Thread: tires on front

Spyder Garage

Default tires on front

thinking of putting verdestein rt-175/55r15 on front .leaving rear stock ( 3500miles).hoping to have a better stable ride.will it be ok to leave rear with original?

Spyder Garage

That should be good, if it's not actually the rear tire that's the cause of any instability you might be concerned about (but it could be the rear tire causing the issues, even if you might THINK it's the fronts! )

Sooo, changing the front tires & leaving the rear Kenda as is... for as long as it still lasts; IF it still lasts!! might just work. There again, I got just over 1000 miles more than you have now before my original rear tire was worn right down to the canvas! It went from showing tread well above the wear bars to a 3" wide strip of tattered canvas right down the middle of the tread in less than 400ish miles, and it did that while I was about 600 miles from anywhere that I had any chance of getting a replacement The OE Spec Kendas have been known to wear that last bit of centre tread out extremely rapidly, especially the 'soft compound' 2014 tires - altho to be fair, BRP did go back to the harder compound tires by 2015 and the Kendas have been slooowwwly getting progressively better since about 2016... but they still barely rate as black round things good enough to keep the metal off the ground, let alone as performance tires!!

So go ahead & change the front tires to the Vredesteins; the ride, handling, and traction from up front should be a lot better once you've done that - just don't be too surprised if you don't experience any big improvements all round until you change the rear out too! Sorry...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-02-2019 at 08:23 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

My partner is riding with car tyres on the front and a Kenda on the rear, simply because we had one on the shelf which needed using. The Spyder handles fine with that set up, very slightly less directionally stable than fully car tyre but much, much better than with Kenda original fronts. I think you'll be fine. 27-28psi rear, 17 front.
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by demotte View Post
    thinking of putting verdestein rt-175/55r15 on front .leaving rear stock ( 3500miles).hoping to have a better stable ride.will it be ok to leave rear with original?
    Yes, don't worry about it.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Putting 165/55 Federal s on the front sure improved the smoothness and quietness of my 2017 RTS. I have the General Altimax on the rear. Great set up

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Peter what are you running on the front of your RT
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by demotte View Post
    When I first did mine whit the same tire, I left the back tire in place and it was not a problem. After seeing how much I like the fronts I went and head and replace the rear, my first ride on them longer than the local area I rode about 4 hours in pouring rain at speeds up 65 mph and on different road surfaces, and grades. I have much more confidence going into curves while pushing the limits.
    To be continued....

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chasinsparks View Post
    When I first did mine whit the same tire, I left the back tire in place and it was not a problem. After seeing how much I like the fronts I went and head and replace the rear, my first ride on them longer than the local area I rode about 4 hours in pouring rain at speeds up 65 mph and on different road surfaces, and grades. I have much more confidence going into curves while pushing the limits.
    So to be clear you changed your rear tire to a Vredestein Quatrac 5 also ……. and were very pleased with the way it handled in the rain …… the reason I'm posting this is, folks like to hear about actual tire use on a Spyder. Not just the ratings by other sources …..Thanks ….. Mike .... PS: no one here has racked up any long term mileage reports, so if / when you do let everyone know

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by askitee View Post
    Peter what are you running on the front of your RT
    Yeah, not quite gonna be all that helpful right now, cos atm I'm pretty much in the middle of doing some 'Spyder handling and size testing' on a few different tires: Bridgestone Potenzas, Bridgestone Ecopias, Kumho 4X KU22's, and a couple of different sets of Hankooks (but their specific labels elude me for now.... )

When I'm not playing with someone else's tires, cars, &/or Spyders, the last set of tires I ran up front on the Spyder were Kumho Ecowings in 175/60R15's, all up a pretty good 'Sport/Touring' tire for SE Aust's generally wet winter conditions that can still handle some long, hot, & dry miles Inland a bit. Got 35,000 km out of them, but unless one of the mobs mentioned above doesn't want their tires back & doesn't want an arm & a leg for them, then I'll very likely be looking for some new Spyder tires quite soon! Got a Nullarbor trip coming up early/mid next year (Spyder Muster WA in 2020 www.spydermuster.com.au ) & want something that'll take us there, tour the SW for a few weeks/month or so, and then get us home again.... with at least some winter ryding tread left!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-03-2019 at 01:20 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!