Spyder Garage

Default Riding the Blue Ridge Parkway

I test drove a Spyder for about 5 hours on the Blue Ridge Parkway. When we were coming back, I started having a lot of hand & leg pain. Is that normal for a new driver or normal for all the curves in the road? I’m in a dilemma because now I’m not sure whether to get one or not . Any advice or help is appreciated.

Spyder Garage

what type of Spyder were you riding?
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Spyder Garage

Lots of new grip the bars to tightly ( the dreaded death grip ) . If the front wheels are correctly aligned---- a much lighter touch on the bars is all that's needed. You do use leg and core muscles on curvy roads.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Lots of new grip the bars to tightly ( the dreaded death grip ) . If the front wheels are correctly aligned---- a much lighter touch on the bars is all that's needed. You do use leg and core muscles on curvy roads.
    very much with this post answer ….. also it really takes awhile to gain confidence in any Spyder …. they are sooooooooo different from two wheel Mtc's…… it cause new riders anxiety and that causes them to tense up …. this is very tiring to your muscles …. it may counter-productive but the more relaxed you are ( within in limits ) the easier it will be …. good luck and keep at it ……. Mike

Spyder Garage

My first test ride I had the same issue. I'd read on here about the issue, but still had to consciously make myself relax. Of course I've run into this issue on new two-wheelers as well. I've noticed since I started using the (non adjustable) drivers back rest that I tend to push on the bars causing some elbow pain. I think I'm trying to press myself against the back rest. I'm thinking I need to spend the $70 for the adjustable back rest.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

RT LTD 2018, looking to buy 2016 SS

Spyder Garage

Five (5) hours is a very long test ride on any vehicle that you are not familiar with. Occasionally my right hand & wrist go numb from holding the throttle handle too tight. I'd say you definitely qualified to purchase one. I have a 2015 F3's set up with a stiffer suspension, the larger Spyder's are probably more comfortable on long rides. 5 hour test ride = WOW
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

I also agree with this. You were most likely working much harder than you needed to due to inexperience. Once you get the hang of the Spyder you become much more efficient with your energy. The RSS (if that is what you meant) should have somewhat lighter steering than the RT you test drove.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Don't give up, and if you get to test drive another one go some where with less curves and relax!!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl