach the 10.000 miles now - without any Problems !!)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Chris56, I was just going to post this and you beat me to it! Here is my tag. Built in March 2019 and the VIN ends with 3393.
    vin.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    I Talked directly to BRP on the phone even though my vin check online was negative. She informed me mine was Not effected because it was made in NOV 2018 and in my showroom in DEC. The 10th digit of your Ryker vin is the month of build as K = Nov in my case. A vendor batch from 7 Feb 2019 or later is the suspect and they can't trace the bad parts after that Soo all the Rykers after that date are possible subjects and should be replaced.
    Mine has a "K" in the VIN but it has a manufactured date of May 2019. Apparently, the info regarding the "K" being the date is wrong, unless it ONLY pertains to the year, not the month.

Spyder Garage

If you will look at NathanL's reply at the top of the page, the K represents the year ('19).The month is not represented in the VIN.
    Spyder F3-S Special Series my traveling ride
    Ryker Rally modified for dual sport duty
    Honda Grom heavily modified for dual sport duty
    Ducati Scrambler Icon Dark my other traveling ride

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    ist easy :

under the ryder-seat is a sticker which shows also when the RYKER was produced .. mine one has a "K" in the VIN code and its built 11/2018 - so the nuts are OK

(I reach the 10.000 miles now - without any Problems !!)
    SORRY- I was wrong- Look under the seat as above. Mine born in November also with 4,300 trouble free miles. Changed my Gear oil and CVT filter at 3,500 miles and Just changed the engine oil with 5w40 Valvoline MST synthetic used in high end foreign cars and diesels as well. Looks like buying early is beneficial this time around.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    I'd keep riding it. Keep an Eye on it, but keep enjoying your Ryker.
    100%! This, like many recalls, will probably be a rare issue. How many cracked wheel nuts have you heard about?

It is likely that most do not even have this problem. But, (I am assuming) because there have been some occurrences, BRP is playing it safe and will wipe the board and start clean. Until then, if you don't have any signs (and they should be easily seen), then just check and ride.

Stress cracks will show up before complete failure. And we don't even know that there has been a complete failure. Only that it might be possible if you continue to ride with a failing hub nut.

I've checked my Ryker and the nuts look fine. I'm going to ride it without concern until I see evidence of damage. If I lose a wheel... I'll let you know.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 10-05-2019 at 03:48 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

You don't have to speculate. In the official Safety Recall Report, BRP describes the cause.
    Extract from the report:
    Chronology :
    In July 2019, BRP started receiving reports of cracked wheel nuts. Each wheel has one nut. This assembly is
    specific to our Ryker model which was introduced in MY2019.
    BRP started its investigation and requested parts from the field. The pattern of reports accelerated in August.
    The investigation included discussion with the suppliers to identify any possible deviation in the parts
    manufacturing process. This part is made by a Tier 1 and a Tier 2. The issue was identified as coming from the
    hollowed aluminum extrusion process of the Tier 2 supplier.
    BRP performed tests to evaluate the possible impact on a vehicle of a cracked nut. Also, the investigation was
    pointing on a possible reception of bad lot of parts sometimes during the production and not from the
    beginning of the MY2019 production. Therefore, BRP started the process to identify and locate the lot.
    As BRP’s investigation was ongoing, NHTSA contacted BRP during the week of August 19 regarding the wheel
    assembly.
    From that week up to the week of September 15, tests were completed and taking in consideration discussions
    with NHSTA, BRP decided to issue a Safety Recall on the affected vehicles.
    BRP received at least one bad lot of parts starting on February 7th and is unable to isolate the parts with
    enough certainty up to the vehicles produced on September 13, 2019. This includes some MY2019 and 2020
    vehicles.
    No injuries were reported
    As of September 18, 2019, BRP identified a total of 44 reports worldwide of cracked wheel nuts including 41 in
    the United States. There are also 6 VOQs files at NHTSA and upon information we have (excerpt of VIN and
    State) we beleive that they were alos part of the 41 reports

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NathanL View Post
    Chris56, I was just going to post this and you beat me to it! Here is my tag. Built in March 2019 and the VIN ends with 3393.
    vin.jpg
    That's interesting. Mine was built in May '19 and the last four numbers are 0088.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post
    That's interesting. Mine was built in May '19 and the last four numbers are 0088.
    I will assume that the VIN numbers work the same for Rykers as Spyders. Every model type, with a different trim, factory options, country options and color. Has a different model code number and has its own series of VINs. So yours is 0088. That just means that 87 Rykers that are identical to yours where made before yours.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Many of us simply visually inspect the 3 wheel nuts for cracks at the beginning of each ride. As long as you keep any eye on things and don’t ride if you see a crack you should be fine. Remember, theres a large bad batch but very few have failed.

If you want to hedge your bets, order a spare (it will still be old style) for the $30 or so it costs to take on your trip as a backup.

Spyder Garage

I'm guessing you can't buy the old style at this time either, hopefully.

Spyder Garage

Can Am may not have the part but Cheapcycleparts.com will add the wheel nut to a shopping cart. I didn’t try to checkout as I already have a spare.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KyBill View Post
    Can Am may not have the part but Cheapcycleparts.com will add the wheel nut to a shopping cart. I didn’t try to checkout as I already have a spare.
    That is a little concerning isn't it? Seems BRP needs to get these parts back and melted back down ASAP.

Spyder Garage

This is a mess for a lot of dealers- Their into Snow machine sales and they gotta change the 3 Nuts on every vehicle they sold and didn't make a fortune on any of them? Service will certainly be busy???

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

No snow machine sales down here but a lot of ATV sales. It would take a whopping 15 minutes to change all 3 and torque

Spyder Garage

Looks like I was "almost" correct on my "theory of caused wheel nut cracks" ....internal flaws at extrusion process. Can't blame Can Am mechanics or owners. I think the only way to have caught this problem before they hit the assembly line would have been to x-ray or maybe eddy current a huuuuuge sample of nuts. The sample size probably stayed the same between the hollowed and solid extrusion. All inspection processes probably met all requirements, but &%#T happens. Nothing is perfect. I'm wondering if the new nuts will be just reverting back to solid extrusions only. Makes sense to me. I bought my rally in July, but it's build date is 10/18...whew! BUT, IF all nuts are replaced they would most likely replace post 2/19's first. I haven't heard from my dealer yet. By the way 100% inspection is not 100% flawless. Example>>> If you are doing any inspection and then someones comes up to you and ask you if you watched the game last night. Then you finish your conversation and you go back to work asking yourself "now where was I?"....hmmmm.