Spyder Garage

Default Seat/backrest/passenger armrest selection advice needed

We have a 2015 RTL in Circuit Yellow. Looking for seat recommendations. I really am at a loss here. I seem to bottom out on the stock seat after about 30-45 minutes of riding. Should I just install gel seat pads or go for a compleatly new seat and backrest? I have heard mixed reviews on the BRP Comfort seat and the Ultimate seats. There are also the Diamond seats. Has anyone tried more than one of these? I'm 5'9" and weigh 200lbs. My wife is 5'7" and about 125lbs. we would ALSO like some feedback on the passenger armrests. Which passenger armrests are the "strongest"? Factory or aftermarket?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-18-2020 at 11:27 PM. Reason: 2015, not 2915 ;-/
    Ride Safe.
    Shoot Straight.
    Speak the Truth.

David & Deb Parsons
    "Sarge"
    2015 Circuit Yellow Spyder RT Limited
    2010 Velocity Yellow Kawasaki VN1700 Voyager
    AMSOIL
    AMA Member
    AVA Member
    VROC Member
    KawaNOW Member
    Patriot Guard Rider
    US Army M.I., Retired
    NRA Instructor & N.C. CCW Instructor
    Never mind Area51. Worry about the other 50, or more!
    2015 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I really like my Ultimate Seat and backrest. Made a big difference in comfort. I used to have a limit of about an hour or so before I would have to get a butt stretch. I would also get sore in my back. It does sit a little higher. Also is nice when filling up, my wife doesn’t have to get off to lift the seat.
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Everyone is different when it comes to seats. You might want to go to the Maggie valley event and look at some seats and maybe try some different ones if they have seat vendors there. maybe airhawk pad might work for you or the gel as you stated. Now as far as the armrest go I can say the Show Chrome one are solid but always seem to come loose. I would go with the type that flip up as a better armrest, there are a few different ones out there. Good luck shopping.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I Serge

I advise you a Utopia, there is a lot of latitude of adjustment = https://www.utpr.com/spyderrt.html

FlyBoy2121

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    We have a 2915 RTL in Circuit Yellow. Looking for seat recommendations. I really am at a loss here. I seem to bottom out on the stock seat after about 30-45 minutes of riding. Should I just install gel seat pads or go for a compleatly new seat and backrest? I have heard mixed reviews on the BRP Comfort seat and the Ultimate seats. There are also the Diamond seats. Has anyone tried more than one of these? I'm 5'9" and weigh 200lbs. My wife is 5'7" and about 125lbs. we would ALSO like some feedback on the passenger armrests. Which passenger armrests are the "strongest"? Factory or aftermarket?
    2014 RT ltd , original original Cognac

Spyder Garage

Sarge, from my following the seat topic since getting my Spyder five years ago the "mixed" reviews on the BRP Comfort Seat have tended more toward the positive than the negative. In my case, I needed it for the leg room and my weight was secondary, about 15 lb less than you. You need to remember that with a Comfort Seat, or any seat that moves you aft you are going to face a greater distance to the bars. That's why a number of us taller riders also opted for the Tri-Axis handlebars. With the Comfort Seat BRP compensates for the rearward movement of the driver's lumbar support by adjusting the taper of the top of the lumbar support area (Comfort Seat, right picture, Stock seat, left picture). FWIW, my bride, who does not often ride with me but has done a long weekend rally tour weighs the same as your wife and has never questioned the passenger space afforded her by the Comfort Seat. With all the above said, only your butt is going to know what feels best. If you are looking for improvement with the least amount of shekels involved, IMO you should consider a gel seat insert from Motorcycle Dave or an Air Hawk. After market seats, Ultimate, Russell Day Long and others considerably raise the price of poker.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I love my tallboy Ultimate seat - I'm not tall but very stiff and the extra 1.5" makes a huge difference. My wife is 5'6" and says she has plenty of room (I also installed the Ultimate passenger backrest which gives her an extra inch or so). Also used the Ultimate passenger armrests, she likes them.

I added an Airhawk pillow so I'd set up a bit higher - it reduces the pressure where my thighs touch the seat edges.

This is a very individual decision and many say their Mustang, Diamond, and Corbin are the best. Try as many as you can (I believe Ultimate is the only company that lets you try a seat for two weeks and return it if it doesn't suite you).

HOWEVER, the one seat I've never heard anything but good about is the Russell Day Long - they are custom made based on pictures you send in with you on your bike an specific needs you give them. However, you have to send them your old seat and they construct the new seat on top of that.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

If you don't want to spend $1K, BRP Comfort is a good one. I have had three of them. One on the 09, the 11, and the 14. As the years have progressed...that have been improved. I can go about 50 miles on the OEM and have to get off.

All five of my Spyders have had the OEM seats replaced. My other two had Corbins. 08 and 10. Corbins are love/hate. The do not soften up or "break-in." Those of us that like them say they are "supportive." I have over 56,000 miles on Corbins.

Also many other brands to choose from...but they will cost $1K or more.

The suggestion to test sit them at an event will give you an idea of what you like or not...without spending a lot of money up front.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If your looking for a deal on the ultimate seat here it is https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-BigBoy-For-RT and it has the gas door in it so you don't have to lift the seat. If you want to try a different seat anyway.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    it has the gas door in it so you don't have to lift the seat. If you want to try a different seat anyway.
    I agree with the fuel door option - I know both Corbin and Ultimate offer one. Much easier than lifting the seat, particularly if you’ve got luggage on it.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

I tried gel pads, Ultimate Tall Boy and BRP Comfort Seat. Comfort Seat proved to be the most comfortable for me. Wife likes it also. If you can try the different ones, you should do that because everyone's body is different.

I researched the passenger armrest and choose the BRP armrest. Wife likes them and the fact that they fold up is a good feature.
    2018 Spyder RT Limited
    Asphalt Gray
    Can Am Passenger Armrests
    Can Am Comfort Seat
    Spyder Accessories Floating Footpegs
    Utopia Driver Backrest
    Bajaron Sway Bar
    Sena 20s Bluetooth
    Lidlocks Helmet Holders
    F4 Tall and Wide Tinted Windshield
    Fobo Tire Monitor
    Lamonster Spyderdock Cell Phone Holder
    Sheepskin Seat Cover
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    Magic Mirror
    Can Am Trailer Hitch
    Missing Belt Guard

Wish List - LED Headlights and Fog lights

Spyder Garage

Corburn makes a nice set of arm rests, the wife loves them! I put a gel pad in my stock limited seat, it helped my butt a little, would love to try some thing new!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl