Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Bring your dog! You would benefit from a training class, come to Las Vegas and I’ll teach you.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Quartermain View Post
    Thanks, Peter. I have heard that you should push with outside hand, pull with inside, don't pull, don't push etc. Guess it's who is telling you what works for them.
    As I stated at first, I don't have any trouble making the turn, or even maintaining it through the curve. It's doing it at the speed that other traffic (bikes, cars, turtles, Nuns in station wagons) are maintaining. I feel I shouldnt have to brake for any gradual curve on a super highway, for example, but something inside says slow down, here comes that FEELING again. Downhill left's are a scary example, because the roads in this goofy state, while being crowned, actually go very slightly off-camber through the curve, which for me, seems to exacerbate the "feeling".
    Once again, Thanks to all for listening (and chuckling).
    I think it's way too easy to "overthink" this. It's a matter of confidence, and you get confidence with experience. And until you get that confidence, why not just ride slow, at speeds at which you ARE comfortable? So you have to slow down a lot to make yourself comfortable in curves. So what if you take the curve at less than the posted speed limit. It doesn't matter. You're supposed to be out there enjoying yourself, not worrying about what anybody else thinks and not worrying about how far you have to lean over or whether you push or pull the handlebars. You do what comes naturally. Go the speed at which you are comfortable and don't feel the need for a death grip.

Speed and confidence will come. Jeff Gordon didn't drive 200 mph the first time he got a driver's license, either.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

since everyone is weighing in, guess I will too. Don't think you need to hang off like Freddy Spencer, as our Euro=brother suggested.
    For me personally, I use a mild head and shoulder shift to the inside of the turn. Nothing extreme actually fairly subtle. It is after all, your head that feels the centrifugal force. Also, and a lot of folks pointed this out, you maybe just barely/kind of know your RT. When you smooth out your entire experience
    the cornering experience will smooth out too. Hang in there, it is worth the learning.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would suggest a laser alignment would help. If the spyder is in a toe out condition it will not corner well. Lean into the corner and enjoy.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 3 Wheel Classes

Maybe you should try a Spyder's Training Class. Also someone taking a little video might be the trick. I know from my learning curve, that 'You Can Do It'. For me it took about 3 months and 1000 miles. Enjoy your Time and Always RYDE SAFE....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    The learning curve for me was very steep. It took me some time before I didn't feel exactly as you do now. I just couldn't bring myself to trust the vehicle.

I don't usually recommend my sway bar kit for newer riders. Only because to fully appreciate it, most riders need to become both familiar and fairly comfortable with their Spyder. But I have had customers call me saying that they have just about given up on their Spyder for the very reasons you reference. But decided to give my sway bar a shot as a last ditch effort to keep it. More often with 2 up riders than single riders. But I've had both.

I try to avoid 'Pushing' my products. I think it somewhat tacky in a form like this. I am suggesting this only because I genuinely feel it may go a long way towards resolving your core issues. Just my opinion, of course. But whatever you decided to do. I highly recommend not giving up. Continue to relax and try to ride in such a way that you enjoy the experience. The improvement will come.
    Good comment by BajaRon, keep at it until you trust your machine, that's important and only comes with the miles, only then you will feel comfortable an that takes patience.

Spyder Garage

I felt the same way in the beginning. As others have said I felt much better after several thousand miles. One more thing that helped me: I was looking at the road too close to me, trying to maintain my spacing to the road stripe. That made me way too jerky with my steering corrections. I finally learned to look way down the road or at the vehicle in front of me. That made my corrections much smoother. Like landing an airplane, don’t spot the runway right in front of you, look way down the runway and you get a better view of where you stand. That made it much easier for me to stay steady and the steering came naturally without me having to concentrate on it so much.

2022 Spyder RT Limited Sea to Sky Mystery Blue

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Living in Canton, you indeed live in one of the greatest areas for spirited curve riding. I am a few hours away in the Cary/Apex area. As others have said, it will take practice and more practice to get comfortable. As far as changing out items such as sway bars and etc., I would wait on that. I still have the stock sway bar and have yet to come across many, if any that can leave me in the twisties. I do plan on upgrading, just to see how fast I can be. I had wanted to do it before the Maggie Valley rally, but life got in the way, and my wife is coming with me this time, so a more "comfortable" pace will be the word of the week. If I ever get to meet you there, or on another of our 3-4 mountain trips that we take, I would be glad to ride with you and give you any advice that might help. But it sounds to me like you just need to relax, practice, and go at your own pace. Things will get faster as you go along. Also, when riding 2 up, tire pressure and air pressure in the shocks can make a huge difference. Good Luck, and maybe I will see you next week. We arrive on Wednesday, and head home on Sunday. This year we will be staying in Boone, and just coming down to Maggie Valley for 1 day.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Living in Canton, you indeed live in one of the greatest areas for spirited curve riding. I am a few hours away in the Cary/Apex area. As others have said, it will take practice and more practice to get comfortable. As far as changing out items such as sway bars and etc., I would wait on that. I still have the stock sway bar and have yet to come across many, if any that can leave me in the twisties. I do plan on upgrading, just to see how fast I can be. I had wanted to do it before the Maggie Valley rally, but life got in the way, and my wife is coming with me this time, so a more "comfortable" pace will be the word of the week. If I ever get to meet you there, or on another of our 3-4 mountain trips that we take, I would be glad to ride with you and give you any advice that might help. But it sounds to me like you just need to relax, practice, and go at your own pace. Things will get faster as you go along. Also, when riding 2 up, tire pressure and air pressure in the shocks can make a huge difference. Good Luck, and maybe I will see you next week. We arrive on Wednesday, and head home on Sunday. This year we will be staying in Boone, and just coming down to Maggie Valley for 1 day.
    Many thanks to all who responded. Was up on the Blue Ridge today and did pretty well. Seem to like left turns more than right. I'll get there.(May be late, but I'll get there.)
    Hope to see you ALL in Maggie-Al

Spyder Garage

I have had much the same set of issues as the OP here (and indeed, it gets better and better with every mile I ride), and I notice one odd thing: if I am following some other vehicle - a car or truck - and concentrating more on keeping my distance from it, I hardly notice curves which would give me white knuckles if I were riding through them all on my own. I don't know why this is so, but it definitely IS, and this convinces me, "Dude, it's all in your head. Hang tough."

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BearBait View Post
    I have had much the same set of issues as the OP here (and indeed, it gets better and better with every mile I ride), and I notice one odd thing: if I am following some other vehicle - a car or truck - and concentrating more on keeping my distance from it, I hardly notice curves which would give me white knuckles if I were riding through them all on my own. I don't know why this is so, but it definitely IS, and this convinces me, "Dude, it's all in your head. Hang tough."
    It is always easier to follow someone through curves as it eliminates the unknown factor of whether or not you are going too fast. It gives you a definite point of reference. Seeing someone else do it in front of you gives you the confidence to try it yourself. This, of course, assumes you are not exceeding yours or the vehicles abilities.

For most of us, the limiting factor is not the machine.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quartermain, as you know the Spyder IS different in several ways, and of course one of those is cornering. What your brain and body is used to after all those years of riding on 2 wheels is the fact your body never encountered a sideways push on it in corners. Why? Because you were leaning. The center of gravity of your bike and body was above the seat, somewhere in your torso. When you went around curves the centrifugal force pushing your bike and body outward was countered by the pull of gravity. If you could stop instantly in the curve you would fall over because the center of gravity would be inside the track of the tires. Since the centrifugal force is balanced by the pull of gravity the net force on your body was directed right at the tire track pushing you down into the seat. Your body felt no sideways push. Because a Spyder stays level in the corner there is no gravity pull inside of the tire track wanting to tip you over because your center of gravity is directly above the centerline of the bike track. Now the net force on your body pulls you to the outside. Think about when you've gone around a curve really hard in a car. You were pushed sideways, right? The same thing is happening now on the Spyder. Your brain is saying, "I'm on a motorcycle. Why am I feeling pushed to the outside?" Well, it's because you are not leaning. Your brain doesn't raise a fuss when you are in a car, does it? As others have said, your brain needs to reprogram itself, and that can take time.

It's all a matter of vector algebra. If you're not familiar with that math of science I believe you can learn enough to understand what's going on by Googling vector algebra.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Quartermain, as you know the Spyder IS different in several ways, and of course one of those is cornering. What your brain and body is used to after all those years of riding on 2 wheels is the fact your body never encountered a sideways push on it in corners. Why? Because you were leaning. The center of gravity of your bike and body was above the seat, somewhere in your torso. When you went around curves the centrifugal force pushing your bike and body outward was countered by the pull of gravity. If you could stop instantly in the curve you would fall over because the center of gravity would be inside the track of the tires. Since the centrifugal force is balanced by the pull of gravity the net force on your body was directed right at the tire track pushing you down into the seat. Your body felt no sideways push. Because a Spyder stays level in the corner there is no gravity pull inside of the tire track wanting to tip you over because your center of gravity is directly above the centerline of the bike track. Now the net force on your body pulls you to the outside. Think about when you've gone around a curve really hard in a car. You were pushed sideways, right? The same thing is happening now on the Spyder. Your brain is saying, "I'm on a motorcycle. Why am I feeling pushed to the outside?" Well, it's because you are not leaning. Your brain doesn't raise a fuss when you are in a car, does it? As others have said, your brain needs to reprogram itself, and that can take time.

It's all a matter of vector algebra. If you're not familiar with that math of science I believe you can learn enough to understand what's going on by Googling vector algebra.
    Thanks for your input, Idaho. I do understand the principles of vector algebra, as I am one of those "analytical" guys who seem to figure out the reasons for why things do what they do.
    As I said a few times, I know it is all in my noggin. And I AM getting better. Yesterday I rode through Maggie to the parkway, rode down to the end in Cherokee, picked up US 19 North, which is twisty as all get out, and never once dropped below the posted speeds. Just love living in this area!
    Again, many thanks to all. Your comments and suggestions really helped! Hope to see you all next week in my back yard (Maggie).
    SpyderAnn says I can bring my dog. Hope she's right.

Spyder Garage

When I bought my Yamaha Majesty 400 maxiscooter back in 2010, I was worried about going too slow. The friend I bought it from said, "Ride what's comfortable to you, and don't worry about others. Let people go by if they want to go by." I've always remembered that. Now I have a Spyder RT Limited, and I go the speed at which I'm comfortable. If that means going 60 mph with a speed limit of 65, then that's what I do. Yes, I tend to slow down a bit before curves and speed up in them. That's ok. The minimum speed on the Interstate system here in Iowa is 45 mph, and I'm WAY above that. The message is - ride what's comfortable for you.

Spyder Garage

My wife and I have ridden two up on two wheels for years, some time ago we had a low speed fall (about 3 mph on a single track, she went to stand up because she saw a rut coming and tipped us over - I know TMI.) We decided to get three wheels - a trike kit or TriGlide was out of our price range. We got a low milage 2012 RT Limited for a super price. WA State requires that you have a 3 wheel endorsement. After about two years of riding I finally took the course offered by CanAm. Well worth the money (and I won't get a ticket if stopped). The course I took went into great detail about riding into corners and body positioning and three wheel riding in general.

Spyder Garage

Quartermain,

I'm very early in my Spyder riding, having ridden only 3K miles since getting my 2016 Spyder RT in late September after riding Goldwings for 15+ years.

The biggest thing that has helped me so far is my riding buddy. He has a 2016 Spyder RT Limited as well and rides like a scalded ape. Since we have the same bikes, I figured if his bike does it, mine will too. I went out of my comfort zone initially but just knowing that preparing for the curve with proper position and that the bike's Nanny will work if you're too hot accelerated my rider confidence.

Dunno if you can tap a mentor with the riding abilities you desire or not but might be worth checking around other rider groups in your neck of the woods for such a person.

Spyder Garage

hi quartermain

a couple of things:
    keep an eye on your tyre pressures....try front 14psi rear below 24 psi

you sound like a big guy(you mention strength etc)....if the combined weight of you and your lady is geting up there then you may benefit from stiffer front springs(i dont know of stiffer aftermarket springs..only elkas etc and they ask for your combined weight and supply springs accordingly)

dont trust rear bag settings.....check it with the air guage in the tool bag

after checking all of the above,i sold my 2015RT coz it wouldnt corner(too much oversteer)....

hope you get it happy

russ
    pres ride
    2014 RT-S
    bike is WIP
    bike has endured elect spike (was jump started incorrectly)
    still a WIP but bike is now running and registered....swapped out 5 modules mostly sourced from Canadian wrecker

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's all in your head. Trust the bike and go for it.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I joined a Spyder Ryders Club and the first ryde with them was over to Eureka Springs, Arkansas during their Bikers Spring Fling (1000s of bikes of all kinds). Until this ryde I'd only ridden about 150 miles on my Spyder before this trip.
    Eureka Springs, and Arkansas in general is "Twisty Heaven", so this was my trial by fire, I just had to say to myself that if they can do those curves that fast, so can I. There were a few that I thought we were gonna die, but the nanny stepped in and saved our asses. But now after about 3000miles I'm better than most of them. Feet wide on boards, knees clamped to the tank (so that you're not using your arms to hold on but just to steer), lean into it, and keep your eyes off the center-line and down/around the road. Remember your 2-wheel days? If you look at the rock you'll hit it and if you hafta go between 2 close rocks ya gotta look at the space BETWEEN them. Very similar with Spyders, look where you wanna go. Trust the machine and yourself and of course the nanny. Oh, and GET RID OF THOSE KENDAS, GO FOR THE BR Sway bar and his Shock Adjusters. I'm 6'6" 270lbs and my back seat driver is 180 so we're pushing the Spydies limits. Now if I could just get her to stay awake back there the twisties would be much easier. Also, I downshift and back off throttle going into the curve, 12:1 compression ratio will slow ya down remarkably and ya can power out of trouble and shoot outta the curve. Harley tail gunner commented "Man that thing accelerates like a rocket!" and I've only had it up to 5k. P.S. MAN I LOVE MY SPYDER!!!
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Quartermain View Post
    Thanks for responding, AR. I know it'll take more miles, and am not using a death grip at all. I'm very at ease just cruising along and relaxed. Have my lady on the back and really enjoy the ride and everything about the Spyder. Came from 50 years on two wheels, and if not for a couple incidents with a 2012 Ural, I might not feel this way at all.
    I just have trouble watching the videos of folks taking curves with what looks like minimal lean etc. while I'm having my chin over my mirror and my outside leg is pushing down with enough force to practically lift me off the seat.
    It's not a matter of strength to hold myself on the bike. Years of heavy weight lifting took care of that. It's just that FEELING from the g forces.
    I know it's a me problem. I'll get it eventually. I just keep thinking I'm holding everybody up on the Parkway, or I'll get run over or rear ended on the highway.
    Thanks again for listening. See you in Maggie?
    Since you apparently have ample upper body strength have you tried using just your arms to get your body to the inside then pushing down with your inside foot? It's well known we want to keep the inside of the bike down in a curve so this; "my outside leg is pushing down with enough force to practically lift me off the seat." is counter-productive to that effort. I know a lot of folks use their outside leg/foot to help shift their body to the inside, but the only way your outside foot stays on the floor board or foot peg is if there is downward force on the outside. That's exactly opposite of what's needed to keep the inside down. Since my first test ride on a Spyder, I have always used my arms to shift my body to the inside and can completely lift my outside foot off the floor board while applying almost full body weight to the inside board, (but don't because I like to keep the ability to feather the brake if need be). Just sayin' it might be something to think about. It works for me.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    It's all in your head. Trust the bike and go for it.
    Having ridden two wheels sin 1968, and three since 2012, I find that confidence in your machine is a huge step in doing what you want it to do in a ride.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Having ridden two wheels sin 1968, and three since 2012, I find that confidence in your machine is a huge step in doing what you want it to do in a ride.
    Very true. I encountered that with my 2005 Goldwing in slow tight turns. The bike would naturally handle the turn much better the less I tried to control it! I don't know that I ever got to the point of fully believing the bike would easily handle a slow tight turn!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    I joined a Spyder Ryders Club and the first ryde with them was over to Eureka Springs, Arkansas during their Bikers Spring Fling (1000s of bikes of all kinds). Until this ryde I'd only ridden about 150 miles on my Spyder before this trip.
    Eureka Springs, and Arkansas in general is "Twisty Heaven", so this was my trial by fire, I just had to say to myself that if they can do those curves that fast, so can I. There were a few that I thought we were gonna die, but the nanny stepped in and saved our asses. But now after about 3000miles I'm better than most of them. Feet wide on boards, knees clamped to the tank (so that you're not using your arms to hold on but just to steer), lean into it, and keep your eyes off the center-line and down/around the road. Remember your 2-wheel days? If you look at the rock you'll hit it and if you hafta go between 2 close rocks ya gotta look at the space BETWEEN them. Very similar with Spyders, look where you wanna go. Trust the machine and yourself and of course the nanny. Oh, and GET RID OF THOSE KENDAS, GO FOR THE BR Sway bar and his Shock Adjusters. I'm 6'6" 270lbs and my back seat driver is 180 so we're pushing the Spydies limits. Now if I could just get her to stay awake back there the twisties would be much easier. Also, I downshift and back off throttle going into the curve, 12:1 compression ratio will slow ya down remarkably and ya can power out of trouble and shoot outta the curve. Harley tail gunner commented "Man that thing accelerates like a rocket!" and I've only had it up to 5k. P.S. MAN I LOVE MY SPYDER!!!
    And ditto on your twisties in N AR comments. We have the pleasure of living in the area...and so far, 100 miles in ANY direction from us is riders heaven.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    And ditto on your twisties in N AR comments. We have the pleasure of living in the area...and so far, 100 miles in ANY direction from us is riders heaven.
    I can vouch for AR being a great place to ryde or ride I've spent a lot of time on two and three wheels there the past few summers. With relatives in Bentonville, Rogers and Mena, I get plenty of opportunities to enjoy those roads. It's some of the best riding I've ever seen all in a one place. I just wish it were closer; I have to travel half way across the Tx Panhandle and all of OK to get to their western state line. Of course if you know where to look there is an abundance of twisty roads in getting there. It just takes a bit longer than flying down the Interstate.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Time in the saddle.... time, time, time. miles, miles, miles
    2018 RT , Blue