Thread: Wobble at 45

Spyder Garage

Default Wobble at 45

I have a 2011 RTS with about 5000 miles. I have had the bike for about 2 years and wanted to improve the ride. So last week I added the BajaRon sway bar and Elka stage 2 front shocks and a stage 4 rear shock. I took it out for a ride up the canyon and the handling is greatly improved however now when I hit about 41 I get uncontrollable wobble until about 45 mph. I didn't have this problem until I made the changes. I made no changes to the factory settings of the shocks. If I have the sway bar ends too tight would that cause this wobble? I made the same changes to my wife's 2013 RTL and it runs great.

Any suggestions will be very welcomed.

Spyder Garage

I would go over all that you did, and make shore you have every thing tight and in place! What are you running for tires, some are directional are they on the right side? To bad that you didn't do it in steps and test, but I don't blame you when you have her skirt off you want to get it all done!! good luck
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Yeah that would have been the smart thing to do. I am still running the orginal tires. I know I should replace them since they are 8 years old. That is the next round of up grades. I never pulled the tires so they shouldn't be a factor unless the up grade magnified a preexisting problem.

Spyder Garage

Are they cupping yet??? Maybe the stiffer shocks are making you feel that!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

just a thought, or a tire out of balance!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Tires look pretty good considering. No noticeable cupping. I wouldn't think out of balance since nothing changed with them while replacing the shocks and sway bar unless doing so would enhance an out of balance issue from the old set up.

Spyder Garage

Are both shocks set on the same setting?
    Happy owner of 2014 White RTS - SE6

Spyder Garage

Yes according to the QC tag that were on the shocks they are. I only made sure they were the same length. I figured the factory knows better then I on the set up.

Spyder Garage

After being sure everything is tight and installed properly. I would ask, did you change the suspension height (front or back)? A change in height will affect alignment. A little change isn't usually a problem. You can also change the front to back angle with shock adjustment which may also affect alignment. The poster suggesting that by adding stiffer shocks you may simply be feeling an out of balance tire that you didn't notice with softer shocks, may also be onto something.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the information. I do know that the ride height did change with the installation of the shocks. I will work on getting the alignment checked as well as trying to find someone to check the balance on the tires. It might be prudent just to get the tires replaced while I am at it.

Spyder Garage

My 2011 had the same problem. Tires looked liked new(Kendas). Had them balanced twice, problem persisted. Switched tires and wheels side to side(reversed rotation) problem gone. Put new car tires on front end of problem!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mzirger View Post
    Yeah that would have been the smart thing to do. I am still running the orginal tires. I know I should replace them since they are 8 years old. That is the next round of up grades. I never pulled the tires so they shouldn't be a factor unless the up grade magnified a preexisting problem.
    …. with your assessment - the worst of the Kenda may now be more evident with the suspension improvements …… good luck …. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like tire balance issue since it happens at certain speed. Might be worth a try checking lug nuts for tightness. Also making changes could effect alignement. Just ride.. tires may be adjusting to the changes..

Quote Originally Posted by mzirger View Post
    I have a 2011 RTS with about 5000 miles. I have had the bike for about 2 years and wanted to improve the ride. So last week I added the BajaRon sway bar and Elka stage 2 front shocks and a stage 4 rear shock. I took it out for a ride up the canyon and the handling is greatly improved however now when I hit about 41 I get uncontrollable wobble until about 45 mph. I didn't have this problem until I made the changes. I made no changes to the factory settings of the shocks. If I have the sway bar ends too tight would that cause this wobble? I made the same changes to my wife's 2013 RTL and it runs great.

Any suggestions will be very welcomed.