Spyder Garage

Default Is this a Noisy Air Compressor?

I noticed on a weekend ride last week, that there is a noise, which sounds like it is coming from the front, going on and off in short bursts. Most people think that it is the compressor. Oh yeah, it is a 2014 RT Limited with 38,000 miles. The air compressor works, cause I can see that the bike is going up or down, but the sound seems to be getting louder than before when it kicked on and off. On the ride this weekend it seemed to be going on and off about every couple of miles. I need to figure out what's up before I head to Arizona for our 3 month stay in late December.
    I supose it could be the bag leaking, or the lines themselves.
    Suggestions, and opinions would be appreciated.
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White
    2010 Can Am Spyder RT - Full Moon

Spyder Garage

It could be a leak, and you can check that with a bottle of soap and water, spry the heck out of it and look for bubbles! But what happens most of the time is the check valve on the compressors got crap in it and it's leaking by!! It's in a hard spot to get to unless you want to take the tire off! What will happen if it's that, your pumps going to stop for good!!! If it's making a lot more noise than it use to it's most likely on it's way!!! Then you can ether replace the pump, or get in there and unhook the line that comes from the air bag and hook it direct to the Schrader valve under the seat and fill it manually, for the type of riding you like to do. The bag is made for 90 psi and should not be run with no air, you my punch a hole in the bag!! I had to make this change this spring and find that 75-80 psi is good for my wife and I!!! Good luck
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I just had the same thing.
    Very loud noise. I was up at Spyderquest in Lake George.
    Thursday it was so loud, I got concerned. I went to Progressive Motorsports on Friday. They couldn't do anything because they couldn't get the new compressor until the following week.
    Saturday it failed completely. Had I been alone, I suppose I might have been OK, but I was riding two up.
    The bike settled down quite low. So low, that the rear tire contacted the rear fender, and wore the fender away.
    I got home safely on Sunday
    No damage to the tire.
    I had the compressor fixed when I cam home.
    Now everything is all hunky dory. Just in time for me to get the new 2020 RTlimited.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

This is the second post on compressor problems for 2014 RTL's in less than a week. See Rick722 RT air ride on 9/27. The 3 of us have similar mileage.
    Your air compressor is failing. I have a 2014 RTL with 40K miles my compressor is on its way out I can hear it groaning as it fills the air bag. Even though the dealer confirmed my diagnosis I have to wait until it fails completely before having it replaced under the extended warranty. I do not have the BEST extended warranty but BEST probably has the same requirement.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LongIsland View Post
    This is the second post on compressor problems for 2014 RTL's in less than a week. See Rick722 RT air ride on 9/27. The 3 of us have similar mileage.
    Your air compressor is failing. I have a 2014 RTL with 40K miles my compressor is on its way out I can hear it groaning as it fills the air bag. Even though the dealer confirmed my diagnosis I have to wait until it fails completely before having it replaced under the extended warranty. I do not have the BEST extended warranty but BEST probably has the same requirement.
    Ya the problem we all have is that there isn't any filter on the compressor cleaning the air going in, so the check valve will stick or the pump will just wear out from wear in tear!! It's one of those self destructive items!! I didn't really find myself changing the pressure a lot and don't really miss that benefit! Then you have the dump valve, and leveling assembly that can act up also, I really don't see the benefit of the whole assembly, other than when it works it's great but when it don't it takes some good coin to fix, unless you have a warranty!! Good day!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl