GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Talking My Time at Spyders in the Ozarks -- 2019

Some photos, and a summary, of my recent trip to Springfield, MO for Spyders in the Ozarks. Amazingly, I was too immersed in the event to take any photos of my own (even though I had my phone with me) … will give credit where I can, if I remember where I got them.

Amazing trip! Larry (my better half, aka hogcowboy) just could not make that long ride, his back and ankle are quite painful, and I had my heart set on making the event, and staying for the duration (instead of leaving early as we did last year). So, I had put together a small group that was to ride with the East Texas Spyder Riders, meeting in Durant, OK on Wednesday September 18th – all but two of us backed out (family and work commitments). So, it was just me on my RT Limited and Bill Jimenez (ride captain for the East Texas group) on his F3 Limited that made the long journey. Felt a little odd at first … but, hey, we are both adults and in strong marriages, so no concerns. Anyway, the trip up to Springfield was 519.2 miles on September 18th (with the first 117.6 miles solo from Bowie) – it was fast, covering that distance in 10.5 hours. I was surprised that I still had the energy to take in Lambert’s Café (home of the throwed rolls) that evening!

The event was in full swing Thursday through Saturday – a small group of four made a nice long ride to Eureka Springs for lunch at the Cathouse Lounge Thursday. Larger group was also in Eureka Springs, but they arrived a little later than we did. Ran into some nice cold rain on the way back to Lamonster Garage … not even enough to put rain gear on. The group ride on Friday was to Peel Ferry, with my motion sickness I had already decided to skip this ride and just hang out at the shop (helping out where I could). GOOD DECISION … engine overheated about 2 miles from Lamonster Garage. Nursed it to the shop over the next hour, stopping twice more (after assurance from Spyderpops Harvey Clark that it was okay to do so). Tim, their mechanic got right on it and had me all fixed up in about an hour (clogged radiators and a slightly loose radiator cap had allowed the coolant to boil). Saturdays ride was to Cape Fair for lunch at Flat Creek … about 40 Spyders and motorcycles made the journey through the winding roads of the Ozarks. The pace was just perfect, not too fast or slow, and we stayed together very well through the entire ride. More excellent food! Some of the best catfish I have had … even Joan Wise Bryden liked it (and she doesn’t like catfish). Topped the event off with a little BBQ at Lamonster Garage Saturday evening.

Sunday, September 22nd, pulled out of the hotel parking lot at about 6:30AM with intentions of making about a 490 mile journey home. Both Bill and I had problems with our GPS units, so we got off course a few times. We also had to trade off the lead as his GPS would take us one way and we knew that was wrong, where mine dumped it’s route memory on the way to Fayetteville. Because of the GPS mishaps, we ended up on some really nice motorcycle roads that added distance and time to the ride. Rode all the way to Durant, OK together and then Bill went south as I continued west. We ran into rain just outside Durant but it was not raining when we got there. I ran into rain heading into Madill, OK for about 15 minutes and again as I rode further west on 32 towards the 89 cutoff south. Was watching what looked like a pretty severe storm to the south and, even though I was in the dry at my turn off, I opted to continue on 32 all the way to Ryan, OK and then turned south on 81 to home. Total miles home 543.2 in about 12.5 hours, with the last 136.1 solo.

Total miles for the trip 1426.9, so I did several hundred miles of riding around the Ozarks. Was disappointed that Larry could not come on this ride, it felt odd without him out on the road with me and even stranger in the evenings when I was alone. Thank you, sweetie, for supporting me … even from a distance (I know you worried all day Sunday that I was going to end up in horrible rain like we did in 2018). I am glad I made the trip and hope that Larry will make the next long one with me (even if we have to spit rides up and back over a few days). Oh, and yes, I want to go back next year!

Was surprised that I did not run into ARTRAVELER … if you were their, sorry to have missed you. Bottom line … if you like events that focus on riding, this is an event you don't want to miss!
    LambertsCafe.jpgLambertsCafe2.jpgEurekaSpringsRide.jpgEurekaSpringsLunch.jpgFlatCreekLunch.jpgFlatCreekSign.jpg
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nice write-up. Makes me think about going next year.
    2014 RTL Platinum

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Nice write-up. Makes me think about going next year.
    Do it! This is truly a riding event and one that you can make "your own" .. you don't have to do the group rides (didn't the first day or second day). I have no doubt I will be back next year.

All the best …Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Spyder Garage

Great write up I’d really like to make that event. ARtraveler is a myth by the way he doesn’t really exist
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Bull!I had dinner with him tonight!! He is in Oklahoma. Great guy! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Agreed AR is a great guy, I hope to meet him someday.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

What a great, heart felt write up, Ann. It’s stories like yours that reflect my sentiments since I hopped on my first spyder in 2010. I’ve had the blessing and grace to have ridden well over 100K on 3 Spyders over the ensuing 9 years. The reflections in your words say it all. The experiences only grow around the people and the places met and visited. It’s a world I’ve never been able to get enough of. Spyders in the Ozarks is one of the best, every time. Thanks for sharing!
    And, BTW, ARtraveler is most definitely real. I had the extreme pleasure to meet and talk with both he and his wife, coincidentally as I was on my way to SITO.
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Spyder Garage

I was not able to make it to the SITO meet. Was at Lamonster Garage about a month earlier for service and tires on both Spyders.

Going to try to make more events. Curently at the Green River Spyder Jamboree in Grove OK. Met up so far with Murphy Brown, Ann & Joe.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Really..!! thought he moved to Arkansas... at least his moniker changed from AK to AR.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Really..!! thought he moved to Arkansas... at least his moniker changed from AK to AR.....
    I see the

Yes, moved from AK to AR. At a Spyder Rally in OK now. Hope to get to more next year. Been a very busy summer.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Good times

Sounds like you had a good time, raikn not withstanding.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited