Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Touring pants

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Malathion View Post
    Super pleased with my Carlsbad gear. They have a cut that give you ease of movement for aggressive spyder riding. I prefer to wear my Carlsbad pants to wearing jeans, they are cooler and give better heat protection from the engine......
    Malathion what do your wear under your Carlsbad pants? If you prefer them over jeans I assume you’re not wearing jeans under?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-01-2019 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Hi I have a pair of Sedici Alexi Waterproof Pants (https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/sedici-alexi-pants) that I really like. They have two removal liners (one waterproof and one for cold weather). I remove both liners for the summer and like to ride for long rides, I do not wear for shorter rides. The waterproof liner can be hot in the summer, but it keeps you dry. They are nice a warm in the winter with the liners in, I drove as low as 20 degrees F and was fine. They have knee pads but no hip pads.

On long rides I like having them on. In the summer I can wear them over shorts and have nice airflow for longer rides.

Good luck.

Spyder Garage

We wear mesh textile pants with removeable armor over padded bicycle shorts with white boxers under those. Always have two pair of the bike shorts so we can rinse one pair out and let it dry overnight & next day in hotel room while wearing the clean pair. In addition, we take one set of "nice" clothes like jeans & a sport shirt in case we decide to go someplace where something other than bike shorts and T-shirts might be more appropriate. But, those are usually only when we are within walking distance of that "place" what-ever it happens to be. Since we are ATGATT when riding, it is rare that we ever use the jeans and sport shirt. Our mesh pants have both a rain liner and quilted liner that can be used together when needed. As for jackets, we do pretty much as you, mesh with liner and large raincoat that will fit over the top.

As for gear or no gear, it's an individual choice and since you can still have a get-off even with three wheels where road rash is a very painful outcome, we will always wear full gear.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Utah Pete - you just said my thought????? we have THREE WHEELERS and they don't tip very easy at all.. If we get hit by 4 wheels the pants are not going to help the situation.
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big F View Post
    Utah Pete - you just said my thought????? we have THREE WHEELERS and they don't tip very easy at all.. If we get hit by 4 wheels the pants are not going to help the situation.
    BIG F
    Sounds to me you like two have a false sense of security. I agree that it doesn't matter what gear you have on when a vehicle hits you hard enough on two wheels or three. What happens when a vehicle hits you just hard enough to send you flying off the bike? Those shorts and sandals you are wearing won't give you much protection on the pavement. I prefer to err on the side of caution than to spend my time in a hospital getting skin grafts and fighting infection.

Might as well not wear a helmet while you are at it.
    2018 Spyder ST Limited , Asphalt Gray

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lstayner View Post
    Sounds to me you like two have a false sense of security. I agree that it doesn't matter what gear you have on when a vehicle hits you hard enough on two wheels or three. What happens when a vehicle hits you just hard enough to send you flying off the bike? Those shorts and sandals you are wearing won't give you much protection on the pavement. I prefer to err on the side of caution than to spend my time in a hospital getting skin grafts and fighting infection.

Might as well not wear a helmet while you are at it.
    It's all conjecture, not fact.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Varying opinions are what the forum is about. Keeping them under control can be an issue. So far, mostly in control.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Now, that is being judgmental I think. It's all conjecture, not fact.
    Nope. That is being sarcastic. I am an ATGATT rider but don't care if you ride in a Speedo.

Spyder Garage

Nope. That is being sarcastic. I am an ATGATT rider but don't care if you ride in a Speedo.
    Now there's an image that may require some serious eye bleach.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Always gear up when I ride... so I don't have to wonder "what if?", had I been dressed for success in the event of a mishap. Cortech textile pants with armor... mesh in summertime (with rain barrier) and non-mesh (with rain barrier) for cooler seasons, so I don't have to re-gear for rain. I wear a Tourmaster textile jacket and gloves ... and always a helmet. One accident on a bike with a broken knee and ankle, but no road rash or head injury, confirmed the prudence of gearing well for non-caged adventures.

Spyder Garage

Nope, facts. Crash data, analysis, studies. Fatalities on a Spyder are blessedly rare, but crashes are not. Bottom line, ATGATT!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

It's a lot simpler once you ditch the idea you need to dress for the 'slide'.
    Armor doesn't just protect from the slide. As I see it, getting thrown off is the most likely cause of injury on a Spyder. If I get thrown off, I want knee armor in case I land on my knees. Ditto for head, shoulders, arms, and back. You're spreading out the impact so the chance of broken bones is much less. I don't trust other drivers and I myself have been known to make a driving mistake or two in my life. I'd like to be able to walk away from an accident and it's worth it to me to have the best protection I can get - and hi-viz to give me even a 1% less chance of even getting in an accident. It's costly, it's not stylish, and it's inconvenient, but not nearly as costly and inconvenient as a hospital or funeral and way more stylish.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Pete, this is what I think (and live by);
    Armored clothing is designed to protect in a slide ... which is much more likely to happen with a 2-wheeler than a Spyder. In all the time I've been on this forum I've not heard of one incident where someone came off their Spyder in a true 'slide' situation (sliding down the asphalt ripping off skin). A slide typically happens when the rider 'lays their bike down' deliberately to avoid a collision (never a good idea), or loses control in a slip 'n slide or high-speed evasion situation and they go down on the asphalt at speed; this doesn't happen with the Spyder as long as they stay with the bike.

The very few incidents reported with a rider being injured while riding a Spyder have been; a) collisions with wildlife or b) hydroplaning. In the first situation, the rider may be injured from the large animal coming through the windshield (and may or may not get knocked off the bike); I don't think armored clothing would help much either way. With hydroplaning resulting in a spin, the rider may be thrown from the Spyder and armored gear may or may not protect joints but since it's wet out, the slide itself isn't likely to result in abrasion injuries.

The most recent reported incident, which resulted in fatal injuries sadly, the rider wasn't wearing a helmet. I always wear a helmet because brain injuries are typically non-survivable, but broken bones and abrasion are.
    With this type of thinking Pete, you may as well wear shorts and flip flops. After all the broken bones and abrasions will heal! Talk to someone that has been through that healing process to hear what fun it was. I agree you will never lay a Spyder down, but yo may come off of it, and I would rather land on armor than my unprotected skin. Lost a good friend on a Spyder when he was rear ended and thrown from his Spyder. He dressed like you!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

I respect everyone’s opinion and suggestions, that is why I asked in the first place. I didn’t mean to start a trash “talk” thread. I was simply asking how many people wear shorts under their touring pants? Is it better to have 2 pair of (Regular Levi) jeans or one pair of jeans and riding pants to save space? Any opinion on wearing either the KLIM latitude or Carlsbad pants was also asked. Consensus is wear armor (probably Latitude for me) and some do wear jeans, riding shorts and riding underwear under their riding pants. I was just trying to do a bit of research for my wife and I’s behalf and gain knowledge from others that may have experience in this question.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    I respect everyone’s opinion and suggestions, that is why I asked in the first place. I didn’t mean to start a trash “talk” thread. I was simply asking how many people wear shorts under their touring pants? Is it better to have 2 pair of (Regular Levi) jeans or one pair of jeans and riding pants to save space? Any opinion on wearing either the KLIM latitude or Carlsbad pants was also asked. Consensus is wear armor (probably Latitude for me) and some do wear jeans, riding shorts and riding underwear under their riding pants. I was just trying to do a bit of research for my wife and I’s behalf and gain knowledge from others that may have experience in this question.
    I wear just underwear under my riding pants. Motoport brand custom fit pants. My wife does the same. I have a set of Olympia Air Glide pants that I do the same in. I also have a set of Bohn Armour pants that I can wear under jeans. They are quite comfortable and offer me the protection I want. I wear a heavy pair of Duluth Trading jeans over them .

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    I thought it was a reasonable question and I tried to provide a different perspective on it than what I knew the majority group-think response would be. I hope you find a solution that you are comfortable with.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Why wash every three days? The longer you wear them without washing the more protection you will get.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

I wear just underwear under my riding pants. Motoport brand custom fit pants. My wife does the same. I have a set of Olympia Air Glide pants that I do the same in..

As to armor or no armor I prefer armor. When a Buick helped me dismount from my Triumph in W.V. a couple of years back I didn't slide one inch. I did however land on my knees and elbows very HARD. What amounted to a few days of barely being able to walk or bend my elbows could have amounted to busted bones or even some surgery. I survived, Triumph survived, Buick paid the bills. I'll keep my armor in place.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I still wear protective pants but not all the time. On tour I wear my Resurgence New Wave Jeans. I bought them for riding my two-wheeler but now I only use the F3-S. So Canadian pants on a Canadian 'bike'.

Spyder Garage

Any long trips I take My Aerostitch Roadcrafter one piece , Aerostitch triple digit rain gloves and Aerostich Kanetsu Electic vest . Summer weather Once again Aerostich cotton
    shorts . cooler weather jeans underneath. Usually a wicking t shirt with wicking socks with my leather 12" boots .
    an extra socks n unders and thats it .
    Short trips I've got AS ADI pants that I switch up with either a Olympia textile or a Joe Rocket mesh Jacket .
    Helmet is a Schuberth Modular C4 , would never go back to a non opening helmet .
    I've ridden single digits to triple temp wise and only time The Roadcrafter gets annoying is if not moving in hot weather .
    The electric vest makes all the difference in the world I never leave without it .
    Even on 3 wheels your still tip toeing above a really big belt sander .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Why wash every three days? The longer you wear them without washing the more protection you will get.

Jack
    Like WW II submariners!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I have Klim hardanger suit wear it all the time. In the heat of summer I wear my gym short, t-shirt and boots of course, then wear the hardanger over it. Also alway keep slippers with with me. When I get to my destination suit and the boots goes in the sidebars. Winter months slippers stays home suit will be over my regular clothing. I did cross country trip in June only thing I packed was few shorts and t-shirts and toiletries.

Spyder Garage

I thought it was a reasonable question and I tried to provide a different perspective on it than what I knew the majority group-think response would be. I hope you find a solution that you are comfortable with.
    I agree completely, Pete.......and I don’t see this as a “trash” talk thread Wmoater..it was a good question. There are some excellent points for consideration here, and no one is being abusive....... I really appreciated Pete’s perspective. That’s not to say I will immediately adopt it, but I am a big boy and will make my decision based on how my particular circumstances fit the differing perspectives.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

How can a post on what pants to wear have so many replys? Really it is a matter of preference. Some feel safe in their underwear, T-shirt and slats. Some can't get enough safety gear on to feel safe. If you ride on the edge all the time you can not have too much safety gear on. If your choice is the underwear, T-shirt and slats be careful out there. Here in the "old pueblo" when temps are 115* I ride with loose clothing, no skin on your entire body exposed to the sun good substantial footwear and of course Helmut and gloves. IMO full ATGATT creates way to much Heat and sometimes that is more dangerous here than anything. Many a rider here has passed out and crashed from heat exhaustion. Most of us wear a cooler soaked in water around our necks in the hotter months. As Lydia always said "a little common sense will get you to the end of your life if you are not in a hurry"! If temps permit, I wear KLIM riding gear and an Arai helmet. Not trying to prove anything here but after 68 years of riding and using Lydia's advise I have faired well.

Thanks to those who resurrected the St.George UT Rally by the way. Some of my favorite country to ride in and I did get a few hours in on the E-Bike. Will see everyone in Kerrville Tex in two weeks.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Here in the "old pueblo" when temps are 115* I ride with loose clothing, no skin on your entire body exposed to the sun good substantial footwear and of course Helmut and gloves. IMO full ATGATT creates way to much Heat and sometimes that is more dangerous here than anything. Many a rider here has passed out and crashed from heat exhaustion.
    Amen.
    2014 RTL Platinum