Spyder Garage

Default middle side panel questions

hi everyone. some questions pertaining the the middle side panel or oil tank cover/radiator covers. after reading about some people losing this panel, i started checking my panel fit. according to the directions in removiing and installing these panels, they indicate to rotate the panel to disconnect or reconnect this tab on the backside of the panel to the plastic frame support. there is no way i can get the panel to hook behind the frame piece. how are you people dealing with this? i just dont want to lose my panels.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rugercharger View Post
    hi everyone. some questions pertaining the the middle side panel or oil tank cover/radiator covers. after reading about some people losing this panel, i started checking my panel fit. according to the directions in removiing and installing these panels, they indicate to rotate the panel to disconnect or reconnect this tab on the backside of the panel to the plastic frame support. there is no way i can get the panel to hook behind the frame piece. how are you people dealing with this? i just dont want to lose my panels.
    Any panel that has more than one attaching post can't be rotated …………. I added a small bolt at the top of that panel that connects it to the panel above - problem solved ….. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have seen a few of my friends loose these panels on their RT's. The common thing has been that they weren't properly re-attached by someone prior to the bit coming off.

Mine are pretty well attached - I remove and refit in reverse :
    1. Pop the front grommet 1st
    2. Pop the lower rear grommet 2nd
    3. Unhook the top.

If someone has broken the top "hook, then they seem to be easily dislodged. I got into the habit of inspecting mine when ever the RTL had a visit to the dealership where I bought it...if the hook on either one was broken they could expect me in the office to collect a replacement. Ironically that very workshop was the common denominator in the 3 episodes of mates panels coming off - their factory trained techs must have been asleep in that class.!!
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

As a precaution, use Velcro on the flat area between the hook and the front prong. Cheap insurance, invisible to the eye. Put the hook side on the bike, the pile side on the panel. Works great! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    As a precaution, use Velcro on the flat area between the hook and the front prong. Cheap insurance, invisible to the eye. Put the hook side on the bike, the pile side on the panel. Works great! Joe
    Joe, I wish I had seen your method before I created mine ….. much simpler and equally effective …… Thanks …. Mike

Spyder Garage

You say there's no way you can get the panel hooked behind the frame piece. The hook on the panel does not hook to any frame piece but it hooks to the rearward end of the plastic panel that holds the fog light, a.k.a the front panel.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!