Spyder Garage

Default Oh no, another trailer question!

I presently haul my 2011 RT from Ohio to Florida about twice a year. The trailer is a 5 foot six inch by 12 open trailer. (five and a half foot).

My wife wants me to get a bigger, enclosed trailer. I'm thinking a 6 x 14 tandem enclosed. I do NOT want to go wider than 6 foot. So my question: does anyone haul a Spyder RT in a 6 foot enclosed trailer?

Problems tying down?
    Problems with the door cables being in the way?
    Are newer Can Am Spyder RTs the same width if I were to upgrade to newer?

I like my 5 foot 6 inch trailer because it is narrow. The bike just slips in.

Thanks for the replies!
    Ride safe!

2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

6 by 12 Continental Cargo. A little over an inch clearance on each side of ramp entrance.

20180618_183439 (1).jpg 20180618_183510 (1).jpg
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Be sure to get a trailer with "V" nose, not a flat nose. You'll get much better gas mileage.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    Be sure to get a trailer with "V" nose, not a flat nose. You'll get much better gas mileage.
    Wish I would have done that. It does have a rounded top though, which is nice. Water doesn’t pool on top so avoiding rust down the line.
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I'd suggest a 6 1/2 x 12. The extra bit makes a difference. I have a 6 x 12 enclosed cargo trailer and my 14 RT won't fit. I've rolled the bike up the ramp but it was too tight. You could also remove the fenders but that's a bit extreme.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daz View Post

My wife wants me to get a bigger, enclosed trailer. I'm thinking a 6 x 14 tandem enclosed. I do NOT want to go wider than 6 foot. So my question: does anyone haul a Spyder RT in a 6 foot enclosed trailer?

Problems tying down?

Thanks for the replies!
    I thought I had it made! I had a 6X12 enclosed Pace cargo trailer with ramp door that I used to haul my Harley back and forth to Florida. Guess what? My new 2019 Spyder RTL would not fit through the door opening! Too narrow by about 1.5". Turns out that the 6 foot measurement is to the outside of the walls, so subtract wall thickness, then subtract door frame, my spyder is 5'2.5" wide, aw shoot! So I now have a 7 X 14 tandem axle all aluminum enclosed trailer with adequate room all around.

Spyder Garage

I presently haul my 2011 RT from Ohio to Florida about twice a year. The trailer is a 5 foot six inch by 12 open trailer. (five and a half foot).

Problems tying down?

Thanks for the replies!
    I thought I had it made! I had a 6X12 enclosed Pace cargo trailer with ramp door that I used to haul my Harley back and forth to Florida. Guess what? My new 2019 Spyder RTL would not fit through the door opening! Too narrow by about 1.5". So I now have a 7 X 14 tandem axle all aluminum enclosed trailer with adequate room all around.

Spyder Garage

Apparently BRAND makes a difference. My 2014 rt will fit in my continental cargo trailer.(6x14) About 3/4 inch clearance at the cables.Slow & easy going in and no problem.

Spyder Garage

Where did you find the wheel chocks?

Jim

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimboRTS View Post
    Where did you find the wheel chocks?

Jim
    Etrailer.com

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

They ride in the rain. Waterproof! Hold what you got. You could have it professionally detailed after every trip, and still save thousands! Better still - ride it!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Problems tying down?

Thanks for the replies!
    If the inside DOOR width opening gives at least 1 1/2 in. clearance on either side ( of the fender measurement ) you can do what I did ( mine was only One inch ) ….. I placed wooden runners for the outside of the tires & screwed them into the deck of the trailer...… this will keep you Spyder away from the walls …. this is similar to what is in every Car Wash machine I have ever seen ….. as far as tie-downs, I posted years ago that placing a HD ratchet strap over the rear tire ( securing the ends to the floor ) will prevent the Spyder from moving at all …. and will not dent or scratch or bend any parts of your Spyder …. it's the way Transports of High dollar cars ( like Mecum Auctions ) do it in their TT units …… there pics posted on this forum of folks who are doing it this way …… good luck and ...………. Mike

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 7×16 Trailer

Just my 2 cents. I use an enclosed trailer that is 7'×16'. WHY ? EAZY TO LOAD. Also have a nice area to stow away extra camping gear.....
    ps: the trailer is a 7×16 enclosed v-nosed Legend
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue