Spyder Garage

Default first oil change now or in the spring?

greetings,

i don't think i will make it to 3000 miles before the snow flies. i will probably get to 1500.

my question is should i change out the factory fill now before winter storage to avoid any corrosion with used oil and then do the 3000 mile service some time in the spring? maybe even repeat the oil change again at 3000 miles just to satisfy the warranty? this might be the high cost option since i have not checked on the oil change cost.
    or
    store it with 1500 mile oil and finish the 3000 miles next spring and do the first service? according to the build date, this will be slightly over 1 year on the factory fill.

the other part of this is that somewhere i heard that the the factory fill should be in there for the full initial 3000 miles to finish break-in.

there are so many factiods about oil, hard to keep it all straight:

-break-in factory oil is just regular oil
    -factory fill should be left in to polish the innards
    -wait before using synthetic
    -etc

so, would i be making a mistake changing the factory fill at 1500 miles?

thank you
    ba
    2019 F3-T Liquid Titanium

“we are all products of those to whom we have chosen to listen”
    2019 F3T , titanium

Spyder Garage

I would change it, but that's me, some will pipe up and say that it will be fine!! If it was mine I would change it out and be ready for spring thaw!! Put a tender on the battery or disconnect the battery and keep it charged every now or then! Good luck
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Changing the oil now may make you feel better. But it isn't necessary. Modern oils are much better than hey used to be. They are specifically designed to prevent corrosion, etc., in storage. If it were mine, I'd leave it be and change it next spring when I get the 3,000k on it. You can also change your tires, brakes, etc., when they are 1/2 worn. But it isn't necessary.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I would change the oil before the snow flies. But that's just me.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would leave it in. There will be no corrosion from the used oil. Run it until 3,000 and then change it to a synthetic.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Pretty certain you will find your manual states change before storage. Entirely your call on what to do.

On our 2014 RTS, i used the BRP oil change kit and did the first oil change well before the suggested interval.

Did not follow the manual myself. Accomplished the second oil change somewhere around the true recommended interval. After that it has been Mobil 1 sportbike oil.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil Change

My tip would be check your owner's manual. But bottom line, do what you think is best....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Changing the oil now may make you feel better. But it isn't necessary. Modern oils are much better than hey used to be. They are specifically designed to prevent corrosion, etc., in storage. If it were mine, I'd leave it be and change it next spring when I get the 3,000k on it. You can also change your tires, brakes, etc., when they are 1/2 worn. But it isn't necessary.

How quick do you want to start next season if your having dealer change it, best hope you get early appointment before they backlogged with everyone else getting spring fever of course in my area we also contend with ATV’s & mud/ hunting seasons, can become troublesome. All about your comfort levels.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I wouldn't dump out perfectly good oil at 1500 miles. Just make sure your last ride of the year is long enough to fully heat up your oil..
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Looks like a draw....

Toss me in with Ron and the others and leave it be...if you were closer or over the recommended mileage perhaps....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    ………. However, if you are going to change it anyway ….. imho, pull both drain plugs and let it drain for a week …. then fill with oil, run it for 30 seconds and not again until you remove from storage and begin your riding season ….. jmho ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

I'm in same boat, I'm hoping to have around 1000kms not miles before winter storage, changet or don't. What I might do is just drain the oil out and let it sit all winter, come Spring just add new oil and go. Keeping the same oil filter. Thoughts?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie69 View Post
    I'm in same boat, I'm hoping to have around 1000kms not miles before winter storage, changet or don't. What I might do is just drain the oil out and let it sit all winter, come Spring just add new oil and go. Keeping the same oil filter. Thoughts?
    Even if you have heated, dry storage , I wouldn't advise leaving it without Oil in it..... Over that period of time, I believe you will actually have rust begin to coat the internal parts …. and you don't want that ….. On the filter, I agree leave it - it will be fine …. I normally change my oil at about 5,000 mi ….. but I only do the filter once per year ….. Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-09-2019 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display.

Spyder Garage

I'm assuming your odometer is at 1,500 miles, and it hasn't been 1,500 miles since your last oil change.

From the 2019 Spyder F3 Owner's Manual, page 119:

FIRST INSPECTION

We recommend that after the first 5,000 km (3,000 mi) of operation, your vehicle be inspected by an authorized Can-Am On-Road dealer, repair shop, or person of your own choosing. The first maintenance is very important and must not be neglected.

NOTE: The first inspection is at the expense of the vehicle owner.

We recommend that this inspection be signed by the authorized Can-Am On-Road dealer, repair shop, or person of your own choosing having performed the first inspection.
    Below this text, there are a few spaces where the date & signature of the person/shop who did the inspection can be marked.

I'd recommend performing the oil change at 3,000 miles, based on the manual, but more importantly, I'd recommend that you observe the recommendation noted in the manual, in the event that you have a warranty situation with your F3. It's a small chance it'll come up, but I've worked with OEM warranty & service contract companies for almost 10 years, and they will look for any excuse to reject a claim. If nothing else, just make sure you either fill out the first inspection date & signature in your manual, or retain a copy of some paperwork proving that you had that first inspection/oil change performed.
    2019 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Even if you have heated, dry storage , I wouldn't advise leaving it without Oil in it..... Over that period of time, I believe you will actually have rust begin to coat the internal parts …. and you don't want that ….. On the filter, I agree leave it - it will be fine …. I normally change my oil at about 5,000 mi ….. but I only do the filter once per year ….. Mike
    You think if I keep same filter it would be fine? I just might drain the oil and fill with fresh and not bother to change filter, or I might say just leave it lol.

Spyder Garage

You think if I keep same filter it would be fine? I just might drain the oil and fill with fresh and not bother to change filter, or I might say just leave it lol.
    According to BRP the 1330 oil filter only needs to be changed every 9300 mi. …. the amount of oil that might stay on the filter ( after draining oil ) would only be .02% ( or less ) of the total amount in the system, this is a minuscule amount. I buy my K&N oil filters on-line and only paid $ 6.00 ea. ( for 1/2 doz. ). I would definitely keep it full of oil...… Mike

Spyder Garage

Price of a filter just bite the bullet and get it done
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I would change the "oil now", before you put your spyder in for its nap( hibernation). That is just me!

When spring comes you'll be ready to ride.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue