Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Touring pants

Spyder Garage

Default Touring pants

Right now prices are dropping because of the end of the season. I have always worn armor jeans with the armor built into them but I have never tour rode with my wife just myself. Storage never was an issue with one person. Now that we have the Spyder, my wife is now tour riding with me which is nice. Now that there are two of us, I want to keep the travel wear to a minimum. I was looking at some touring armor "over" pants. They are gortex, built in armor and some leather so no need for rain paints on long trips. We wear mesh armor jackets so I have gortex rain jackets to slide overtop. My concern is the heat in the summer with these pants. I am including the specs of the KLIM touring armor gortex pants below. Since they are basically the pants, do you wear shorts under them to keep cooler or basic jeans? I know it's up to me, but just curious what you wear under armor pants. ( I wear a t shirt under my armor mesh jacket wouldn't shorts under armor pants be the same?) I have only had armor built into my jeans so that was what I wore as a base layer. I am also thinking now that one pair of jeans can go along time since you'd be wearing light weight shorts under the armor and the armor is worn each day while riding not regular jeans. 2 less rain pants are now a plus. Obviously I am just cutting back on needed clothes.

Any input what you'd wear under touring armor pants especially in summer hot days?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    Right now prices are dropping because of the end of the season. I have always worn armor jeans with the armor built into them but I have never tour rode with my wife just myself. Storage never was and issue with one person. Now that we have the Spyder, my wife is now tour riding with me which is nice. Now that there are two of us, I want to keep the travel wear to a minimum. I was looking at some touring armor "over" pants. They are gortex, built in armor and some leather so no need for rain paints on long trips. We wear mesh armor jackets so I have gortex rain jackets to slide overtop. My concern is the heat in the summer with these pants. I am including the specs of the KLIM touring armor gortex pants below. Since they are basically the pants, do you wear shorts under them to keep cooler or basic jeans. I know it's up to me but just curious what you wear under armor. I have only had armor built into my jeans so that was what I wore. I am also thinking now that one pair of jeans can go along time since you'd be wearing light weight shorts under the armor and the armor is worn each day while riding not regular jeans.

Any input what you'd wear under touring armor pants especially in summer hot days?
    Why do you think you need armored riding pants at all? That's an old school 2-wheeler habit. Time to break it.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

You are correct it is habit. It "was" 2 wheels for the past 22 years. I guess that's why I am asking just to see how others are doing it. Good input. Maybe just 2 pairs of jeans ( wash every 3 days) and take my gortex rain pants.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You are correct it is habit. It "was" 2 wheels for the past 22 years. I guess that's why I am asking just to see how others are doing it. Good input. Maybe just 2 pairs of jeans ( wash every 3 days) and take my gortex rain pants.
    It's a lot simpler once you ditch the idea you need to dress for the 'slide'.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    But Pete, you can still slide if you overcook a corner and are thrown off, or if a cager changes lanes on you or t-bones you. I have not said this to start an argument, just interested in why you say there is no need to dress for the slide on a Spyder ?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    But Pete, you can still slide if you overcook a corner and are thrown off, or if a cager changes lanes on you or t-bones you. I have not said this to start an argument, just interested in why you say there is no need to dress for the slide on a Spyder ? Pete
    Pete, this is what I think (and live by);
    Armored clothing is designed to protect in a slide ... which is much more likely to happen with a 2-wheeler than a Spyder. In all the time I've been on this forum I've not heard of one incident where someone came off their Spyder in a true 'slide' situation (sliding down the asphalt ripping off skin). A slide typically happens when the rider 'lays their bike down' deliberately to avoid a collision (never a good idea), or loses control in a slip 'n slide or high-speed evasion situation and they go down on the asphalt at speed; this doesn't happen with the Spyder as long as they stay with the bike.

The very few incidents reported with a rider being injured while riding a Spyder have been; a) collisions with wildlife or b) hydroplaning. In the first situation, the rider may be injured from the large animal coming through the windshield (and may or may not get knocked off the bike); I don't think armored clothing would help much either way. With hydroplaning resulting in a spin, the rider may be thrown from the Spyder and armored gear may or may not protect joints but since it's wet out, the slide itself isn't likely to result in abrasion injuries.

The most recent reported incident, which resulted in fatal injuries sadly, the rider wasn't wearing a helmet. I always wear a helmet because brain injuries are typically non-survivable, but broken bones and abrasion are.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I’ve been extremely happy with these klim pants. It’s all I wear under my outer layer now when we tour

https://www.klim.com/Transition-Pant-3254-000
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Pair of chaps that fit over whatever & your good

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Ive been wearing Dragon Jeans with the Kevlar sewn inside all the critical areas.They are a little hotter than regular jeans but also a little more comfortable bc of the padding.I just deal with the heat until I cant ,then I put on reg jeans and T shirt.I try to only do this on backroads.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

I recently read an article that said kevlar jeans are now on the way out. There is an updated version that is not so thick and does not have the knee and butt patches sewn in. Result: same or better protection and cooler to ride in during the summer.

We have moved from one extreme to the other. Still 90 degrees today and we did 135 miles. Currently, I am wearing jeans and a high viz t-shirt. Helmet, gloves, and boots of course.

I have a pair of chaps that I am planning on bringing out for the first cold weather...and I have a big assortment of riding jackets.

It's a comfort situation and a calculated risk. We are headed off to OK for a rally on Wed...but will drive ATGATT for that one due to the more traveled roads and the higher speeds we will encounter.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I'd either be looking at the KLIM Carlsbad or latitude. Both I can get 23% off. I'd want them to be gortex so I don't need rain pants. I'd only wear them on highway riding ( high speeds and major highways). Once I get there, I'd want to cruise around in regular jeans " Levi ". Therefore I only need one pair of jeans for 3-5 days and wash, and 1 pair of riding pants everyday. I guess I am just extended the "2up storage" post by Billie. I just wondered if shorts could be worn under either of these to keep cool and at same time less clothing needed on long trips. But at the same time 2 pairs of regular jeans is the same difference with rain pants stuffed away.

Spyder Garage

I wear Tourmaster Venture 2.0 mesh pants and I wear exercise shorts underneath in the warm weather.
    2015 RT , Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Underware, I have 2 kinds one you use like regular pants the other ones
    are over pants then over my regular pants.....

Spyder Garage

Look at Olympia air glide pants. They come with a rain liner and a cold weather liner. As far as whats on sale, buy what you want, not whats on sale. It is always the cheapest option in the end.
    2018 Spyder ST Limited , Asphalt Gray

Spyder Garage

I have these overpants and love them. Breathable mesh and removable rain liner. I wear gym shorts underneath them in warm weather.
    https://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Motospo...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I'd either be looking at the KLIM Carlsbad or latitude. Both I can get 23% off. I'd want them to be gortex so I don't need rain pants. I'd only wear them on highway riding ( high speeds and major highways). Once I get there, I'd want to cruise around in regular jeans " Levi ". Therefore I only need one pair of jeans for 3-5 days and wash, and 1 pair of riding pants everyday. I guess I am just extended the "2up storage" post by Billie. I just wondered if shorts could be worn under either of these to keep cool and at same time less clothing needed on long trips. But at the same time 2 pairs of regular jeans is the same difference with rain pants stuffed away.
    I have a Klim Carlsbad jacket, and I have Cabela's Rainy River pants in the frunk they are nice lightweight and most importantly they are GoreTex, now if I was going to be doing a touring trip at this time of year or early spring I would replace the Rainy River pants and stow my Cabela's Guidewear bibs.
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Spyder Garage

I have a pair of TourMaster Overpants and a pair of BMW GoreTex pants. Both are waterproof and, in addition to protecting knees etc in an accident, provide rain protection. Each has zippered ventilation for hot days. I usually wear gym shorts underneath or a nylon cargo short underneath. If stopping for a while, I lose the riding pants and boots and put on my flip flops or Skechers with the shorts to walk around or eat.

I choose to wear protection. You won't fall down like on two wheeler but still can be thrown from the bike. You never know what you may encounter. Two weeks ago I was in my wife's car stopped at a stop light. Behind me was a semi - also stopped. The left turn signal for the left turn lane next to us change to green (our lane was still red) and the driver hit the gas and totaled our car. From a stop. Hate to think if I were on a bike or the Spyder. Pants may not have mattered here but if thrown at speed from the Spyder - I want some protection. I admit, if running around locally doing errands, I wear jeans or my Kevlar jeans. But on a trip or longer rides, I wear riding pants.
    2012 RT-SE5

Spyder Garage

Pete, this is what I think (and live by);
    Armored clothing is designed to protect in a slide ... which is much more likely to happen with a 2-wheeler than a Spyder. In all the time I've been on this forum I've not heard of one incident where someone came off their Spyder in a true 'slide' situation (sliding down the asphalt ripping off skin). .
    Ahhhh. Gotcha, Pete....thanks.....I am of the same mind........but, with a replacement hip, and bad knees, I am always concerned about impacts if I am thrown over the handlebars or sideways. I wear Draggin jeans, with Kevlar in only the knees and hip/bum areas, with armour also in the knees and hips. I am considering taking the armour out, but I haven’t quite convinced myself of the “percentages” as yet

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Pete, you never cease to amaze me.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

��
    Pete,
    Are you a safety professional? I am.
    Are you an MSF Instructor? I am.
    Are you a 3 Wheel instructor? I am.
    Everyone can have an opinion. You choose to do whatever you wish.
    MY PROFESSIONAL OPINION, BACKED UP BY FACTS, RESEARCH, DATA, and EDUCATION IS ATGATT!
    ALL THE GEAR, ALL THE TIME. PERIOD.
    Please don’t advise people based on your imagination. Take a class. Hard to argue with facts.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

To the OP, I wear Aerostich AD1 pants and spandex underneath. Eliminates rain gear, is armored, and goretex. Breathes. Good stuff. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Spyder Garage

Gone from 2 wheels to 3
    and its still ATGATT .
    Have had my Original Aerostitch Roadcrafter suit for 25 plus years its never let me down .
    Well worth it . getting the new Transit 3 leathers from them , $200 off presale going on now . ends soon .
    Buy once cry once .

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    ��
    Pete,
    Are you a safety professional? I am.
    Are you an MSF Instructor? I am.
    Are you a 3 Wheel instructor? I am.
    Everyone can have an opinion. You choose to do whatever you wish.
    MY PROFESSIONAL OPINION, BACKED UP BY FACTS, RESEARCH, DATA, and EDUCATION IS ATGATT!
    ALL THE GEAR, ALL THE TIME. PERIOD.
    Please don’t advise people based on your imagination. Take a class. Hard to argue with facts.
    Joe, I respect your knowledge and expertise on a number of topics Spyder related. I don't claim any expertise in those areas and enjoy learning from you and others when possible.

I don't advise anyone to do what I do, but I have ideas and opinions based on my experience and reasoning and whatever data (facts) I can lay my hands on and I freely share that with others. Isn't that what the forum is about?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Here. You are no less vulnerable on a Spyder; no air bags, crumple zones, restraints. We agree on helmets. Dress for the crash. If you never need it, great! Better to have and not need.....
    Joe Meyer

Spyder Garage

Super pleased with my Carlsbad gear. They have a cut that give you ease of movement for aggressive spyder riding. I prefer to wear my Carlsbad pants to wearing jeans, they are cooler and give better heat protection from the engine. The jacket is not as spyder friendly, the slashed arm vents only work well when standing, leaving the cuffs open gives great access for air and the odd bug. Completely zipped up the collar can be annoying, collar tabs would have been nice. The material in the chest and thigh area is great for keeping your core cool, that being said you must plan for cooler whether.