Thread: CVT belt life

Spyder Garage

Default CVT belt life

Stopped in my Can Am dealer last night. Told service rep. that I had replaced my CVT belt at roughly 11,500 miles as the warning message began to stream across my screen. I told him that the old bell looked in great condition to me. His response:

If not abused, these belts can last 50,000 miles.

From the looks of my old belt, I believe him.

Spyder Garage

So, the message here is inspect at 12,000 miles; replace as necessary?
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

There's always a great debate as when to replace parts. Does the warning come on too soon? Is BRP just wanting to sell parts? How long will the part actually last?

The big question is: How much damage will occur if the part breaks when you are going down the road a 60 miles per hour? Will it just damage the bike and how much? Will it cause you to wreck?

Who really knows the answers to those questions? I for one, change wear parts at the recommended intervals. I don't want to be the guy that learns the hard way, the answers to the questions above.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tslepebull View Post
    So, the message here is inspect at 12,000 miles; replace as necessary?
    I'm sure the belt will last longer than 12K miles but..........It's not something that can be changed quickly on the road if it breaks. The same belt in a snowmobile will last 3-5K miles (snowmobiles are much more demanding on the belt) but if you break one while riding you can change it out quickly (5-10 minutes) without issue. The reason being, its easy to access on a snowmobile. Open the side panel, open the guard the belt is fully exposed. That's not the case on the Ryker. I'd rather spend the $ every 12K miles (or there abouts) to have it changed than be towed home because it breaks while riding.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    There's always a great debate as when to replace parts. Does the warning come on too soon? Is BRP just wanting to sell parts? How long will the part actually last?

The big question is: How much damage will occur if the part breaks when you are going down the road a 60 miles per hour? Will it just damage the bike and how much? Will it cause you to wreck?

Who really knows the answers to those questions? I for one, change wear parts at the recommended intervals. I don't want to be the guy that learns the hard way, the answers to the questions above.
    A broken CVT belt isn't (or in most cases) going to damage anything and it shouldn't lead to an accident either. The belt breaks (really they shred) and the bike will coast until it stops. Cleaning up a shredded belt is a dirty mess but........

Spyder Garage

Cost?
    "IT'S BETTER TO BE SHOT OUT OF A CANNON THAN SQUEEZED OUT OF A TUBE"-Dr. HS Thompson

Spyder Garage

You could always carry a spare belt as you pass 12K miles. so you'll have one ready to install in the unlikely event it breaks.

Spyder Garage

I would want to ask the question, what is driving that message that's being given by the bike!!! Is it millage driven or is there a sender unit in there that tell you if its wearing out!! If it blows It's going to most likey be like blowing a belt on a sled or four wheeler it will just stop and not go any further! If the belt starts to get narrow it will slip and you will find the rpms will be higher than normal, and it will heat up then blow!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

There is no sending unit in the CVT. It must be using Input from odometer/RPM and/or something else.

I had this confirmed from a Can Am service mgr.

This weekend, I will post pictures of my old belt and you can make your own judgment.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I would want to ask the question, what is driving that message that's being given by the bike!!! Is it millage driven or is there a sender unit in there that tell you if its wearing out!! If it blows It's going to most likey be like blowing a belt on a sled or four wheeler it will just stop and not go any further! If the belt starts to get narrow it will slip and you will find the rpms will be higher than normal, and it will heat up then blow!!!
    Pardon the ignorant question, because I am not knowledgeable on the subject, but.....if the belt has gear teeth on it why would it getting "narrow" necessarily cause it to slip? Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question, but I do not know much about this type of machine.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The belt does have "teeth" on it but (although not required) they are there for heat dissipation not to engage a gear. The belt works by the edges being squeezed between the clutch faces. As the belt wears it losses width and at some point is not wide enough to do its job (grip the clutch faces).

Spyder Garage

Thank you for your patient response. That does make sense, now that you explained it.

Spyder Garage

There are videos on YouTube showing how a CVT works. Be sure you look at one for a bike or ATV, not a car.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

OK, here are some pictures of my 11,600 mile belt. You be the judge. Should it be replaced?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How does it measure up to the new belt? cueman

Spyder Garage

Wow! Admittedly, it's always hard to really tell just from a pic, but that CVT belt looks to be in pretty good condition!!

Orright, if I was planning on heading out into the remote wilds far from any chance of help (ie, hundreds, if not thousands of miles type far! ) then I'd probably replace it anyway; but for the sorts of places most are likely to be able to reach on their Rykers, then to me, that belt looks good for at least another 5000 miles, and possibly a whole LOT more!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

they checked my Belt on my 900 Ace at 9.400 miles and it still has 1,5" - told me that I should change when it is less than 1,44" - so it should not be a problem to reach the 12.000 miles !!
    but there is also a "stronger" Version for the 900 Turbo - I don`t know if that would fit also,just if someone uses a tuned engine !?!
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

I know with snowmobiles they tell you to break your belts in easy and they will last longer! Go the first 200 miles not hammering the gas, no long high speed runs for a lot of miles, let it cool down and then give it another heat cycle! Don't know if it will help with the life of a Ryker belt or if it really matters, some of the hard compounds they make these things today are amazing! And the way they close the belts up in a small area where the belt dust and crap have no place to go. You would think the clutches and belts would be falling off the darn things, but they don't!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RykerUSA View Post
    OK, here are some pictures of my 11,600 mile belt. You be the judge. Should it be replaced?

mine one was checked now with 9.400 miles (15.000 kms ) and it still has a width of 37,9 mm (new it was 38,3 mm) - I should change it before it reaches 36,7 mm !!
    seems it will hold much much longer than BRP is calculating ??

whats your width now ???
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If I just quick figured correctly in my head, you may be able to get approximately 50,000 miles on the belt. cueman

Spyder Garage

Go till it starts to slip or blows, then you know you got your moneys worth out of it!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl