Spyder Garage

Default A nervous 30 minutes........

Burned out another headlite bulb yesterday sometime on my 300 mile ride. Anyway, I was not looking forward to changing it as I recall the last time how much of a PITA it was working within that tiny cramped area just behind the headlamp panel.

So, I get my new bulbs and proceed to the task at hand, cursing those dang BRP engineers who made the job so hard. I finally finished and turned the key to check if they were functioning again, and - no gauge cluster, and headlites that would not change from low to high, just stuck on one level of light. Bike started up and all other lites worked, but nothing else would function.

Got out the manual and dug into the fuse boxes looking for a culprit but could find none that had blown. There was an odd instance when I plugged back in the low beam fuse that the 4-way flashers started going off by themselves. Actually happened twice. I kept pulling fuses and testing everything again, but there was no change. Pulled the key out a few times and that did nothing. So, I sat on my stool and pondered my next move and invented more curse words of anger toward those engineers at BRP.

Must of sat there 5 minutes and tried one more time, and lo and behold, everything started back up normally. No problems. Did about 7 more starts as I was cleaning up my tools and stuff and had no further issues.

Felt like having a cold one about then, but I had stopped drinking about 6 weeks ago, so had to have a seltzer water instead.

Getting too old for all this excitement..........
    2014 ST-S Cognac
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Spyder Garage

Don't ya just love those electrical gremlins? They just hide and laugh at you until they get tired and give up (sometimes)..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Is it related to the CANbus system? Such that (like many computerized systems) it had to take a deep breath and reset completely after a disturbance?
    Hoping that's it, and not just some gremlin which could come back at an inopportune moment.

Spyder Garage

Default Ahhh yes...!!

Those are the glitches I so often refer to... like a traffic jam that clears and you never know why it happened
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

ST, RS and base F3 all are on my list of headlights I refuse to change! I can change headlights on RT and F3T/F3Ltd in 1/2 hour and I don’t draw blood doing it.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    ST, RS and base F3 all are on my list of headlights I refuse to change! I can change headlights on RT and F3T/F3Ltd in 1/2 hour and I don’t draw blood doing it.
    know your hands have to be smaller than mine, & I have managed the bulbs on ST few times now, cramped& contorted not injured, last set was to LEDs should last longer do you know what part got you?

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    know your hands have to be smaller than mine, & I have managed the bulbs on ST few times now, cramped& contorted not injured, last set was to LEDs should last longer do you know what part got you?
    I put back in the basic bulb types, no LED's. Just seems my hands and fingers aren't as nimble as before, so twisting and pulling becomes more difficult. The metal clips holding in the bulbs appear to "pinch" the base of the rubber boot that slides over the base of the bulb. Plus, the inside of the boot on the inside has ridges molded in it, so when you pull at it, it does not want to slide off very easy. The metal clips are supposed to be one-handed two finger job to unclip them, but I had to use a long screwdriver to poke and prod each side of the clip to release them. Same with trying to re-clip them.

The ravages of getting older.......
    2014 ST-S Cognac
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I swore the last time that I had to change the headlight bulb in my RTL, that would rather sell it than do it again.
    2017 RTL , White