Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default RECALL - ALL 2019 and 2020 Ryker Models - Wheel Nuts

Just sending out a PSA. BRP has issued a formal Safety Recall of 2019 and 2020 Ryker models built to date for the replacement of defective wheel nuts. If you own a Ryker, please see a dealer and get the 3 wheel nuts replaced ASAP. The existing ones tend to crack and they then no longer hold the wheel to the vehicle. Bad situation if it happens while riding. A copy of the recall report is below if you wish to read it.

NHTSA Ryker Recall Page 1.jpg
    NHTSA Ryker Recall Page 2.jpg
    NHTSA Ryker Recall Page 3.jpg

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just received a call from my dealer about this. Said it would be 3-4 weeks before he had new parts in stock.

Spyder Garage

I like the "No Injuries have been reported" statement. I certainly hope they fix all the vehicles on the road first before units in inventory.

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

I wonder if the torque specs will change with the new wheel nuts. Maybe someone can post a photo of the new ones once they get theirs replaced? Hopefully the sockets we bought out of pocket will still work for the new ones.
    Glad to hear that Can Am is being proactive on this. I expected a few glitches to be worked out on the first year model, and this is not my primary vehicle so I am OK.

Thanks for passing on the info...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My guess is the overall look, fit will be the same and the same size tool will still be used.

Spyder Garage

Mine was taken home 31 Jan Soo I assume its OK because the Bad batch were from Feb 7th - current?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    Mine was taken home 31 Jan Soo I assume its OK because the Bad batch were from Feb 7th - current?
    Yeah, it sure sounds like that.

I picked mine up in April but I haven't seen any cracks yet. Perhaps mine was made before that as well. I'm in the Northeast so not many people were buying them yet in my area. I should check my VIN this weekend.

Spyder Garage

Hopefully for you guys it's just a case of, just a lot of nuts that didn't get heat treated in the process of making them!!! Be safe !!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Hopefully for you guys it's just a case of, just a lot of nuts that didn't get heat treated in the process of making them!!! Be safe !!
    Do they heat treat aluminum?

Never mind, yes they do

Spyder Garage

Don't think the nuts are aluminum!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks...

Suspected as much. Not some thing to doubt or delay on. Hope they can get the parts sooner but for those in a hurry to get the last rydes in can get some machined
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Don't think the nuts are aluminum!
    Yes they are

Spyder Garage

On the USA website of BRP, the recall is online: https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/owner...y-recalls.html

Spyder Garage

The 10th character in the 17-character VIN represents the vehicle model-year. This standard applies to vehicles built in or after 1981
    I called the # in the above post and Because mine was Built in Nov 2018 it is Not included.
    Check the 10th character in your Vin ----- K on my vin means November Build date.

Spyder Garage

The 10th digit is in fact the model year but has nothing to do with the month of manufacture

Spyder Garage

I contacted my dealer and they had not received the recall yet. I gave them the information and they looked it up and said ALL wheel nuts will be replaced. I just bought mine a couple months ago (July) and they said they were still going to replace them. They told me that the wheel nuts would be ordered today and that they should be delivered on Monday. They told me that they would call me and make an appointment to replace them while I wait. I asked if the nuts would be any different and they said the information said that there was a design characteristic that would identify the new ones versus the old ones, so they would not be confused.

Spyder Garage

Based on the description of the fix as I read it. They will no longer be making the nut from an extruded tube and using a solid bar instead. So the appearance will likely be the same.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

My dealer just called me to get the process started, as far as he knows it is all the rykers.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mb101 View Post
    My dealer just called me to get the process started, as far as he knows it is all the rykers.
    That's what the service dept said when I called earlier. They said they plan to replace all of them.

Spyder Garage

Just got another call from them saying the parts are not in stock so it could be a bit of a wait, for me that’s fine as I don’t have much of a riding season left.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mb101 View Post
    Just got another call from them saying the parts are not in stock so it could be a bit of a wait, for me that’s fine as I don’t have much of a riding season left.
    All year long down here. They told me, next week but I'll believe it when they call me..........if.....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KC61 View Post
    The 10th digit is in fact the model year but has nothing to do with the month of manufacture
    I Talked directly to BRP on the phone even though my vin check online was negative. She informed me mine was Not effected because it was made in NOV 2018 and in my showroom in DEC. The 10th digit of your Ryker vin is the month of build as K = Nov in my case. A vendor batch from 7 Feb 2019 or later is the suspect and they can't trace the bad parts after that Soo all the Rykers after that date are possible subjects and should be replaced.

Spyder Garage

Mine has a K and they said they are going to replace it. I guess I will find out once they call me......if they call me to come in. They looked my name up and my vin and still said they were going to change them out. I am not going to argue with them if the new ones are better.

Spyder Garage

They just announce the recall, therefor we will have to wait minimum of 2 to 3 weeks before dealers gets the parts. Dealer will use the first available parts on their own inventory, so they can sell the bikes, then whats left of the inventory will be allocated to rest of us. 2017 BMW had big recall on their R1200GS and GS Adventure models. BMW dealer did same thing used all the first available parts on their inventory.