Spyder Garage

Default Comfort Seat for 2014 RT-S

I was thinking of getting a comfort seat for my 2014 RT-S. I realize that it will give the rider an extra two inches of seating but does this take away from the passenger area? And I have the factory backrest now so will that work with the comfort seat?20190831_190716.jpg

Spyder Garage

Literally just finished installing my new BRP comfort seat on my 2014 RTL. Got the wife on the back, and she says she doesn't see a difference as far as the available room. I, on the other hand, immediately noticed a huge difference from old to new!! Can't wait to get out on the road tomorrow to see how it feels!

I have heard rumor that the old backrest will not fit on the comfort seat. This is a darn shame to not be able to use a perfectly good backrest on the new seat! Shame on you, BRP!! On the flip side, I now have a good seat and backrest I am willing to sell and/or trade for a backrest that fits the BRP comfort seat! Any takers?!?
    2014 RTL , Gray

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bill W. View Post
    Literally just finished installing my new BRP comfort seat on my 2014 RTL. Got the wife on the back, and she says she doesn't see a difference as far as the available room. I, on the other hand, immediately noticed a huge difference from old to new!! Can't wait to get out on the road tomorrow to see how it feels!

I have heard rumor that the old backrest will not fit on the comfort seat. This is a darn shame to not be able to use a perfectly good backrest on the new seat! Shame on you, BRP!! On the flip side, I now have a good seat and backrest I am willing to sell and/or trade for a backrest that fits the BRP comfort seat! Any takers?!?

Where did you buy your seat? From a dealer or on line? How long did it take to get once you ordered. I gotta change my stock seat.

Spyder Garage

Got it from the local dealer. Could have saved $10 and bought it online, but I've never had any problems with the dealer, so what the heck. $601.34 with tax, and I had to go pick it up. Ordered it on Saturday, got it today. Not bad! Now I've got to find a backrest!
    2014 RTL , Gray

Spyder Garage

The reason the old backrest will not fit on the Comfort Seat is that the mount for the Comfort Seat is different. You need the Adjustable Driver Backrest support for Comfort Seat - Upgrade Kit, PN 219400683, $79.99.

The reason the Comfort Seat doesn't impinge on the passenger seating area can be seen in the pictures below, stock seat on L and Comfort Seat on R. Note the difference in how the triangular area at the seat mounting point is shortened on the Comfort Seat. Now if the passenger is circumferentially challenged that may be a different story.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bill W. View Post
    Got it from the local dealer. Could have saved $10 and bought it online, but I've never had any problems with the dealer, so what the heck. $601.34 with tax, and I had to go pick it up. Ordered it on Saturday, got it today. Not bad! Now I've got to find a backrest!
    Thanks for the response. I know there are plenty of reviews on this seat, but there more reviews I read the better I am informed of the good/bad. Please update us after the next ride.

Spyder Garage

Jarvis, I have 62.9K on my Comfort Seat having had it on the bike since Day 1. FWIW, I rode it for 3 1/2 years without a backrest but purchased a BRP adjustable one in the spring of '18. I have been very well pleased with the seat from the get go and with the backrest I find I am less tired at the end of long touring days than I was without it.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the replies. I am getting some highway pegs probably tomorrow and see if the helps at all. I am leaning towards the comfort seat vs aftermarket. Then if needed will add a backrest.

Spyder Garage

Many of us who have opted for the Comfort Seat or other third party seats that move the driver rearward changed the reach to the handlebars which necessitated a switch to the Tri-Axis bars. You should be aware of this and the possibility that you MIGHT have to make a similar, expensive move.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

So, JayBros, are you saying it is possible for me to use my OEM backrest on my new comfort seat IF I purchase the comfort seat upgrade kit PN 219400683, $79.99?? Could it be that easy??
    2014 RTL , Gray

Spyder Garage

I am not 100% certain but if the BRP backrest you have now is an adjustable one, yes, you just need the adapter kit for the mount. It's because the mounting holes are different on the Comfort Seat. If your BRP backrest is not adjustable, I THINK the adapter for the Comfort Seat will give you two benefits, 1, your backrest will now be adjustable, and 2, it will work on the Comfort Seat, but I am not positive about #1. It might be worth a check with a dealer or you could verify with BRP at 877-412-7467.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

I had the Comfort Seat on my 14 RT and it served me well for 123,000 miles.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    The reason the old backrest will not fit on the Comfort Seat is that the mount for the Comfort Seat is different. You need the Adjustable Driver Backrest support for Comfort Seat - Upgrade Kit, PN 219400683, $79.99.

The reason the Comfort Seat doesn't impinge on the passenger seating area can be seen in the pictures below, stock seat on L and Comfort Seat on R. Note the difference in how the triangular area at the seat mounting point is shortened on the Comfort Seat. Now if the passenger is circumferentially challenged that may be a different story.
    I switched to the comfort seat on my 2019 Spyder RTL. The mount that attaches to the underside of the seat fit the comfort seat, however the backrest intruded into the drivers space and would not go all the way down. I had the dealership order the above mention kit prior to install thinking it was a different mount. However the kit did not have a different mount but appeared to allow a modification to the backrest itself, as such dealer did not install it. (Said the mount. Plate fits both seats)
    So I left the dealership where I purchased the bike (I purchased bike one month ago and they wanted me to be happy with seat and backrest.) and went to the one I use to service it. They made no promises that the kit would solve the problem. I had them order one and I will see if it will work with the original seat mount installed on my comfort seat. Should be here in a few days and I will report back. I hope that by modifying the backrest it will fit in the mount, if not I just waisted 85.00 and will have to order the comfort seat backrest kit for another 400.00

Spyder Garage

Default Did not work

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post

I bought a comfort seat recently for my 2019 Ryder rt limited. I also ordered the upgrade kit noted above hoping my original seat backrest would work. Dealer installed comfort seat and put the original piece that mounts under the seat to hold backrest. He said the original seat mounting plate fit no problem. Told me the kit did not contain a new mount that installs under the seat. Although my original seat backrest installed, it was unusable as it protruded two inches toward the front of the bike than it should. I removed the backrest and the dealer sent the upgrade kit back. Looks like I got to buy a new custom seat backrest if I want it. Due to the cost I am undecided at this time. Really disappointed.